Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mike Brown's New Ride on Sunday

Default Re: Mike Brown's New Ride on Sunday

Mark Watt in 924 and Mike Brown in Goldfinger during Thursday's heat race from Pylon 5. And the same pair from Friday's heat race at Pylon 8 under less than ideal lighting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0033a.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	23803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0269 (2)a.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	23804  

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Attachment 23802
    Close up on the wingtip
    It would be interesting to tape on a few tufts, and see how the air interacts with the sharp edges. Are those wing tips borrowed from PM also?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It would be interesting to tape on a few tufts, and see how the air interacts with the sharp edges. Are those wing tips borrowed from PM also?
    PM never used tips like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    PM never used tips like that.
    Somewhere there were some photos of PM(in Florida) with what looked like flat clipped tips(no fence) but only on for a limited time; if my memory has not gone completely.

There was an excellent post by my friend Bruce Lockwood some years back talking about an early 90s test of wingtip mods. They put 4 different types on Miss A and ran high power calibrated speed as well as seat of the pants testing. These included flat plate, Hoerner (I think) and a couple of styles of curled. The results were very interesting -- real measurable speed differences and significant handling differences too. Bruce was a great poster -- I recently ran searches in aafo for him, Dago, Bear Driver, Matt Jackson, BellcobraIV etc and printed out a bankers box full of great historical material. There used to be some great and well informed tech talk both here and on Scotty's site, Too bad those days have gone, but there's still a LOT of material in the aafo archives if you're willing to dig for it. This site is not going to be here forever -- no web site is forever. I highly recommend that anybody with some interest in Racing history do some digging while the information is still here...

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 09-21-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Somewhere there were some photos of PM(in Florida) with what looked like flat clipped tips(no fence) but only on for a limited time; if my memory has not gone completely.
    The year of the fire the team had removed the custom wingtips and were going to run with just the clipped wings. No fences or anything else.
    https://www.mikekillianphotography.com/Aviation/PM2015/
    "young" Thomas