Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sport Class

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    Considering Andrew had never finished a Gold heat before, the odds were still in Jeff's favor if he took the start.
    He’s 3 of 6 for finishing (13,15,18). He’s had second place wrapped up two of the other three years (14,17) but Andy would rather try to win than coast in second.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

I admire Andrew's attitude! He's a Racer...

Neal

Comment

Also, to pick nits, Race5 phrased his comment as "Gold Heat". In my mind 1a, 2A etc. are clearly "Gold Heats", and on that score Race 30 was four for four this year alone...

Sorry for nitpicking, Race5.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          Seems Andrew Findlay finished at just under 403 mph. If I'm not mistaken this is a new class record! This speed also would have made him third in the Unlimited Gold.

I am impressed...

Neal

9/15/2009 Nemesis® set a new Qualifying record blistering the course at 412.051 MPH

Comment

At first I thought I remembered something like that speed, but my casual (too casual, obviusly) perusal of the history of the class missed that one. Thanks for the correction.

And sorry, Jon!

Neal

Comment

LaVelle went 409 in 2014. Crazy to think no one has gone faster than Jon yet! They should put aside a special pot of prize money for anyone who can go faster than 412 next year.
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Good write up:

Random Air Blog

Comment

409 in 2014 would be slower this year because of the fudged course length.
                  8.0782 miles / 70.963 sec = .11476 miles/sec or 401.3mph
                  last year Jeff qualified at 401.0

Andy's 409 lap from this year would be 418.4 two years ago and Jeff's 407 would be 415.6
                  If you plug Andy's average lap time of 1:10 into the 2009 Super Sport calculator you get a speed of 430!!

Jon's 2009 super sport lap of 412 actually took 1:13.6 seconds. I wasn't around for that year so I don't know how that course was laid out, but the lap distance is 8.433 miles so a good bit longer than the current course, and I guess that is pre-2011 after which they moved the pylons or changed the deadlines or something???

All in all, it's very confusing...
                  Last edited by CubersWrist; 09-19-2018, 07:57 AM.
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

...and I'm personally inclined not to sweat any of it. Fast is fast, and winning is winning. A qualifying record pays what prize money? Numbers are only numbers. I'd rather be first in a slower Gold than the year before, than be second but beat the speed of the year before's winner. Any win is a win, period.

The greatest crew chief in history didn't care at all about setting a qualifying record. He'd try if that's what the owner and bill payer really wanted, but for him the only really important thing was to be first on Sunday afternoon. Bill Kerchenfaut was a true Racer.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                      ...and I'm personally inclined not to sweat any of it. Fast is fast, and winning is winning. A qualifying record pays what prize money? Numbers are only numbers. I'd rather be first in a slower Gold than the year before, than be second but beat the speed of the year before's winner. Any win is a win, period.

The greatest crew chief in history didn't care at all about setting a qualifying record. He'd try if that's what the owner and bill payer really wanted, but for him the only really important thing was to be first on Sunday afternoon. Bill Kerchenfaut was a true Racer.

Neal
                      And that is how I feel about the Unlimited Gold Championship this year. It wasn't the fastest ever, but Joel won and he is the reigning champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X