Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Will Goldfinger be a competitor?

Default Re: Will Goldfinger be a competitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I would think that any significant vacuum leak at that area would be an instant loss of a lot of power and/or the torching of pistons, valves, etc. from an over lean condition.
    I had an engine suck a manifold gasket (due to a loose bolt) on my car once during a drag race and the result was very catastrophic and very final. The hole was about 1/2 inch long by 1/16" tall.
    I also had a Mustang with a Pinto 4-banger in it (a 79) that started running a little rough. I drove it that way for a few WEEKS until I finally got around to checking it out and found the carb barely attached. why it ran at all I don't know, and after I replaced a gasket and tightened it I drove it 50,000 more miles!
    I wonder what the pinto motor would have done if you were racing it. I bet it would have survived being such a low performance motor. Do you think the old smog equipment helped save it from failure?

Anyone remember when Stiletto backfired through the carb at the Shafter race? That was an instant mayday. Someone had a photo of the damage done to the cowling right under the carb. Very interesting.
    Last edited by Reever; 08-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.

There have been several that I have seen over the years. A "sneeze" is usually a pretty violent event, blowing induction trunks and cowlings off.
    A leak without the violence of a backfire would be insidious in that it would probably lean you out before you had any indication and then be too late. Not sure what instrumentation they carry that would indicate it but I am sure they have something.
    If so, what a balancing act to stay somewhat competitive while nursing that thing along!

Last year after the race, my grandson went down and talked to Stevo to have him sign his race cap. Stevo said he couldn't get the engine to run long enough to make the pits. That race and the one Tiger ran on Sat the year before are two of the best I've seen in recent years.
    Ron

I guess Mike is going at least somewhat super stocker with it. The wings have been clipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    I guess Mike is going at least somewhat super stocker with it. The wings have been clipped.
    Can you tell if they're clipped from the video? I thought they were too, but thought maybe it's just tips?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Can you tell if they're clipped from the video? I thought they were too, but thought maybe it's just tips?
    It's clipped. Judging by the way that end plate is flanged, there will probably be a tip of some sort added on outboard of that fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    It's clipped. Judging by the way that end plate is flanged, there will probably be a tip of some sort added on outboard of that fence.
    I just compared and contrasted and they are definitely clipped. I imagine outside of the end plate will be something aerodynamic like the Super Stangs have...
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

The wild card has been played. Goldfinger looks as if it will be showing up in Superstock form. Clipped wings, and tips are verified. (I'm not 100% sure it had full wings on it before, but they are clipped to the normal race length now, with tips.) Cant see much more in the Valley of Speed video on FB, but at the very least, the wings aren't stock.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    The wild card has been played. Goldfinger looks as if it will be showing up in Superstock form. Clipped wings, and tips are verified. (I'm not 100% sure it had full wings on it before, but they are clipped to the normal race length now, with tips.) Cant see much more in the Valley of Speed video on FB, but at the very least, the wings aren't stock.

Will
    I saw pics of it from initial flight testing a year or so back. It had full length wings at the time. I just wonder if he has a race motor and a crew capable of operating it properly...