2018 Reno Air Race Live Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Reno Air Race Live Feed

That was reckless. Watching it from the stands I didn’t realize what happened. Crystal clear now.... Awesome flying by the rookie. Sad to see 37 hurt, that’s a gorgeous jet! Glad they’re safe
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
      Jet race with midair.
      https://youtu.be/ScQcGnAPkeY
      Thanks for the link Bob, I didn’t start watching the stream until later. That was breathtaking in the worst way - I’m so pleased Alexandre was able to recover. Even before we watched the footage my wife was amazed they both landed.
      Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        DQ? More like he won't be back. Probably ever.
        The DQ on the surface does not, in and of itself, say that the pilot of Jet 17 will never race again. The first thing it means is that no prize money is awarded to that racer in that heat. DQ are handed out for several reasons. It appears to me that there have been more DQs handed out this year than in previous years. For example, in yesterday's Jet Heat 2A, 3 racers were DQed.

As to the future racing prospects of the pilot of Jet 17, that is something the Pilot Standards committee will handle, or perhaps the Jet Class itself.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
          I've heard the announcers say several times that #30 is the fastest Lancair in history. I just have to say that that is an incorrect statement. Even though #30 is certainly fast this year, it does not have the fastest speed ever officially recorded by a recognized authority.

The fastest official recorded speed by a Lancair Legacy was recorded by Sport #44 in April of 2015. At that time #44 set a world record speed of 390.526 MPH.

"C-1c – Speed over 3 kilometers – 390.526 MPH (628.49 KPH)
          Time To Climb to 3,000 meters above ground level – 2 minutes 2.6 seconds
          (C-1c weight class is takeoff weight of 1,000 to 1,750 kilos)"
          30 has been faster than 44 for several years now.
          Last edited by CubersWrist; 09-15-2018, 06:12 AM.
          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
            30 has been faster than 44 for several years now.
            Well, let us see. By year and top speed.
            2013 - #44 - 353.634
            #30 - 351.926

2014 - #44 blown engine so no racing

2015 - #44 - 375.483
            #30 - 356.811

2016 - #44 -372 (corrected from 12 second penalty)
            #30 - 371.734

#44 not at Reno in 2017 and 2018

However, the above still doesn't change the fact the #30 isn't the fastest Legacy in history. #44 set the speed record at an altitude of 2,000' and so if the attempt had been made at 5,000' the record could have been over 400 MPH.

Just saying!
            Last edited by georgiacub; 09-15-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

One of the sports was up early this morning way before the sunrise.

Testing something

Comment

I’m talking about the past three years (so 16,17,18)

What are you doing for your correction? If you subtract 12 seconds from the posted time 44 has 1:10 or 415mph, which can’t be right.
                As for the racing that week the DQs and DNFs make it impossible to tell but we were consistently ahead and stayed ahead until the hurt engine came into play.
                In 2017-18 30 only got faster.

As for the fact that we haven’t attempted a speed record, that doesn’t change the fact that 30 is the faster airplane, which is what the announcer was saying.
                "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                  For example, in yesterday's Jet Heat 2A, 3 racers were DQed.
                  Is there a site where it's possible to see the reasons for the DQs? The reports.airrace.org site just says DQ with no reason.

Comment

Thomas the Younger,

That was pretty strong and some of the best flying I have seen. I stay in the shadows, but that is worth a Good Job! Be safe all and take it to Em tomorrow!
                    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm sitting waiting for the final results and speeds from the Sport 3A today. That got my heart pounding like the old days. Nice job Andrew!

Quite a bit of smoke or vapor coming from Jeff's airplane occasionally.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                        I’m talking about the past three years (so 16,17,18)

What are you doing for your correction? If you subtract 12 seconds from the posted time 44 has 1:10 or 415mph, which can’t be right.
                        As for the racing that week the DQs and DNFs make it impossible to tell but we were consistently ahead and stayed ahead until the hurt engine came into play.
                        In 2017-18 30 only got faster.

As for the fact that we haven’t attempted a speed record, that doesn’t change the fact that 30 is the faster airplane, which is what the announcer was saying.
                        Opinion doesn't count for fact. On the time adjustment you subtract the 12 seconds for the total race time.

Nice win today.

Comment

Originally posted by gp70442 View Post
                          I'm sitting waiting for the final results and speeds from the Sport 3A today. That got my heart pounding like the old days. Nice job Andrew!

Quite a bit of smoke or vapor coming from Jeff's airplane occasionally.

GP
                          My thought was 39 was pumping a lot of fluid or is starting to smoke. I don't recall seeing a trail behind him during the first two races.

Perhaps 39 is having engine issues?
                          Last edited by georgiacub; 09-15-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I saw the smoke lugfs and or vapor also. Wonderi g if it was light playing tricks as he didnt seem to notice or slow up. Fantastic race.

Comment

He was very visibly trailing something, and for quite a while. It seems likely it was water or fluids; as pointed out he did not seem to slow (though he was not at 400 mph, either). Remember that Andrew trailed a whole bunch of stuff early in the race on Thursday, and it seems there was no issue.

That was a great Race -- I'm looking forward to both the IF1 and Sport Golds tomorrow. I hope the winds ease up -- 500 pound Formula Ones don't do well in 30 mph winds.

You really have to feel for Steve Senegal -- He's going into the record books as 8th in the Silver, after being the solid top qualifier. What a shame...

Neal

Comment

It seems lime the last few years Senagal has slowed from 267 to 245. I could be wrong on the 267. Anyway he is slower than he was when he set the fastest qualifying record cor if1

Comment

Working...
                                X