Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reno 2018 Photo thread. Post what you shot, the more the better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2018 Photo thread. Post what you shot, the more the better.

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]24034[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24035[/ATTACH]

So for some reason when I upload from my computer, the progress bar pops up like the pics are uploading, it reaches 100% then the image vanishes. Or for some of the images, it starts to upload then says the upload failed. Even on seriously cropped images. I don't get it.

Will
    Had the same issue. Thought perhaps it was a "size matters" thing. Since I brought it up to Wayne a while back (see another Off Topic thread), it's been pretty good.

On another note: I've noticed that from time to time when I try to reply to a thread or an IM, it locks up...can't type anything. Have to log out, log in and try again. First world problems for sure but something we should pass along to Wayne.

Hey there Wayne...thoughts?
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
      Had the same issue. Thought perhaps it was a "size matters" thing. Since I brought it up to Wayne a while back (see another Off Topic thread), it's been pretty good.

On another note: I've noticed that from time to time when I try to reply to a thread or an IM, it locks up...can't type anything. Have to log out, log in and try again. First world problems for sure but something we should pass along to Wayne.

Hey there Wayne...thoughts?
      I don't think it was a size deal. One shot was about a 60% crop and wouldn't upload. The pic of Full Noise is full sized, and it went fine, but others wouldn't upload. I'm not sure what was going on.

Will

Comment

Image size isn't the issue, usually it's that the "file" size is too big. The server has a built in resizing/sharpen function so that all images larger than the display format are downsized, both in file size, and viewing dimensions.. File sizes with jpg's vary wildly depending on content and color... red files are much larger than one with a lot of blue in it.. go figure, it's just one of the tricks that Mark Kallio (pylon1.org) taught me.. back in the day, that guy was THE master of image manipulation for web.. remember when all we had were modems on phone lines?? LOL!!

The text issues, unsure but I've noticed the entire site loading a bit slow lately... which brings up the fact that we have to move off the one we're on to one that supports a different operating system. The system we have now is not going to be supported any longer so migration to new box is going to have to happen. Thanks to Donald McMullin in a different thread I've not yet answered, we have immediate funds available to get that move done! Renewal day is middle of next month, I am going to try to get er done by then..

Try the file size thing, Photoshop's "save for web" utility is great for getting files properly "sized" set to about 70-80% quality and images will go from their size out of camera (usually QUITE large for today's camera's, even small ones) Right click file and choose properties, file size should be listed there.
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC86471.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	229255

Name:	_WC86470.jpg
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	229256Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC62452.jpg
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	229257Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC86962.jpg
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	229258Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC87562.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	229259

I think it must be a file size issue rather than an actual image size issue. It wants no part of an image that is a large file size. That is a pain.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            Image size isn't the issue, usually it's that the "file" size is too big. The server has a built in resizing/sharpen function so that all images larger than the display format are downsized, both in file size, and viewing dimensions.. File sizes with jpg's vary wildly depending on content and color... red files are much larger than one with a lot of blue in it.. go figure, it's just one of the tricks that Mark Kallio (pylon1.org) taught me.. back in the day, that guy was THE master of image manipulation for web.. remember when all we had were modems on phone lines?? LOL!!

The text issues, unsure but I've noticed the entire site loading a bit slow lately... which brings up the fact that we have to move off the one we're on to one that supports a different operating system. The system we have now is not going to be supported any longer so migration to new box is going to have to happen. Thanks to Donald McMullin in a different thread I've not yet answered, we have immediate funds available to get that move done! Renewal day is middle of next month, I am going to try to get er done by then..

Try the file size thing, Photoshop's "save for web" utility is great for getting files properly "sized" set to about 70-80% quality and images will go from their size out of camera (usually QUITE large for today's camera's, even small ones) Right click file and choose properties, file size should be listed there.
            Well crap. I don't have the storage space to save multiple versions for web and for printing. Some of my images are 20+mb Jpgs. (All the really good ones.) Many are 15+mb. Still, I've got one image that won't load that is 2621x1889 at 2.57mb that flat out won't load at all. I get a pop up box that reads "www.aafo.com says _WC88886.jpg: upload of the file failed" I get this on a couple other images as well.

Will

Comment

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Comment

Joel Swager and "Dreadnought" landing after winning the 2018 Unlimited Gold Race

Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 12-24-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
                    Jerl Swager and "Dreadnought" landing after winning the 2018 Unlimited Gold Race

I think you mean Joel Swager.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      I think you mean Joel Swager.

Will
                      Yeppers. Thanks I corrected it.

Kenn

Comment

Just a quick word, if I may...

I am continually amazed at the photographic expertise exhibited on this site in capturing the worlds fastest motorsport. An incredible collection of imagery that rivals anything I've seen, anywhere. Made more impressive by the fact that we're talking about capturing images of fast moving aircraft in challenging lighting...and yet, tack-sharp pics are the standard!

All of you push the rest of us mere mortals to challenge our skills behind the shutter. Well done...well done.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you AAFO'ers out there. Here's to exciting subjects and wondrous light!
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR;
                          I think it must be a file size issue rather than an actual image size issue. It wants no part of an image that is a large file size. That is a pain.

Will
                          I'll look into whether the server software is able to both resize (which it does) and optimize as well. I believe that it does due to the limits of disk space and load times, we have two drives on the server, one we back up to daily, so we can't fill both, we're doing well for overall disk space available due to the software doing its job If it's just an uploaded file size issue that I can fix with a setting that does not overload the box, I'll do it!!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Whup.. I think it's a PHP issue with max filesize upload.. pretty much a MAJOR PITA to dig in and change the script directives there... How bout running file through as "save for web' or any good jpg editing software saved to 80% quality and your images will look fine saved with any software. Adobe's "save for web' feature is far superior to any other I've seen in this area..

You could essentially save a reduced copy which you then delete... would that work?? As someone with a 5 drive RAID box sitting beside me that I can no longer access with my laptop because I managed to drown my last one and I can't find any that are made with the expansion slot that they all used to come with where you could add things like ESATA cables.... RAID box is, unfortunately, ESATA...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Name:	_WC87314.jpg
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	229272Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC87690.jpg
Size:	900.9 KB
ID:	229275

Name:	_WC86868.jpg
Size:	549.5 KB
ID:	229273Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC87677.jpg
Size:	685.1 KB
ID:	229276

Name:	_WC87657.jpg
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	229274Click image for larger version

Name:	_WC86900.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	229277

A couple more from Thursday.

Will
                              Last edited by RAD2LTR; 12-26-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X