Interesting documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting documentary

I just found a video on Youtube which is a Canadian investigative report on the controversy of the export of ex- Canadian Sabres in the late 60s and early 70s. Somewhat biased though. They also deal with the Sacramento crash, but for aafo members the best part is probably the all too brief scenes of Bob Love and Don Whittington.

From 1977 Fifth Estate host Adrienne Clarkson examines the distribution of the Canadian produced Sabre F-86 jet aircraft, after they were determined to be un...

T J

Re: Interesting documentary

Never seen that one before. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Interesting find, TJ. Among other things makes me realize how much I miss Bob Love. What a great voice he had...

Neal

Comment

I remember back in the day when we read about Bob Love's death. I was told that he had died of a heart attack while sitting under the wing of his 51, just prior to taking a passenger for a ride. Truth or someone spinning a yarn there?

T J

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
          I remember back in the day when we read about Bob Love's death. I was told that he had died of a heart attack while sitting under the wing of his 51, just prior to taking a passenger for a ride. Truth or someone spinning a yarn there?

T J
          Bob did die sitting in a chair in his hanger, but there wasn't any passenger ride going to happen that I remember.
          I spent a lot of Saturdays with him at that hanger during the years before.

I also spent a lot of weekday afternoons sitting in his living room drinking lemonade and watching Jeopardy/Wheel of Fortune! And then he would send me home with an armload of Air Force magazines - those were great times in my life.
          remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
            I just found a video on Youtube which is a Canadian investigative report on the controversy of the export of ex- Canadian Sabres in the late 60s and early 70s. Somewhat biased though. They also deal with the Sacramento crash, but for aafo members the best part is probably the all too brief scenes of Bob Love and Don Whittington.

From 1977 Fifth Estate host Adrienne Clarkson examines the distribution of the Canadian produced Sabre F-86 jet aircraft, after they were determined to be un...

T J
            Thanks for posting that.
            In the ground picture of Bob Love's F-86, which was ex-Canadian, ex-Targetair, you can also see the grey Cavalier 44-75007.

And the Whittington F-86 was the former Leroy Penhall/Fighter Imports Inc N8687D, also ex-Canadian, ex-Golden Hawks. Which is still flying and back in its Canadian Golden Hawks colors
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

And Whittington got the ex-Penhall Saber from Levitz. I saw that news report several years ago, and all I could do was shake my head because the reporter made it sound like Don went up to Canada and just 'flew it off the lot'. The thing had been in the states for 5 years already and been through two other owners. It's just that the guy who imported all of the Sabers from Canada was dead (Penhall) and they had to find some angle to make it sound dangerous.

Comment

Duplicate post...whoops.
                Last edited by Big_Jim; 08-20-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Very interesting. It is sad to see that shoddy reporting went back that far. When the reporter was asking about the pilot who had three crashes in one year, the gent he was interviewing said that was abhorrent (sp?). The reporter sort of left out some details. I guess going by that, any commercial airline pilot who has a piece of his aircraft fall off, should also be under scrutiny, as was Whittington when he had the backfire in Precious Metal and lost some cowling/ducting during Reno. Very slanted story for the most part, but still learned a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X