Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A Wingman Quiz

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    2,150

    Default A Wingman Quiz

    Haven't posted a quiz for a while. I don't know if many Air Race historian types still check in here, and suddenly this stuff is a very long time ago, but here's a quiz anyway.

    So what do all these Mustangs have in common? Can anybody name events and years to go with these?

    Speedy is most likely to get this one, so he's excluded for a day or 2...

    Neal


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R82         106 .jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	23462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bak85         109 .jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	23463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bak85         110 .jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	23464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R84      112 .jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	23465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R84  Del aborts heat takeoff     113 .jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	23466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R82         108 .jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	23467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R84  Del aborts heat takeoff     114 .jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	23468

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Posts
    752

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    They all raced by Delbert Williams inThe all metal is 82 Reno, Race 72 is Bakersfield 85, the Healer is Reno 84, and Race 55 is either 94 or 95 with CM is in the background
    Last edited by kiwiracefan; 08-06-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    2,150

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiracefan View Post
    They all raced by Delbert Williams inThe all metal is 82 Reno, Race 72 is Bakersfield 85, the Healer is Reno 84, and Race 55 is either 94 or 95 with CM is in the background
    Boy, I'm really impressed! I'm not at all sure I could have gotten something like this if somebody else had posted it. For me the tell tale is the white helmet in each shot. A nitpicker would point out that he did not actually race The Healer -- he had an issue and aborted the takeoff, as I recall, and Skip was back in the cockpit the next day. The runway shot here is him rolling out during the abort.

    You did get the year of the Pegasus shot wrong, though -- you missed by seven years or so.

    I really enjoyed knowing Del back in the day -- haven't seen him for many years. He was one of the crop dusting fraternity down there around Bakersfield (think Hevle, Van Fossen, Goss). Real smart, great Okie accent but spoke in complete sentences. He never owned a Mustang, but sure got some good rides over the years and always did well with them.

    Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R82         107 .jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	23470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bak85         111 .jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	23469  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    LOVE the shots of No Name Lady, Neal. Funny, of all the pictures I shot in 1982 I did not get a single 'isolated' shot of that airframe. I think, in fact, the only one I had is of the championship lineup, amongst all the other planes. The old Ciuchetton, eventually sold to the Whittington Brothers, who landed it gear up after an engine failure. Rebuilt it. And then leased it as a chase plane for the Piper Enforcer project...and I'm pretty sure it still had the clipped wings on it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Posts
    752

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Boy, I'm really impressed! I'm not at all sure I could have gotten something like this if somebody else had posted it. For me the tell tale is the white helmet in each shot. A nitpicker would point out that he did not actually race The Healer -- he had an issue and aborted the takeoff, as I recall, and Skip was back in the cockpit the next day. The runway shot here is him rolling out during the abort.

    You did get the year of the Pegasus shot wrong, though -- you missed by seven years or so.

    I really enjoyed knowing Del back in the day -- haven't seen him for many years. He was one of the crop dusting fraternity down there around Bakersfield (think Hevle, Van Fossen, Goss). Real smart, great Okie accent but spoke in complete sentences. He never owned a Mustang, but sure got some good rides over the years and always did well with them.

    Neal
    Damn on the year of Pegasus, but then, not a bad guess on things, but there was also clues in the image names when i clicked on the images... and Mustangs Mustangs had a good info file on Magnia Paine showing it was raced by Delbert
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,938

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Haven't posted a quiz for a while. I don't know if many Air Race historian types still check in here, and suddenly this stuff is a very long time ago, but here's a quiz anyway.

    So what do all these Mustangs have in common? Can anybody name events and years to go with these?

    Speedy is most likely to get this one, so he's excluded for a day or 2...

    Neal
    Hey Neal, thanks for directly sharing your images from here rather than somewhere else!

    Facebook may fail, image hosting sites may fail, hopefully, we'll still be here!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d_willams.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	23528  

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    670

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Aro View Post
    Shawn

    That, my friend, is a classic shot. Well done, Shawn. Well done. Look forward to crossing paths in a couple weeks.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Re: A Wingman Quiz

    thank you sir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •