Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	242224
    Giles

Re: Mike Brown's New Ride on Sunday

September Fury is also for sale...
    Random Air Blog

Comment

Does Brown have spray bars on his airplane? ADI? Does anybody have any indication that he wants to seriously race the airplane? I've been wondering what he has in mind, and he's never to my knowledge talked about his plans for Goldfinger. He's never been much for talking publicly about what he does.

Neal

Comment

One of the other threads said that Brown did not get the race engine in time and just had a stock engine.
        Just clipped wings and a real sleek smooth finish.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

So maybe he really does want to go fast. Any idea who was building up the race engine?

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            So maybe he really does want to go fast. Any idea who was building up the race engine?

Neal
            So this is what I’ve “heard”. Could be right could be wrong however. Goldfinger was supposed to have a Vintage somewhat race prepped Merlin, I say somewhat because the plan only included a spray bar which I believe they have as it was being filled with water in the cockpit (tank behind pilot I assume).

Goldfinger’s future does not indicate making it a gold contender, or really doing much more than has been done now. Mike put A TON of cash into making it a very incredible and immaculate restoration and the clipped wings were a sexy mod that can be “fixed” if he ever wanted to. That being said, Mike has made it clear that if he catches the bug, he will he open to having Airmotive build him a full race Mustang basically ground up at Airmotive. We shall see what the future holds!!!
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

They did fill the ADI tanks, so I was a bit surprised at his speeds. The delivery guy asked if they have a specific number they want added and the reply was fill it to the top.

Regardless, its a sexy looking plane and pretty cool to be able to build your personal hotrod the way you want.

I hope we see more of this trend, vs planes just sitting around for show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWR_9892.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	229050
              Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                They did fill the ADI tanks, so I was a bit surprised at his speeds. The delivery guy asked if they have a specific number they want added and the reply was fill it to the top.

Regardless, its a sexy looking plane and pretty cool to be able to build your personal hotrod the way you want.

I hope we see more of this trend, vs planes just sitting around for show.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23745[/ATTACH]
                The aircraft has no provisions for ADI. Mr. Brown never ordered or paid for a race Merlin from Vintave V12.

Comment

When Bill Rheinchild raced he had speeds in the 430 mph. What happened to the speed

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                    When Bill Rheinchild raced he had speeds in the 430 mph. What happened to the speed
                    Bill never ran a stock motor
                    bob burns
                    ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                    "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Trying to remember. Did Risky have a race canopy and other "go-fast" mods in the 90s that contributed to the 430 speeds?

Comment

It did at various points have all sorts of external speed mods -- canopy, swoopy tips, some scoop mods, pointy spinner, etc. They were, however, mostly superficial and sometimes just done wrong. Kerch used to laugh about them copying a little Kerch mod involving little fences between flap and aileron. When Kerch originated this on Strega he altered flap and aileron to align the fence with the airflow. The Risky guys just added the little fence to the existing profile so the fence was at an angle to the aiflow and was slowing them down if anything. Interestingly none of the Risky mods except maybe the swoopy tips ever seemed to stay on the airplane long.

I personally think the Risky story involved a good fast airframe to begin with (Mustangs vary widely and some just go fast easily while other airframes just are not as fast no matter what you do to them), strong motors and the willingness to run them really hard and to break them (I remember one year when they changed engines at least three times during Race week), and good pilotage. Bill was a very experienced and aggressive driver.

It was always fun to watch Bill and Risky over the years. They never took the big prize but they sure were in a lot of Gold races over many years.

Neal
                        Last edited by wingman; 09-18-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                          That being said, Mike has made it clear that if he catches the bug, he will he open to having Airmotive build him a full race Mustang basically ground up at Airmotive. We shall see what the future holds!!!
                          -this would generate much excitement, and I hope he "catches the bug".

A new Mustang incorporating all that has been learned from Dago(1982-2009?), Strega(1983-2017), Stiletto(1984-1994) and Voodoo(1997-2017), would be the ultimate!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                            -this would generate much excitement, and I hope he "catches the bug".

A new Mustang incorporating all that has been learned from Dago(1982-2009?), Strega(1983-2017), Stiletto(1984-1994) and Voodoo(1997-2017), would be the ultimate!
                            Yes something like that, and something put together by one entity (Airmotive) that knows exactly all that is being done to it, rather than a mismatch of modifications by various people over the years.
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Who are Airmotive?

Neal

Comment

Working...
                              X