My 2018 NCAR Wrap-Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2018 NCAR Wrap-Up!

Well all the 55th year is done... bittersweet as always. There was plenty of fussin’ about the Unlimited field, but that will never stop me from going! This is my personal “wrap-up” and thoughts about each class this year! I put the classes in order of what I personally thought were least to most exciting!

Biplane: Biplane is one I typically don’t tend watch too much of (and this year wasn’t too different). I have plenty of respect for each racer in every class, but generally I’m walking around the pits or statics during the Biplane races. If Phantom ever comes across some competition it’ll be great to watch a battle up front, but for now it’s not too attractive for me. Andrew Buehler’s mishap in Mistress was an interesting one and probably the most dramatic part of the racing, I did watch it via the livestream with very close-up replays and such.

T-6: The T-6 class had a great lineup of 4 past winners but this year was not nearly as exciting as I expected. Lohmar did a great job defending his title and I have utmost respect for him. I’m also glad that Rushing was able to come back after a year absence and take 2nd! I was cheering for him as I’ve seen his plane (and the condor boys) over the house a bunch! I’m hoping these 4 continue to give us some close racing in the future.

F1: I tend to watch all of the Gold races and sometimes the silver here and there, especially if a gold capable plane happened to fall back into it or qualified in silver. I didn’t get to witness the Thursday gold heat but I’ve heard awesome things (one of the best races of the week). I was incredibly impressed with Limitless and I assume most are as well. It was sad that Endeavor couldn’t be up front with Limitless on Sunday, also sad that Fraed Naught did not start. That was going to be the F1 race for the ages!!! We have that to look forward to in the future! Major shoutout to Justin, that was awesome to see and I’m very happy for him and how much his effort paid off. Limitless is the best lookin’ F1 out there!

Jet: I’m usually a big fan of Jet class for the speed factor of it since there isn’t the drama of maydays and blown engines nearly as often as Sport and UNL. This year was a good one! Even though American Spirit was relatively locked in first for most of the weekend, the class offered more than enough thrills for me. Starting with the midair of course... I witnessed it in person and didn’t realize what happened until 2 maydays were called. The pictures explained the situation much more in depth. As already stated in other threads, I’m relieved this ended as it did. Sunday silver also offered some great racing. Lachie and Jeff put on a great show and I was cheering for Lachie to make the pass all race!! Gold was pretty exciting watching Pete Z catch up to Pete S, but I wish Pete Z was up next to American Spirit like he was in the heats. Nonetheless I enjoyed it!

Unlimited: Now you might say that Unlimited’s weren’t exciting this year and compared to last years Gold race I agree. Sunday did offer some AWESOME racing and I won’t let that slip by. The Silver race to begin with, GREAT!!! Watching Speedball run pretty fast was great to see, and watching Bunny come up from behind running a good bit faster than all weekend had me standing up hoping for her to catch the lead! Awesome stock warbird racing IMO. The P-63 running laps a little above 300 was stunning to see as well. As someone gunning for Miss America all weekend I was excited as all hell watching Gold! Friday and Saturday had me concerned that Lady 11 just didn’t have it in her this year, but Tiger’s prediction that Doc had some more left in her got me excited as ever. Doc certainly showed that with a SPECTACULAR race against Sawbones and some impressive speeds to boot. I would’ve loved to see Miss A catch Dread but watching her race Sawbones and make that pass on the last day was a perfect way to end it.

Sport: I think it’s in agreeance that Sport was the class this year. Thursday through Sunday I watched pretty much every race in all 4 groupings and enjoyed them all. Thursday’s gold heat had me jumping in my room watching the livestream. WHAT A RACE!!! Then the focus was onto watching 181 work their way up the ladder to make Gold on Sunday. Each race 181 was in had me cheering for Karl and I loved every second. It was heartbreaking to see Karl pull her up after coming down the chute. Awesome showing for the plane’s first year and I am 100% sure it was my favorite looking plane this year. Now Saturday and Sunday Gold don’t have the words to describe them! Both races were nothing shy of exciting. I was cheering for Andy every day he raced and was smiling ear to ear all 24 laps over the 4 days!!!! What a great show he put on and congratulations to the One Moment Team for doing the seemingly impossible!

Can’t wait for next year. Every class had a spectacular lineup this year and sounds like are only going to get better and better from here out. On to 2019!!!
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-17-2018, 08:15 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: My 2018 NCAR Wrap-Up!

Nice writeup! There will be quibbles and additions galore I'm sure, but you covered a lot of bases. I particularly agree about Karl Grove. I don't think I've ever met the man but I've been a huge fan of his since his Biplane Gold Race period. I admire anybody who can run a Pitts at over 200 mph and he was a photographer's delight with his incredible low, tight, and precise race lines. He's a master at his craft and a pleasure to watch...

IF1 is going to turn some heads the next few years, at least for those who are fans enough to get up early and be there for real Racing!

Thanks for the work on this...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Nice writeup! There will be quibbles and additions galore I'm sure, but you covered a lot of bases. I particularly agree about Karl Grove. I don't think I've ever met the man but I've been a huge fan of his since his Biplane Gold Race period. I admire anybody who can run a Pitts at over 200 mph and he was a photographer's delight with his incredible low, tight, and precise race lines. He's a master at his craft and a pleasure to watch...

IF1 is going to turn some heads the next few years, at least for those who are fans enough to get up early and be there for real Racing!

Thanks for the work on this...

Neal
      Glad you enjoyed Neal, and thanks for the barrage of posts over the weekend, you helped spark some good conversations I enjoyed reading.

Karl and his crew were awesome, welcoming guys and we stopped by their pit every afternoon. Him alongside Andy are going to be the perfect faces for growing the sport class
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Grumbling from some spectators about Strega, Voodoo and others not being there to race. But all in all there was some pretty good racing in all classes. More and more I'm becoming a big fan of the sport class. I'm glad we went.

Comment

I'll add my two cents. The Unlimited Class is where it's at for me. This year was a disappointment in regard to the Unlimited Class. I knew ahead of time who the participants where, but I was hoping there might be a surprise that could give Dreadnought a run for their money. It wasn't to be. I'm glad Miss America was back and did as well as it did.

Gold Finger was more about being pretty and look at what my money can buy. Parading around for show doesn't get it for me. I realize my comment might be kind of harsh, but that's the way I see it. There are going to be some that will say I should be appreciative that they come. In response to that I also spent some serious money during the week and my expectation wasn't met.

Reflecting on the Unlimited Class I wonder why Strega and Voodoo didn't show up with stock engines and do the same as Gold Finger. I know about Voodoo being owned by the POF in Chino and I'm also aware money is the bottom line, but in the past I've seen contenders show up with a U-Haul Trailer and a barrel of oil and go racing.

Sport Class was interesting and held my attention. Both #30 and #39 put it all on the line. It was very interesting following updates here about #30 and seeing those mod's proving themselves. (As a side note, Facebook sucks and all the information gathering that they are doing is going to come back and bite us. Facebook isn't the place for me to see racing updates.).

AAFO.COM is the place to be.

The remaining racing classes don't interest me that much. I'm not up early enough for the Formula One class and the T6 Class is more about pilot skills then horse power. The Jet Class isn't racing when you have to "Check Speed." I realize that was a few years back, but I want to see smoke coming out the rear and the plane climbing for altitude knowing the throttle was pushed all the way forward. That's racing.

The Air Show in general didn't impress me, but trying to end on a positive note, I was impressed with what Fred Telling brought to the table. He put his own money in as a Platinum Sponsor. He also brought two planes, a P-51 Mustang and an AT-6. I also note that in Reserved Seating tickets were awarded for the Checkered Flag Club for a one day opportunity. That was a nice touch to get people into Reserved Seating for upcoming Air Races. I hope they continue that. Email updates reaching out to Air Race Fans was something new and mending fences and getting past participants to come back was worth noting.

Comment

The thought did cross my mind that Rare Bear, Voodoo or Strega with a stock motor could pick up a win. But bringing any race plane to Reno costs "serious" money.

Comment

Not to mention Czechmate! If John Moore ever wanted a Gold win this would have been the year. I suspect that a healthy #86 might well even have beaten Voodoo or Strega with stock motors.

Neal

Comment

"As a side note, Facebook sucks and all the information gathering that they are doing is going to come back and bite us. Facebook isn't the place for me to see racing updates."

So sadly true -- Faceplant has already repeatedly bitten America on the ass and it's only gonna get worse. That is a very bad and dangerous place and America is just too stupid and greedy to realize that we're being had.

Neal

Comment

"As a side note, Facebook sucks and all the information gathering that they are doing is going to come back and bite us. Facebook isn't the place for me to see racing updates."

So sadly true -- Faceplant has already repeatedly bitten America on the ass and it's only gonna get worse. That is a very bad and dangerous place and America is just too stupid and greedy to realize that we're being had.

Neal
                  I hear ya, I have never signed up. Sharing your private life with the whole world - third world scammers, thieves and general dirtbags just does not seem logical?

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
                    I'll add my two cents. The Unlimited Class is where it's at for me. This year was a disappointment in regard to the Unlimited Class. I knew ahead of time who the participants where, but I was hoping there might be a surprise that could give Dreadnought a run for their money. It wasn't to be. I'm glad Miss America was back and did as well as it did.

Gold Finger was more about being pretty and look at what my money can buy. Parading around for show doesn't get it for me. I realize my comment might be kind of harsh, but that's the way I see it. There are going to be some that will say I should be appreciative that they come. In response to that I also spent some serious money during the week and my expectation wasn't met.

Reflecting on the Unlimited Class I wonder why Strega and Voodoo didn't show up with stock engines and do the same as Gold Finger. I know about Voodoo being owned by the POF in Chino and I'm also aware money is the bottom line, but in the past I've seen contenders show up with a U-Haul Trailer and a barrel of oil and go racing.

Sport Class was interesting and held my attention. Both #30 and #39 put it all on the line. It was very interesting following updates here about #30 and seeing those mod's proving themselves. (As a side note, Facebook sucks and all the information gathering that they are doing is going to come back and bite us. Facebook isn't the place for me to see racing updates.).

The remaining racing classes don't interest me that much. I'm not up early enough for the Formula One class and the T6 Class is more about pilot skills then horse power. The Jet Class isn't racing when you have to "Check Speed." I realize that was a few years back, but I want to see smoke coming out the rear and the plane climbing for altitude knowing the throttle was pushed all the way forward. That's racing.

The Air Show in general didn't impress me, but trying to end on a positive note, I was impressed with what Fred Telling brought to the table. He put his own money in as a Platinum Sponsor. He also brought two planes, a P-51 Mustang and an AT-6. I also note that in Reserved Seating tickets were awarded for the Checkered Flag Club for a one day opportunity. That was a nice touch to get people into Reserved Seating for upcoming Air Races. I hope they continue that. Email updates reaching out to Air Race Fans was something new and mending fences and getting past participants to come back was worth noting.
                    Having been to most Reno races since 1967 I can remember on more than one occasion when it seemed that the races were doomed and would be gone forever soon. This year with the unlimited field being a little sparse it was the perfect opportunity to pay more attention to the other classes. I have been a sport racer fan since it began and I believe that we are on the verge of some very exciting times with that class and the speeds. I have always enjoyed the F1 class--such small airplanes with such small engines yet going infinitely faster that any Indy car or NASCAR. Never seems like there's been a ton of competition in the biplane class--at least in the gold field--someone seems to dominate that pretty well for long periods of time. I'm still learning to appreciate the jet class and to me the T-6's are noisy and whoever is on the pole position has a 98% chance of winning. As for my favorite class--the unlimiteds--yes this year was a somewhat down year--however--when was the last unlimited race you saw where you got to hear a R-4360, R-3350--my most favorite sound of all, an R-2800, an Allison, a Merlin--one stock, the other semi race prepped with a much different sound that a stock Merlin and the sweet sound of a Bristol Centaurus? Every one of them was music to my ears--all in one race! Yes, speeds were much slower so you look elsewhere to get your enjoyment--that did it for me. It's over for this year and I'm looking forward to next year already--can't wait to see what all transpires!

Comment

Not to mention Czechmate! If John Moore ever wanted a Gold win this would have been the year. I suspect that a healthy #86 might well even have beaten Voodoo or Strega with stock motors.

Neal
                      Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Czechmate, that would have been very interesting.

As for farcebook, I joined about eight years ago. My account got hijacked and all of my personal info was changed. Got no use for it.

Comment

To me, they were awesome.

Let's bring on more museum warbirds & privately owned warbirds into the Museum and Silver classes.

"Get your bird out for some exercise, turn some laps over the high desert sage brush and Juniper trees." What a way to spend a week!

It will add Reno Air Race pedigree to it's history

And what can you say about the Pin-up artists. Great stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWR_0257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	229066Click image for larger version

Name:	HWR_9866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	229065

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post

Certainly appreciate your opinions, sir. We all have them and they should be respected, no question. That said, it's important to note that each and every class is out there pushing the envelope for their particular airframe, within the rules of their class and those established by RARA and, more importantly, the FAA. One must take those facts into account and appreciate what these men and women put on the line every day to ensure you can show up at Stead in September...whether that's at 0800hrs or 1300hrs.

One of the factors that seems to permeate this event is the perception that only the "heavy iron" or 400mph laps count... the rest is window-dressing. Nothing could be further from the truth. If this event is to survive well into the future, I believe we should embrace and support ALL classes. To do otherwise does a disservice to the event in its entirety.

As for the airshow aspect, it's complicated. Next year the T-birds will no doubt enhance that aspect. Time will tell what other acts will add to the experience. The ICAS convention in Las Vegas in December will go a long way in filling our that scorecard.

All in all...a good week or racing and everyone went home in one piece. Wash...rinse...repeat!

My $0.02...for what it's worth. It was a great week.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                            To me, they were awesome.

Let's bring on more museum warbirds & privately owned warbirds into the Museum and Silver classes.

"Get your bird out for some exercise, turn some laps over the high desert sage brush and Juniper trees." What a way to spend a week!

It will add Reno Air Race pedigree to it's history

And what can you say about the Pin-up artists. Great stuff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23780[/ATTACH]
                            "Get your bird out for some exercise"? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dec View Post
                              when was the last unlimited race you saw where you got to hear a R-4360, R-3350--my most favorite sound of all, an R-2800, an Allison, a Merlin--one stock, the other semi race prepped with a much different sound that a stock Merlin and the sweet sound of a Bristol Centaurus? Every one of them was music to my ears--all in one race! Yes, speeds were much slower so you look elsewhere to get your enjoyment--that did it for me. It's over for this year and I'm looking forward to next year already--can't wait to see what all transpires!
                              Second this! It was an exciting year even if the speeds were down in the Unlimited class. Looking forward to next year!
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X