Bare Metal Sea Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bare Metal Sea Fury

From the Sanders page it looks like it got the tail that was removed from 232 when the latter was converted to a racer. That might be where Will got the Canadian idea. It certainly is another mix and match Sea Fury!

So where did the tail now on 232 come from?

Seems like I've read somewhere that Jerry's Cottonmouth Sea Fury has been in Germany for several years -- doing just fine except that they covered up all that lovely polished metal with paint...

Neal

Comment

Will you are right, and Race 5 I haven't heard about the condition of 63SF when she got to Sanders, but you are probably right too. It isn't Conch Fury, it has never flown as anything other than Eagle's Wings since it was an Iraqi Fury. And I imagine there's bits and pieces from other Furies on it, like the next restorations will probably use pieces from Sea Hawk...
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        I think Conch Fury was the old Dale Clark bare metal "Nuthin Special" Race #40. It went to Guilford and then to David Price's operation (at that point still with a Centaurus that was pretty much not rebuildable), and then somehow ended up as "Conch Fury" with a 3350, and then got broken in half at Reno. AFAIK Cottonmouth was a separate different airframe altogether, and I think this Thibodeau bare metal airplane is still another one. I find these Sea Fury identities VERY confusing, especially as they get crashed, rebuilt, and combined in various ways...

Neal
        "Nuthin' Special"/"Dragon of Cymaru" was sold to an owner in the UK and was damaged in a gear-up landing last year. Currently being rebuilt...but interestingly enough, it still had the low-profile, "Dreadnought"-style canopies, as opposed to the traditional, more bubble-top Tmk-20 canopies.

"Cottonmouth", which appeared in 1988, was actually first raced as Richard Drury's "Iron Angel", Race 43 in 1985 and '86. It was a two-place Tmk-20 that Drury had converted to a single seater...but it still had the fixed tail wheel and 'extended' horizontal stabilizers. When Jerry Janes bought it they re-configured it back to a two-seat version. Little Freddie Cabanas raced it as "Conch Fury" in 2005. It was damaged at PRS around 2008 or so when the engine seized. That's where it broke in half. The wreckage was eventually bought by Meier-Motors in Germany and is being restored back to the exact configuration when it flew as a target-tug for the German Navy.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Brad (or anyone) on the topic of Fury canopies, does 924 have the same as Dreadnought? And is Eagle’s Wings canopy the “normal” TMK20 canopy?
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Hey Brad (or anyone) on the topic of Fury canopies, does 924 have the same as Dreadnought? And is Eagle’s Wings canopy the “normal” TMK20 canopy?
            924 has the 'Dreadnought' canopies. Eagles Wings has the normal "stock" canopies. There is a pronounced 'bump' in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              924 has the 'Dreadnought' canopies. Eagles Wings has the normal "stock" canopies. There is a pronounced 'bump' in them.
              Did 924 get the canopy off another plane? Or was it always on it before they restored it to what it is now
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So it was Cottonmouth that ran as Conch Fury? I really thought I remembered it all differently. Like I said -- these Sea Fury identities get really confusing. That makes the crash even more sad. Cottonmouth is still hands down the best looking Sea Fury I've ever seen. And, being a Jerry Janes project it was really immaculate.

Neal-

Comment

speaking of sea furies,what happened to these?------furias,september pops,september fury and spirit of texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang1957 View Post
                    speaking of sea furies,what happened to these?------furias,september pops,september fury and spirit of texas.
                    Furias is being rebuilt, September Pops and September Fury are both owned by Rod Lewis, Pops has been repainted to cuban colors, September Fury needs an engine, and is for sale, and Spirit of Texas is owned by Stu Dawson, and flies frequently.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      September Fury needs an engine, and is for sale, Will
                      It was there on-site...just like it has been for the last several years...just sitting, guarding the flightline suites. I mean, at least it was on display behind the fence and ropes so nobody could take pictures of it, you know? The spectators had THAT going for them. Fortunately, John Moore was able to convince them to put the lopsided wings down...because early in the week it was pretty ugly.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Since we are bringing up Fury's from the past, Jim Mott's Miss Chief. I was told back in the day it had a transport Centaurus hence the 4 blade prop. If my memory is correct it was a single seat. If I had time to dig through old pics that I don't have time to scan I would post some. Where is Miss Chief now? I just Googled the answer.

The Hawker Fury registry follows the history of all Furys and Sea Furys that survived military service.

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                          Since we are bringing up Fury's from the past, Jim Mott's Miss Chief. I was told back in the day it had a transport Centaurus hence the 4 blade prop. If my memory is correct it was a single seat. If I had time to dig through old pics that I don't have time to scan I would post some. Where is Miss Chief now? I just Googled the answer.

The Hawker Fury registry follows the history of all Furys and Sea Furys that survived military service.

http://www.pylon1.org/articles/publish/printer_68.shtml
                          Oh wow, I didn't realize Super Chief and Miss Merced were one and the same. I really hope Eric will bring it out to race one of these years before Furias is ready to go. (or bring both.)

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            Oh wow, I didn't realize Super Chief and Miss Merced were one and the same. I really hope Eric will bring it out to race one of these years before Furias is ready to go. (or bring both.)

Will
                            He would place higher with MM in Unlimited than he does with TNT in T-6! Sorry Eric, ya had it coming lol
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                            X