Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2018 random images

Default Re: Oshkosh 2018 random images

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Ok, who can find the error/anomaly in this pic? I removed something that detracted from the image, and I'm not sure I did a good enough job. Its subtle, but if you can't find it, I'll move the pic from the cool but unpublishable file to the good stuff folder.

Will
    Was there an aircraft in the air, just to the right of the tail?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    Was there an aircraft in the air, just to the right of the tail?
    Nope, that would be easy to fix. I'll give you a hint, look at the landing gear/wheels.

Will

Will -- I'd say the F-35 shot is a definite toss -- you have too much really good stuff here to be showing that one. I see no anomaly in the Doc shot except that biplane thingy in the lower right That shoud definitely be removed, as it immediately draws the eye. It should be pretty easy to remove cleanly. Well, maybe not totally easy but quite doable. The shot is good enough to be worth the effort.

The Doc shot with clouds is lovely -- it's agonizing to get something like that and have it not quite sharp (ask me how I know!). It's not gonna make a big print but it is so pretty I'd still keep it and show it. It looks quite good on screen.

You got a D850 didn't you? How does it compare to the D500 for this kind of work? Still with the 200-500?

Some really fine photography in this thread....

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 08-17-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Nope, that would be easy to fix. I'll give you a hint, look at the landing gear/wheels.

Will
    Inboard of the port gear, I see some hinks in the background... was there an airplane in the background in that area behind the -29?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Will -- I'd say the F-35 shot is a definite toss -- you have too much really good stuff here to be showing that one. I see no anomaly in the Doc shot except that biplane thingy in the lower right That shoud definitely be removed, as it immediately draws the eye. It should be pretty easy to remove cleanly. Well, maybe not totally easy but quite doable. The shot is good enough to be worth the effort.

The Doc shot with clouds is lovely -- it's agonizing to get something like that and have it not quite sharp (ask me how I know!). It's not gonna make a big print but it is so pretty I'd still keep it and show it. It looks quite good on screen.

You got a D850 didn't you? How does it compare to the D500 for this kind of work? Still with the 200-500?

Some really fine photography in this thread....

Neal
    Neal,
    The F22 shot is actually heat radiating from the other one that had just taken off. I agree however, its not there.

Doc on the ground, if you missed the anomaly, I guess its good enough in that size, it sticks out pretty seriously in larger sizes however (I removed a cone from right in front of the inside left wheel. You can just see a "thing" in the wheel just above the yellow prop tip line. If you look at the ground, its really obvious. (I tried posting the original size shot, but it got reduced to the same size I posted, so here is the direct link to it.)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...71972/sizes/o/

On the shot with the clouds, I also agree.

I bought a D810, not an 850. I'm still shooting the 200-500 and the combo works great however with 36mp resolution, the camera is really unforgiving. It catches EVERY mistake or imperfection in a pan shot. Compared to the D500, its got 16 mp more resolution. At some point a couple of us had a discussion about which body would be best, the D500, D5 or D850. In the end, mega resolution won because you can capture the detail at long distance and crop the shot down. If you shoot it at closer range, you can just capture that much more detail. Connor took a shot from about 9000 feet with a wide angle on a D850 to try to capture just how massive Oshkosh was, and the detail is mindblowing. (I think its posted on the EAA Flickr page) If frames per second is your deal, the D5/500 is your friend, but at the cost of image resolution.

This is a good example of the detail the D810 can capture, check out the exhaust heat plume behind this Howard on takeoff.

I don't think my D600 would pick that up.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 08-17-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added pics

Screen size I still don't see your anomaly, so your repair wes pretty successful. If it was mine, I'd still get rid of the biplane, though.

I'm still running D800 bodies -- they're so good I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. The Canadian dollar has gotten hammered over the last year so anything priced in US dollars (pretty much anything) has a built in 35% surtax on it for me. This really tends to discourage big purchases.

You are right about the big megapixel cameras -- they are truly magical if the operater does things right, but cruelly unforgiving of marginal technique.

Really nice work, though! You're coming along nicely. It's guys like you Connor and Bill that make me not feel bad about "retiring" from aviation photography. This new generation is shooting better than I could these days...

Neal

Here is where to look for the "fix"

I kinda like the biplane in the background, but yeah, it is a little distracting. I'll go in and see what I can do about it.

Connor shot some awesome stuff this year.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaair...394768/sizes/l
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaair...735247/sizes/l
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaair...629202/sizes/l
    This shot starts to show how awesome a D850 is.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaair...582635/sizes/l

Here is Connor's shot from 9000+ feet. He shot this with a D850, and when viewed in full size, I was able to find my rental car and tent. That is how mindblowing a 45mp camera with good glass is.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/eaaair...67888/sizes/k/

Looks like I got some more pics posted on the flickr page, so I can now upload them to my page and share them.

Will

Neal,
    The F22 shot is actually heat radiating from the other one that had just taken off. I agree however, its not there.

Doc on the ground, if you missed the anomaly, I guess its good enough in that size, it sticks out pretty seriously in larger sizes however (I removed a cone from right in front of the inside left wheel. You can just see a "thing" in the wheel just above the yellow prop tip line. If you look at the ground, its really obvious. (I tried posting the original size shot, but it got reduced to the same size I posted, so here is the direct link to it.)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...71972/sizes/o/

On the shot with the clouds, I also agree.

I bought a D810, not an 850. I'm still shooting the 200-500 and the combo works great however with 36mp resolution, the camera is really unforgiving. It catches EVERY mistake or imperfection in a pan shot. Compared to the D500, its got 16 mp more resolution. At some point a couple of us had a discussion about which body would be best, the D500, D5 or D850. In the end, mega resolution won because you can capture the detail at long distance and crop the shot down. If you shoot it at closer range, you can just capture that much more detail. Connor took a shot from about 9000 feet with a wide angle on a D850 to try to capture just how massive Oshkosh was, and the detail is mindblowing. (I think its posted on the EAA Flickr page) If frames per second is your deal, the D5/500 is your friend, but at the cost of image resolution.

This is a good example of the detail the D810 can capture, check out the exhaust heat plume behind this Howard on takeoff.

I don't think my D600 would pick that up.

Will
    Will thanks for sharing your Nikon experiences. Last year I could not get my D500 and 200-500mm lens due to unexpected medical expenses :-(,

Since I will be retiring 2019, I need to get the set-up in this years budget.

I think for my needs a D500 w/200-500 will serve it purpose, then I can get a smaller lens for my D7000.

My goal is to master the 360 degree prop blur.

This old fart still has time to get there.

Hans

Old Crow and Stu Dawson flying The Brat III.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0577 P-51 Mustang The Brat III.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	486.6 KB 
ID:	23550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2468 P-51B Old Crow BW.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	537.0 KB 
ID:	23549  

Will