Formula 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula 1

Anybody know when they're going to start Live streaming Friday? I'd particularly like to watch the IF1 Gold Heat -- from what I can tell the Thursday Heat 1A must really have been something! RARA still does not seem to have the Race results posted but I think I've figured out the finish by looking up individual airplanes and pilots. If anybody can post a quick summary of how that race went it would be appreciated.

I thought the live streaming today was quite well done. Some pretty interesting T-6 racing -- are we seeing a "changing of the guard"?

Neal

Re: Formula 1

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    Anybody know when they're going to start Live streaming Friday? I'd particularly like to watch the IF1 Gold Heat -- from what I can tell the Thursday Heat 1A must really have been something! RARA still does not seem to have the Race results posted but I think I've figured out the finish by looking up individual airplanes and pilots. If anybody can post a quick summary of how that race went it would be appreciated.

I thought the live streaming today was quite well done. Some pretty interesting T-6 racing -- are we seeing a "changing of the guard"?

Neal
    Feed should start at 8 AM local time. The F1 heat this morning was epic. Could have thrown a small blanket over the top three with Justin Meaders taking the win with his new airplane "Limitless"

Comment

Thanks. I was associated with IF1 for many years, and I still find it the most interesting Racing class of all (especially these days). It's great to see this kind of competition! Good for the class, and good for Air Racing!

Anybody got a photo of this new airplane? Is it really a new design?

Here are a couple of really nice videos about Justin:

A man from Keller flies planes without the use of his legs.

Reno National Championship Air Races Formula one class pilot profile that NBC Sports aired on March 14th.

Neal
      Last edited by wingman; 09-13-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

IF1 gold this morning was the second best race today (after Sport gold of course )

It's a Snoshoo. He made his own fuselage plug, adapted the fuselage to take the Paulo Iscold wing. Has a 4 into 1 exhaust and a 3 blade CATTO prop.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Thank you for the information. That's some impressive tech. Must look interesting with the three blade prop, and we've seen what those props do for Aberle's Bipe racer. I met and talked a bit with Paulo Iscold some years back at Reno, and was very impressed with that mind! A very impressive man!

I'd still like to see photos of the airplane...

Neal
          Last edited by wingman; 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

And by the way -- That Sport Heat was really impressive. It was great to see somebody challenge #39! Thanks for all the posting about the Stihl airplane this year. It really helps understand that race a lot better.

Comment

I'd still like to see photos of the airplane...
              Here is one that I took.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking airplane! Thanks...

Neal

Comment

Nice looking airplane! Thanks...

Neal

Justin ran a contest to pick the paint scheme. Jennesa Link won, after having entered the contest for Precious Metal a few years ago....while she didn't win that one, she did design the Griffon logos that are on the shirts and PM.

Love the Live Feed since I couldn't be there in person.

Comment

Good to see #17 back. I liked the guy who built the airplane and raced it for so long a lot. It's nice (and surprising) to see Goforth placing her in the Gold heats. It's just a plain Hershey wing Cassutt, after all.

Neal

Comment

Was Steve Senegal unable to get Endeavor started today? That airplane certainly doesn't belong in the Silver! I remember at least once years ago when something like this happened and the Silver was actually won at a faster speed than the Gold winner got. This could be one of those years.

I do love seeing Slatter's airplane running so well. Dan Gilbert, who originally designed and built the airplane is an old friend of ours, and I watched the airplane come together. Somewhere I've got a bunch of pictures of the partially completed fuselage in Dan's garage, and the wings in a trailer in the back yard -- that must have been in the late 1990s. Dan really wanted to beat Nemesis. He just started the racer too late in life...

I was very disappointed that they did not get the Livestream feed going in time for the big IF1 heat -- I set my alarm, got up early, and then no race to watch! That and the Sport Gold heat werere the two races I really wanted to watch. I think the Gold is not til 10:40 Sunday morning -- I'm really hoping they get the feed going for that Race...

Neal

Comment

Here are some shots from Friday's Heat 2B from the GA Stand
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	180914-Reno_0164-XL.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	229045Click image for larger version

Name:	180914-Reno_0042-XL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	229046

Name:	180914-Reno_0106-XL.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	229047Click image for larger version

Name:	180914-Reno_0129-XL.jpg
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	229048

Name:	180914-Reno_0145-XL.jpg
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	229049
                        Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 09-15-2018, 06:13 AM.
                        May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Thanks for the pictures -- IF1 is great racing.

Neal

Comment

An interesting (to me, anyway) factoid that I just found out this evening is that Lowell Slatter, who's been going so fast the last couple of years, got his start in Air Racing as a pickup crew member for Race #17. He apparently ran into Carl Swenson back in Texas and expressed an interest in the Races. Carl invited him to help out, and years later here he is at the top of the heap. Another reason that it's nice to see Philip Goforth bring Carl's old Racer to Reno...

Neal

Comment

Anybody have or can get some pics of race 4 "Tumbleweed". Rooting for my hometown favorite .
                              In the pits or out on the course. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X