Oshkosh 2018 random images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oshkosh 2018 random images

Wow, nice work. Done already? I bet I've got 2000 pics I haven't even seen yet. hahaha. (No I'm not a spray and pray shooter either.) At the rate I'm going, I'm not going to even see Reno stuff till Christmas.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      Wow, nice work. Done already? I bet I've got 2000 pics I haven't even seen yet. hahaha. (No I'm not a spray and pray shooter either.) At the rate I'm going, I'm not going to even see Reno stuff till Christmas.

Will
      Will,

Back in the old school days 4000 photos would have been 111 rolls of 36 slide film LOL.

You would have spent days in the darkroom.

And, you really did not know what you had until they were exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
        Will,

Back in the old school days 4000 photos would have been 111 rolls of 36 slide film LOL.

You would have spent days in the darkroom.

And, you really did not know what you had until they were exposed.

Hahaha, I'm still spending days in the digital dark room, and I still really don't know what I have till I look at it zoomed in. (I've tossed so much stuff that looks great zoomed out, but when pixel peeping, things are blurred, its not funny. It really kills me to toss the stuff with just a hint of motion blur. Some of them I salvage as pics like my Skyraider shot above and simply make it look like it was shot on film back in the day.) As much as some things have changed, some stay the same.

Will

Comment

Ok, who can find the error/anomaly in this pic? I removed something that detracted from the image, and I'm not sure I did a good enough job. Its subtle, but if you can't find it, I'll move the pic from the cool but unpublishable file to the good stuff folder.

Will

Comment

I'm not sure if this is publishable or not. I'm thinking no, because there just isn't enough detail in Doc, but perhaps? What do you guys think?

Another interesting shot that I'm not sure if it makes the cut.

Will

Comment

Ok, who can find the error/anomaly in this pic? I removed something that detracted from the image, and I'm not sure I did a good enough job. Its subtle, but if you can't find it, I'll move the pic from the cool but unpublishable file to the good stuff folder.

Will
              Was there an aircraft in the air, just to the right of the tail?
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                Was there an aircraft in the air, just to the right of the tail?
                Nope, that would be easy to fix. I'll give you a hint, look at the landing gear/wheels.

Will

Comment

Will -- I'd say the F-35 shot is a definite toss -- you have too much really good stuff here to be showing that one. I see no anomaly in the Doc shot except that biplane thingy in the lower right That shoud definitely be removed, as it immediately draws the eye. It should be pretty easy to remove cleanly. Well, maybe not totally easy but quite doable. The shot is good enough to be worth the effort.

The Doc shot with clouds is lovely -- it's agonizing to get something like that and have it not quite sharp (ask me how I know!). It's not gonna make a big print but it is so pretty I'd still keep it and show it. It looks quite good on screen.

You got a D850 didn't you? How does it compare to the D500 for this kind of work? Still with the 200-500?

Some really fine photography in this thread....

Neal
                  Last edited by wingman; 08-17-2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Nope, that would be easy to fix. I'll give you a hint, look at the landing gear/wheels.

Will
                    Inboard of the port gear, I see some hinks in the background... was there an airplane in the background in that area behind the -29?
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                      Will -- I'd say the F-35 shot is a definite toss -- you have too much really good stuff here to be showing that one. I see no anomaly in the Doc shot except that biplane thingy in the lower right That shoud definitely be removed, as it immediately draws the eye. It should be pretty easy to remove cleanly. Well, maybe not totally easy but quite doable. The shot is good enough to be worth the effort.

The Doc shot with clouds is lovely -- it's agonizing to get something like that and have it not quite sharp (ask me how I know!). It's not gonna make a big print but it is so pretty I'd still keep it and show it. It looks quite good on screen.

You got a D850 didn't you? How does it compare to the D500 for this kind of work? Still with the 200-500?

Some really fine photography in this thread....

Neal
                      Neal,
                      The F22 shot is actually heat radiating from the other one that had just taken off. I agree however, its not there.

Doc on the ground, if you missed the anomaly, I guess its good enough in that size, it sticks out pretty seriously in larger sizes however (I removed a cone from right in front of the inside left wheel. You can just see a "thing" in the wheel just above the yellow prop tip line. If you look at the ground, its really obvious. (I tried posting the original size shot, but it got reduced to the same size I posted, so here is the direct link to it.)
                      The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

On the shot with the clouds, I also agree.

I bought a D810, not an 850. I'm still shooting the 200-500 and the combo works great however with 36mp resolution, the camera is really unforgiving. It catches EVERY mistake or imperfection in a pan shot. Compared to the D500, its got 16 mp more resolution. At some point a couple of us had a discussion about which body would be best, the D500, D5 or D850. In the end, mega resolution won because you can capture the detail at long distance and crop the shot down. If you shoot it at closer range, you can just capture that much more detail. Connor took a shot from about 9000 feet with a wide angle on a D850 to try to capture just how massive Oshkosh was, and the detail is mindblowing. (I think its posted on the EAA Flickr page) If frames per second is your deal, the D5/500 is your friend, but at the cost of image resolution.

This is a good example of the detail the D810 can capture, check out the exhaust heat plume behind this Howard on takeoff.

I don't think my D600 would pick that up.

Will
                      Last edited by RAD2LTR; 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

Screen size I still don't see your anomaly, so your repair wes pretty successful. If it was mine, I'd still get rid of the biplane, though.

I'm still running D800 bodies -- they're so good I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. The Canadian dollar has gotten hammered over the last year so anything priced in US dollars (pretty much anything) has a built in 35% surtax on it for me. This really tends to discourage big purchases.

You are right about the big megapixel cameras -- they are truly magical if the operater does things right, but cruelly unforgiving of marginal technique.

Really nice work, though! You're coming along nicely. It's guys like you Connor and Bill that make me not feel bad about "retiring" from aviation photography. This new generation is shooting better than I could these days...

Neal

Comment

Here is where to look for the "fix"

I kinda like the biplane in the background, but yeah, it is a little distracting. I'll go in and see what I can do about it.

Connor shot some awesome stuff this year.
                          The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

This shot starts to show how awesome a D850 is.

Here is Connor's shot from 9000+ feet. He shot this with a D850, and when viewed in full size, I was able to find my rental car and tent. That is how mindblowing a 45mp camera with good glass is.

Looks like I got some more pics posted on the flickr page, so I can now upload them to my page and share them.

Will

Comment

Neal,
                            The F22 shot is actually heat radiating from the other one that had just taken off. I agree however, its not there.

Doc on the ground, if you missed the anomaly, I guess its good enough in that size, it sticks out pretty seriously in larger sizes however (I removed a cone from right in front of the inside left wheel. You can just see a "thing" in the wheel just above the yellow prop tip line. If you look at the ground, its really obvious. (I tried posting the original size shot, but it got reduced to the same size I posted, so here is the direct link to it.)

On the shot with the clouds, I also agree.

I bought a D810, not an 850. I'm still shooting the 200-500 and the combo works great however with 36mp resolution, the camera is really unforgiving. It catches EVERY mistake or imperfection in a pan shot. Compared to the D500, its got 16 mp more resolution. At some point a couple of us had a discussion about which body would be best, the D500, D5 or D850. In the end, mega resolution won because you can capture the detail at long distance and crop the shot down. If you shoot it at closer range, you can just capture that much more detail. Connor took a shot from about 9000 feet with a wide angle on a D850 to try to capture just how massive Oshkosh was, and the detail is mindblowing. (I think its posted on the EAA Flickr page) If frames per second is your deal, the D5/500 is your friend, but at the cost of image resolution.

This is a good example of the detail the D810 can capture, check out the exhaust heat plume behind this Howard on takeoff.

I don't think my D600 would pick that up.

Will
                            Will thanks for sharing your Nikon experiences. Last year I could not get my D500 and 200-500mm lens due to unexpected medical expenses :-(,

Since I will be retiring 2019, I need to get the set-up in this years budget.

I think for my needs a D500 w/200-500 will serve it purpose, then I can get a smaller lens for my D7000.

My goal is to master the 360 degree prop blur.

This old fart still has time to get there.

Hans

Comment

Old Crow and Stu Dawson flying The Brat III.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X