• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Class

Congrats to race 30 for the win.

Re: Sport Class

Yes in deed.

The sport class rocks.

This year they got this old warbird fan's attention.

Use to be go Lefty go, go Lyle go, go Tiger go, this week it was Go Andrew Go.

Comment

Andrew was GREAT...Hope to see Lavell back next year for another turn round the sticks...

It was really fun to Watch from my grandstand seat here in So. Cal.

Sport Class really go my attention this year as well. I sure am glad that they named the Gold race for John Parker. we wouldnt have these great racers without his vision.

Comment

Seems Andrew Findlay finished at just under 403 mph. If I'm not mistaken this is a new class record! This speed also would have made him third in the Unlimited Gold.

I am impressed...

Neal

Comment

Hands down, best action at Reno 2018.

Comment

I duuno -- I might place the IF1 Gold heat dramas right up there. The Thursday finish, the refusals to start of two of the top Racers at absolutely crucial times, and a decisive Gold win by a first time Champion with an unbelievable backstory.

All that qualifies as great Racing in my book.

I didn't even watch the Unlimited Gold feed. Now that is sad...

Neal

Comment

I didn't even watch the Unlimited Gold feed. Now that is sad...
              Neal, we have never met but I have much enjoyed your contributions to the sport over the years, photographic and commentary. Thanks for all your contributions to air racing.

We have all known for several years that this day would come. Although none of us really wanted to believe that any other class could be more exciting that Unlimiteds, that day has come.

No one can deny that Saturday's Sport Gold (3A) was the stuff race fans live for. Great competition and a good story! There has to be some very happy Stihl people today, which will hopefully translates to more sponsorship and better racing ahead.

Andrew won big today and he earned it the hard way. Nobody can take that away from him and he has all year to enjoy it. Dethroning a King is not a trivial accomplishment. I hope he stays on Coud 9 for a few weeks and gets some rest. He probably needs it.

There may be a bigger story here though, and that is that the Sport races of Sat and Sunday may have breathed new life into the sport when we all need it most. Andrew, his team, sponsors, and all of us fans, should be very excited about that!

GP

Comment

Great post GP -- I comletely agree. I too still have hopes for the Sport.

The Stihl and Andrew story is big. So too is the stuff that Elliot and friends are doing to publicize and humanize their developing careers -- those two youtube channels are great, and very racing oriented! They are apparently getting lots of views and lots of interest.
                There's also Formula 1 -- Philip Goforth and friends have a whole racing hatchery going on back in Texas and are doing absolute wonders for Formula 1 racing -- bringing in new blood and doing so quite publicly. Among others our new champion came right out of that hatchery. IF1 nearly died a few years ago and now there's talk of soon needing to put in a Medallion Race at Reno to accommodate all the young guys building racers.

So Warbirds to put butts in the seats, and Sport and IF1 and such to get folks excited could mean a future for the Sport yet. I'm old enough that it doesn't matter a whole lot for my future but I'd like to see younger folks in the future get as much from the Sport as I have.

I do have hope...

Neal

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	229056
                  Congrats Andrew

Comment

The Sport Class racing was great, all through the week. Anyone know what happened to Jeff Lavelle's airplane after the gold on Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                      The Sport Class racing was great, all through the week. Anyone know what happened to Jeff Lavelle's airplane after the gold on Sunday?
                      Blew up. No rods out of the case, but completely seized.

Comment

Bummer! But I'm under the impression that that's the same engine he's been running for years, sohe's gotten some good mileage out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                          Bummer! But I'm under the impression that that's the same engine he's been running for years, sohe's gotten some good mileage out of it!
                          He told me it was the second year on that particular engine, but that combination had been used for the last five years. He then said "Time for a new combination."

Comment

I'm surprised LaVelle even started on Sunday. When he went past me on Saturday, he was blowing individual puffs of smoke and I was waiting for him to pull up and call mayday.

Andrew and the One Moment team have done some amazing work. I was shooting from the hillside Saturday afternoon and got some nice shots of their spray bar vapor and wow does the underside of that plane look good aerodynamically wise. It was a really nice defined mist that stuck to the underside of the plane till it reached the tail and detached. I showed Thomas and Andy that Saturday afternoon following the race. I must say its been really cool seeing the development of the plane and the team over the years. Good work guys.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                              I'm surprised LaVelle even started on Sunday. When he went past me on Saturday, he was blowing individual puffs of smoke and I was waiting for him to pull up and call mayday.

Andrew and the One Moment team have done some amazing work. I was shooting from the hillside Saturday afternoon and got some nice shots of their spray bar vapor and wow does the underside of that plane look good aerodynamically wise. It was a really nice defined mist that stuck to the underside of the plane till it reached the tail and detached. I showed Thomas and Andy that Saturday afternoon following the race. I must say its been really cool seeing the development of the plane and the team over the years. Good work guys.

Will
                              Considering Andrew had never finished a Gold heat before, the odds were still in Jeff's favor if he took the start.

Comment

Working...
                              X