Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Goldfinger be a competitor?

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Yes Bob donated her to POF for the rest of her days. Doubt she will ever go anywhere else
    Well she is in good hands then. Better than converting a historical air racer into another WWII wannabe copy.

Comment

Yes Bob donated her to POF for the rest of her days. Doubt she will ever go anywhere else
      I wonder if there were any stipulations to the donation. Voodoo is still flyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
        I wonder if there were any stipulations to the donation. Voodoo is still flyable.
        Well I mean... That was probably the stipulation...
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Well I mean... That was probably the stipulation...
          So the POF could race it in the future.

Comment

So the POF could race it in the future.
            That’s my hope, don’t know how promising it is though....
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

VooDoo had drastic changes done to the wing that may preclude her racing at NCAR. I think her NCAR days are behind her and another 3k record try is in the future should a sponsor step up with the $.
              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                VooDoo had drastic changes done to the wing that may preclude her racing at NCAR. I think her NCAR days are behind her and another 3k record try is in the future should a sponsor step up with the $.
                You do realize Voodoo raced last year with those wing mods and went faster than it ever has in a Gold final, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  You do realize Voodoo raced last year with those wing mods and went faster than it ever has in a Gold final, right?
                  Andddd the engine was thrashed.... it was noticeable that Strega glided around the pylons easier but Voodoo’s wing didn’t seem to hurt the top end..

*Also keep in mind that 480 is fast as is, but that’s around 490+ on the old timing...
                  Last edited by GRNDP51; 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Andddd the engine was thrashed.... it was noticeable that Strega glided around the pylons easier but Voodoo’s wing didn’t seem to hurt the top end..

*Also keep in mind that 480 is fast as is, but that’s around 490+ on the old timing...
                    Now why would Voodoo's wing affect the top end?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                      Now why would Voodoo's wing affect the top end?
                      Meant top end around pylons (circle rather than straight line top end)
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

My perspective of the Unlimited Warbird class is that Strega, VooDoo and the Bear have proven they are winners and are so above the baseline capabilities of the rest of the competitors that at this point the risk-reward to fly at the NCAR is gone. The owner’s passion has waned to prove once again they are capable of winning. Add the lack of a reasonable purse and the huge buckets of money needed to field a competitive team and that about puts the nail in their main gear.

After reading Scotty G.’s excellent profile of Voodoo’s team effort at the 3k record, I really believe that the bird will be well maintained by PoF and that Stevo has his eyes on smashing the current record by a healthy margin in the near future.

As for the Bear and Strega, the only realistic way they enter the fray in the future will be through new ownership.

Sorry to be such a buzzkill, GRNDP51. I admire your youthful enthusiasm and wish 250,000 more folks your age were as pumped-up about air racing as you are.
                        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Um, no. The engine was fine, Strega's engine was thrashed. Voodoo's carb had issues, but the engine was fine. I'm pretty sure they flew it to Chino on the race engine. Strega on the other hand stayed the winter in Reno if I'm not mistaken.

Had Voodoo not had the carb issue, Strega would have popped before the finish.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            Um, no. The engine was fine, Strega's engine was thrashed. Voodoo's carb had issues, but the engine was fine. I'm pretty sure they flew it to Chino on the race engine. Strega on the other hand stayed the winter in Reno if I'm not mistaken.

Had Voodoo not had the carb issue, Strega would have popped before the finish.

Will
                            "Strega would have popped before the finish."? Can you elaborate on this conclusion.

Comment

Sounds like we need another showdown!

Comment

"Strega would have popped before the finish."? Can you elaborate on this conclusion.
                                One of the crew chiefs told me the next day "If that race was one lap longer, Dreadnaught would have won."

Comment

Working...
                                X