Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bare Metal Sea Fury

Default Re: Bare Metal Sea Fury

Conch Fury = Cottonmouth? That’s what came to mind when I first saw the freshly rebuilt Wings of Eagles.

I think Conch Fury was the old Dale Clark bare metal "Nuthin Special" Race #40. It went to Guilford and then to David Price's operation (at that point still with a Centaurus that was pretty much not rebuildable), and then somehow ended up as "Conch Fury" with a 3350, and then got broken in half at Reno. AFAIK Cottonmouth was a separate different airframe altogether, and I think this Thibodeau bare metal airplane is still another one. I find these Sea Fury identities VERY confusing, especially as they get crashed, rebuilt, and combined in various ways...

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 09-23-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I think Conch Fury was the old Dale Clark bare metal "Nuthin Special" Race #40. It went to Guilford and then to David Price's operation (at that point still with a Centaurus that was pretty much not rebuildable), and then somehow ended up as "Conch Fury" with a 3350, and then got broken in half at Reno. AFAIK Cottonmouth was a separate different airframe altogether, and I think this Thibodeau bare metal airplane is still another one. I find these Sea Fury identities VERY confusing, especially as they get crashed, rebuilt, and combined in various ways...

Neal
    Interesting, thanks!

Cottonmouth was so dang purty, but if and when she gets rebuilt, chances are she’ll look totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    The original fuselage was so badly destroyed that they had to basically build one from scratch. Might as well build a two seater at that point
    What was so badly destroyed? According to the registry it was an ex Iraqi AF bird that had been in storage since being brought over from the middle east.http://www.warbirdregistry.org/furyr...ury-n63sf.html Still, looking at this http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...800project.asp it would appear that it was an ex Canadian bird making it not the same airframe. The MK20 project that Sanders had was apparently owned by Meier Motors, so not Greenhill. http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...fury-meier.asp

There is a lot of conflicting info here. N63SF is owned by Eagles Wings Aero LLC, and according to the registry, is an ex Iraqi bird that was in storage for decades, not the former Conch Fury (a German Tug from from April 5, 1963-1974).

What Sea Fury is this really?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    What was so badly destroyed? According to the registry it was an ex Iraqi AF bird that had been in storage since being brought over from the middle east.http://www.warbirdregistry.org/furyr...ury-n63sf.html Still, looking at this http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...800project.asp it would appear that it was an ex Canadian bird making it not the same airframe. The MK20 project that Sanders had was apparently owned by Meier Motors, so not Greenhill. http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/re...fury-meier.asp

There is a lot of conflicting info here. N63SF is owned by Eagles Wings Aero LLC, and according to the registry, is an ex Iraqi bird that was in storage for decades, not the former Conch Fury (a German Tug from from April 5, 1963-1974).

What Sea Fury is this really?

Will
    According to the info I got directly from Dennis, the fuselage was torn in half right behind the cockpit in front of where the tail cone bolts on. So all of the longerons were junk. At that point you have to drill off every piece of skin etc to repair it, so it becomes a full rebuild, almost scratch build. I didn't ask about its history, but I do know it is NOT Conch Fury. This is Conch Fury as it looks today. Should fly really soon if it hasn't already. http://www.meiermotors.com/index.php...owall=&start=1

From the Sanders page it looks like it got the tail that was removed from 232 when the latter was converted to a racer. That might be where Will got the Canadian idea. It certainly is another mix and match Sea Fury!

So where did the tail now on 232 come from?

Seems like I've read somewhere that Jerry's Cottonmouth Sea Fury has been in Germany for several years -- doing just fine except that they covered up all that lovely polished metal with paint...

Neal

Will you are right, and Race 5 I haven't heard about the condition of 63SF when she got to Sanders, but you are probably right too. It isn't Conch Fury, it has never flown as anything other than Eagle's Wings since it was an Iraqi Fury. And I imagine there's bits and pieces from other Furies on it, like the next restorations will probably use pieces from Sea Hawk...
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post

Neal
    "Nuthin' Special"/"Dragon of Cymaru" was sold to an owner in the UK and was damaged in a gear-up landing last year. Currently being rebuilt...but interestingly enough, it still had the low-profile, "Dreadnought"-style canopies, as opposed to the traditional, more bubble-top Tmk-20 canopies.

"Cottonmouth", which appeared in 1988, was actually first raced as Richard Drury's "Iron Angel", Race 43 in 1985 and '86. It was a two-place Tmk-20 that Drury had converted to a single seater...but it still had the fixed tail wheel and 'extended' horizontal stabilizers. When Jerry Janes bought it they re-configured it back to a two-seat version. Little Freddie Cabanas raced it as "Conch Fury" in 2005. It was damaged at PRS around 2008 or so when the engine seized. That's where it broke in half. The wreckage was eventually bought by Meier-Motors in Germany and is being restored back to the exact configuration when it flew as a target-tug for the German Navy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_76661890_andy2(21).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	23840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaFury D-CACE_uebersicht.jpg.7484530.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	23841  

Hey Brad (or anyone) on the topic of Fury canopies, does 924 have the same as Dreadnought? And is Eagle’s Wings canopy the “normal” TMK20 canopy?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Hey Brad (or anyone) on the topic of Fury canopies, does 924 have the same as Dreadnought? And is Eagle’s Wings canopy the “normal” TMK20 canopy?
    924 has the 'Dreadnought' canopies. Eagles Wings has the normal "stock" canopies. There is a pronounced 'bump' in them.