Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 2018 NCAR Wrap-Up!

Default Re: My 2018 NCAR Wrap-Up!

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Not to mention Czechmate! If John Moore ever wanted a Gold win this would have been the year. I suspect that a healthy #86 might well even have beaten Voodoo or Strega with stock motors.

Neal
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Czechmate, that would have been very interesting.

As for farcebook, I joined about eight years ago. My account got hijacked and all of my personal info was changed. Got no use for it.

To me, they were awesome.

Let's bring on more museum warbirds & privately owned warbirds into the Museum and Silver classes.

"Get your bird out for some exercise, turn some laps over the high desert sage brush and Juniper trees." What a way to spend a week!

It will add Reno Air Race pedigree to it's history

And what can you say about the Pin-up artists. Great stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWR_0257.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	23781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWR_9866.jpg 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	23780

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I'll add my two cents. The Unlimited Class is where it's at for me. This year was a disappointment in regard to the Unlimited Class. I knew ahead of time who the participants where, but I was hoping there might be a surprise that could give Dreadnought a run for their money. It wasn't to be. I'm glad Miss America was back and did as well as it did.

Gold Finger was more about being pretty and look at what my money can buy. Parading around for show doesn't get it for me. I realize my comment might be kind of harsh, but that's the way I see it. There are going to be some that will say I should be appreciative that they come. In response to that I also spent some serious money during the week and my expectation wasn't met.

Reflecting on the Unlimited Class I wonder why Strega and Voodoo didn't show up with stock engines and do the same as Gold Finger. I know about Voodoo being owned by the POF in Chino and I'm also aware money is the bottom line, but in the past I've seen contenders show up with a U-Haul Trailer and a barrel of oil and go racing.

Sport Class was interesting and held my attention. Both #30 and #39 put it all on the line. It was very interesting following updates here about #30 and seeing those mod's proving themselves. (As a side note, Facebook sucks and all the information gathering that they are doing is going to come back and bite us. Facebook isn't the place for me to see racing updates.).

AAFO.COM is the place to be.

The remaining racing classes don't interest me that much. I'm not up early enough for the Formula One class and the T6 Class is more about pilot skills then horse power. The Jet Class isn't racing when you have to "Check Speed." I realize that was a few years back, but I want to see smoke coming out the rear and the plane climbing for altitude knowing the throttle was pushed all the way forward. That's racing.

The Air Show in general didn't impress me, but trying to end on a positive note, I was impressed with what Fred Telling brought to the table. He put his own money in as a Platinum Sponsor. He also brought two planes, a P-51 Mustang and an AT-6. I also note that in Reserved Seating tickets were awarded for the Checkered Flag Club for a one day opportunity. That was a nice touch to get people into Reserved Seating for upcoming Air Races. I hope they continue that. Email updates reaching out to Air Race Fans was something new and mending fences and getting past participants to come back was worth noting.
    Certainly appreciate your opinions, sir. We all have them and they should be respected, no question. That said, it's important to note that each and every class is out there pushing the envelope for their particular airframe, within the rules of their class and those established by RARA and, more importantly, the FAA. One must take those facts into account and appreciate what these men and women put on the line every day to ensure you can show up at Stead in September...whether that's at 0800hrs or 1300hrs.

One of the factors that seems to permeate this event is the perception that only the "heavy iron" or 400mph laps count... the rest is window-dressing. Nothing could be further from the truth. If this event is to survive well into the future, I believe we should embrace and support ALL classes. To do otherwise does a disservice to the event in its entirety.

As for the airshow aspect, it's complicated. Next year the T-birds will no doubt enhance that aspect. Time will tell what other acts will add to the experience. The ICAS convention in Las Vegas in December will go a long way in filling our that scorecard.

All in all...a good week or racing and everyone went home in one piece. Wash...rinse...repeat!

My $0.02...for what it's worth. It was a great week.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post

Let's bring on more museum warbirds & privately owned warbirds into the Museum and Silver classes.

"Get your bird out for some exercise, turn some laps over the high desert sage brush and Juniper trees." What a way to spend a week!

"Get your bird out for some exercise"? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    when was the last unlimited race you saw where you got to hear a R-4360, R-3350--my most favorite sound of all, an R-2800, an Allison, a Merlin--one stock, the other semi race prepped with a much different sound that a stock Merlin and the sweet sound of a Bristol Centaurus? Every one of them was music to my ears--all in one race! Yes, speeds were much slower so you look elsewhere to get your enjoyment--that did it for me. It's over for this year and I'm looking forward to next year already--can't wait to see what all transpires!
    Second this! It was an exciting year even if the speeds were down in the Unlimited class. Looking forward to next year!

It sounds like you're a fan of parades, not racing. It's not an air show, it's the National Championship Air Races (races implies racing, not parades).

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    It sounds like you're a fan of parades, not racing. It's not an air show, it's the National Championship Air Races (races implies racing, not parades).
    Your assumption is wrong. I said museum (bronze) and silver class. What is so wrong with expandingi those 2 classes?

Unlimited would be still be there for the fast racer class. Reality is what our childrens generation will see, not large fields of
    super modified warbirds like our generation was use too. I would still hope they can see and hear these exceptional warbirds fly the course, even if is just parade laps.

For true racing we have the other classes, T6, sport, jet, formula and biplane. All of which provide some great racing.

This year I thoroughly enjoyed the racing in these class. Every class put up some great competition. Sport class gold set the bar.

Your assumption is wrong. I said museum (bronze) and silver class. What is so wrong with expandingi those 2 classes?

Unlimited would be still be there for the fast racer class. Reality is what our childrens generation will see, not large fields of
    super modified warbirds like our generation was use too. I would still hope they can see and hear these exceptional warbirds fly the course, even if is just parade laps.

For true racing we have the other classes, T6, sport, jet, formula and biplane. All of which provide some great racing.

This year I thoroughly enjoyed the racing in these class. Every class put up some great competition. Sport class gold set the bar.
    I agree with you Dawg, I saw a lot of competitive racing in all classes. IMO the highly modified racers in the unlimited class have always gone in cycles. If air racing is strong overall, it will garner some interest from sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    "As a side note, Facebook sucks and all the information gathering that they are doing is going to come back and bite us. Facebook isn't the place for me to see racing updates."

So sadly true -- Faceplant has already repeatedly bitten America on the ass and it's only gonna get worse. That is a very bad and dangerous place and America is just too stupid and greedy to realize that we're being had.

Neal
    Repeat as necessary.

Unlimited would be still be there for the fast racer class. Reality is what our childrens generation will see, not large fields of super modified warbirds like our generation was use too. I would still hope they can see and hear these exceptional warbirds fly the course, even if is just parade laps.

And to add my two cents ... there was racing in the unlimited class this year! That silver race was fun to watch! Miss America did pass Sawbones on Sunday, and there was one day were Goldfinger and 924 went back and forth.

Frankly in all the classes there are going to be some races that look like parades, or maybe parades where only two planes are actually racing back and forth for a position. I think this is just part of the dynamic of racing in general ... be it air racing, auto racing, or cross country skiing ... there were plenty of unlimited races in the 80's, 90's, and 2000's in which the order of the field was pretty set by the end of the pace lap baring maydays. So I don't think the unlimited class is now suddenly void of racing because Rare Bear, Voodoo, or Strega didn't show up, it just may not have quite the same top speeds that it once did.
    Chris