Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited fill in the blank

Default Re: Unlimited fill in the blank

[QUOTE=wingman;136245]Great reply Thomas -- I agree with all of it.

500 is just a number -- I well remember when it was a real feat to break 430 mph and no Unlimiteds were doing so regularly or reliably. Even 450 is really a pretty recent phenomenon.

For the Sport Class racers 500 MPH is more than just a number. The Legacy wing has another limitation besides airspeed. That limitation is Mach number. The designer of the wing has advised us that it is good to .60 Mach. That equates to about 456 MPH on a standard day. So, anything above that...…………….????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Hummm… Had a few problems lately with threads not showing correctly, this was one of them. I finally was able to edit the title and remove opening and closing parentheses symbols.. looks like certain symbols may not fly in the database.. be careful how you title threads and don't use ( or ) if I discover how to alter this, I'll do so..
    Wayne,please explain. ??????????

Quote Originally Posted by krts View Post
    Wayne,please explain. ??????????
    When I originally posted, the title had parentheses. For some reason, that created a link back to the home page. Wayne remove the parentheses so the thread could be opened

Recently heard from a semi- retired kit builder with auto conversion experience. I don't think he'd mind me repeating, since it was a public post. I've no doubt some of you are already aware:

All carbon airframe with retract gear, already in the works and good for 500+ mph Vne and 1000 HP.

Missing link: PSRU that will reliably handle the HP, at reasonable cost
    This alludes to what Thomas said earlier. There's untapped potential. I'm confident he'll solve the PSRU issue.

If someone has an urge to go really fast maybe the Cornell/Jackson project could be purchased and completed. It would be awesome if some of the projects out there were finally finished, it would certainly breathe some fresh air back into what seems like an awfully stale Unlimited field.

If someone has an urge to go really fast maybe the Cornell/Jackson project could be purchased and completed. It would be awesome if some of the projects out there were finally finished, it would certainly breathe some fresh air back into what seems like an awfully stale Unlimited field.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiacub View Post

For the Sport Class racers 500 MPH is more than just a number. The Legacy wing has another limitation besides airspeed. That limitation is Mach number. The designer of the wing has advised us that it is good to .60 Mach. That equates to about 456 MPH on a standard day. So, anything above that...…………….????????????????
    So anything above that will have to be a new airframe and probably a new powerplant, which is very exciting to think about.
    "young" Thomas

" If someone has an urge to go really fast maybe the Cornell/Jackson project could be purchased and completed. It would be awesome if some of the projects out there were finally finished, it would certainly breathe some fresh air back into what seems like an awfully stale Unlimited field. "

True, but I think it would make a lot more financial sense to buy a seat in Strega and a big time Nixon motor -- a well proven combination. Another real possibility would be to pick up 232 and redevelop it. 232 has proven it can run 480 to 490 when the stars are aligned -- absolutely no reason it couldn't do it again with a Kerchenfaut clone running the program.

There are a lot of real question marks in my mind about the 2 unfinished new designs. Why take chances on a new unproven design -- especially an airplane as just plain big as these airplanes are, when Strega and 232 are out there just needing money to go fast again.

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 09-22-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    There is a reason that project was never completed by Rod's crew. There were some engineering issues found that basically made it impossible to finish. Shockwave might still be doable.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    So anything above that will have to be a new airframe and probably a new powerplant, which is very exciting to think about.
    For now at least, maybe think "NXT"? Or at least that wing design and profile I don't think Jon's design has by any means reached its potential. There was some very high powered thinking in that design. I've always wondered what the VNe of that wing might be.

Neal