A Wingman Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wingman Quiz

Haven't posted a quiz for a while. I don't know if many Air Race historian types still check in here, and suddenly this stuff is a very long time ago, but here's a quiz anyway.

So what do all these Mustangs have in common? Can anybody name events and years to go with these?

Speedy is most likely to get this one, so he's excluded for a day or 2...

Neal

Click image for larger version

Name:	R82         106 .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	242191Click image for larger version

Name:	Bak85         109 .jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	242192Click image for larger version

Name:	Bak85         110 .jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	242193Click image for larger version

Name:	R84      112 .jpg
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	242194Click image for larger version

Name:	R84  Del aborts heat takeoff     113 .jpg
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	242195Click image for larger version

Name:	R82         108 .jpg
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	242196Click image for larger version

Name:	R84  Del aborts heat takeoff     114 .jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	242197

Re: A Wingman Quiz

They all raced by Delbert Williams inThe all metal is 82 Reno, Race 72 is Bakersfield 85, the Healer is Reno 84, and Race 55 is either 94 or 95 with CM is in the background
    Last edited by kiwiracefan; 08-06-2018, 10:12 PM.
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
      They all raced by Delbert Williams inThe all metal is 82 Reno, Race 72 is Bakersfield 85, the Healer is Reno 84, and Race 55 is either 94 or 95 with CM is in the background
      Boy, I'm really impressed! I'm not at all sure I could have gotten something like this if somebody else had posted it. For me the tell tale is the white helmet in each shot. A nitpicker would point out that he did not actually race The Healer -- he had an issue and aborted the takeoff, as I recall, and Skip was back in the cockpit the next day. The runway shot here is him rolling out during the abort.

You did get the year of the Pegasus shot wrong, though -- you missed by seven years or so.

I really enjoyed knowing Del back in the day -- haven't seen him for many years. He was one of the crop dusting fraternity down there around Bakersfield (think Hevle, Van Fossen, Goss). Real smart, great Okie accent but spoke in complete sentences. He never owned a Mustang, but sure got some good rides over the years and always did well with them.

Neal
      Attached Files

Comment

LOVE the shots of No Name Lady, Neal. Funny, of all the pictures I shot in 1982 I did not get a single 'isolated' shot of that airframe. I think, in fact, the only one I had is of the championship lineup, amongst all the other planes. The old Ciuchetton, eventually sold to the Whittington Brothers, who landed it gear up after an engine failure. Rebuilt it. And then leased it as a chase plane for the Piper Enforcer project...and I'm pretty sure it still had the clipped wings on it.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          Boy, I'm really impressed! I'm not at all sure I could have gotten something like this if somebody else had posted it. For me the tell tale is the white helmet in each shot. A nitpicker would point out that he did not actually race The Healer -- he had an issue and aborted the takeoff, as I recall, and Skip was back in the cockpit the next day. The runway shot here is him rolling out during the abort.

You did get the year of the Pegasus shot wrong, though -- you missed by seven years or so.

I really enjoyed knowing Del back in the day -- haven't seen him for many years. He was one of the crop dusting fraternity down there around Bakersfield (think Hevle, Van Fossen, Goss). Real smart, great Okie accent but spoke in complete sentences. He never owned a Mustang, but sure got some good rides over the years and always did well with them.

Neal
          Damn on the year of Pegasus, but then, not a bad guess on things, but there was also clues in the image names when i clicked on the images... and Mustangs Mustangs had a good info file on Magnia Paine showing it was raced by Delbert
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            Haven't posted a quiz for a while. I don't know if many Air Race historian types still check in here, and suddenly this stuff is a very long time ago, but here's a quiz anyway.

So what do all these Mustangs have in common? Can anybody name events and years to go with these?

Speedy is most likely to get this one, so he's excluded for a day or 2...

Neal
            Hey Neal, thanks for directly sharing your images from here rather than somewhere else!

Facebook may fail, image hosting sites may fail, hopefully, we'll still be here!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                Shawn

That, my friend, is a classic shot. Well done, Shawn. Well done. Look forward to crossing paths in a couple weeks.
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

thank you sir

Comment

Working...
                  X