American Dream P-40 Reno 2019!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Dream P-40 Reno 2019!

And speaking of Sparky a bowl -- seems like some people here really missed my joke...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      Because the P-40 is a big draggy mess, and Allisons don't make power. If the little Yak can only do 360, that P-40 will be in the low 300s at best. Besides, they aren't coming to win, just to have some fun. Allisons only have one use in competitive unlimited racing. Donating connecting rods to full on race Merlin builds.
      Full Noise is running a STOCK Allison, they had a 'massaged' motor last year that didnt work out, and the motor in it this year is the same one that they swapped in the thunder storm, then have flown it all year since and went back to Reno.
      Now find a late model V-1710 like an F series used in P-82s or G series, and they are capable of up to 2000hp STOCK, do a little work and they will produce power, look at the power some of the old Hydroplanes were getting out of those Allison's that 'don't make power' The Tractor pull guys also got some big numbers out of the V-1710.
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Regarding P-40s, here's an interesting quote from Thom about P-40 vs P-51. It fits what others have said over the years.

"- Some comments from Thom after the flight:

"Having flown the P-40 with numerous P-51's, my observation is that it's superior in performance in pretty much every regard at the same power settings below 250, perhaps 280. It was surprising how well the P-40 performed compared to the P-51. It'll out climb, out dive and out turn the Mustang handily. All that said, the Mustang will leave the P-40 in the dust at higher speed and altitudes.

If I went to war, I'd much rather be in the 51, but for what we do, I'll take the Warhawk any day.""

Quote from this web page -- excellent viewing for anybody who loves P-40s or fine photography...

Spaceflight and Military/Civilian Aviation, Nature & Scenic Imagery by Award-Winning Aerospace Photographer and Writer Mike Killian

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
          Full Noise is running a STOCK Allison, they had a 'massaged' motor last year that didnt work out, and the motor in it this year is the same one that they swapped in the thunder storm, then have flown it all year since and went back to Reno.
          Now find a late model V-1710 like an F series used in P-82s or G series, and they are capable of up to 2000hp STOCK, do a little work and they will produce power, look at the power some of the old Hydroplanes were getting out of those Allison's that 'don't make power' The Tractor pull guys also got some big numbers out of the V-1710.
          The boat and tractor guys were doing that with big turbo setups that wouldn't fit in a warbird engine bay.

Comment

Its my understanding that the Allisons do really well below about 7000 feet. We've seen Mrs Virginia fend off stock D model Mustangs in the past. Shanty Irish was doing pretty well even though he was limited on the power he could run. (By Dusty, the plane had plenty more in it.)

I'd love to see someone show up with a race prepped Allison and see what it could do. Apparently there is a lot to be gained with the cylinder heads. I was talking to my local machinist who was doing some Allison heads for Mark Legarra's project and he was saying there was a lot of potential to the engine if the heads are done right. I don't know what the numbers were, but the machinist had hit the figured target numbers with about half the work he thought the ports would need.

I thought I heard Graeme mention that he thought Full Noise would run 400+ with a hot engine (but not one that overheats like last years.) He was running take off power every day he was up this year and the plane didn't miss a beat.

Will

Comment

A real problem with Allisons is apparently the nose gearing. Mustangs really need the .420 transport nose case to run around 400mph and there is nothing really comparable commonly available for the Allison. In the aafo archives from a few years back there is a post from Mike Barrow talking about this. There are endless but interesting threads about Merlin vs Allison in the archives here. The bottom line always seems to be that Allisons are great daily driver motors but Merlins will go a lot faster a lot cheaper if you take into account what you'd have to spend on an Allison to produce similar results.

Neal
              Last edited by wingman; 09-22-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X