Will Goldfinger be a competitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Goldfinger be a competitor?

I asked Airmotive if Goldie is having any work done for Reno and President David Teeters got back to me and said “we can’t say but you might want to go to Reno”. Like the old days of secret projects
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Will Goldfinger be a competitor?

Has a super stocker mustang beat Dreadnought? That's a 420 mph lap.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Yeah Dan Martin in Ridgerunner -wasn’t he faster than Dreadnought at the end?

Comment

RR is the ultimate Super Stocker and it ran all over Dreadnought with ease. It ran laps above 480 maybe close to 490 on Saturday 2009 to get a 477 average.. Goldfinger won’t be anywhere near RR’s setup. That was a lot of time and effort. I do think that Goldfinger could be similar to Miss A. Race prepped Merlin, maybe some wingtips. What else can you do to make a Mustang faster within a few months that can’t be undone easily? Canopy seems extreme, RR’s scoop and doghouse mods seem extreme. Maybe a Voodoo/Strega prop? I think Miss A runs a “race” prop. I’m just not sure what Airmotive is capable of doing in the air race category. I know they rebuilt Miss A after her landing accident, but that was simply that, just a rebuild. I imagine the team went through and did most of the speed mod stuff. Who knows, Mike could have a team of his own working alongside the Airmotive guys.
        Last edited by GRNDP51; 07-23-2018, 10:26 AM.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I think reversible changes would be race motor, spray bars, ADI, and a race prop. Seal the control surfaces and gear doors. On a stock wingspan I don't think new wingtips would help more than they hurt. On that note Miss A still has clipped wings?
          "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
            I think reversible changes would be race motor, spray bars, ADI, and a race prop. Seal the control surfaces and gear doors. On a stock wingspan I don't think new wingtips would help more than they hurt. On that note Miss A still has clipped wings?
            True. I imagine cooling mods could be done for sure especially to accommodate a race Merlin. And I’m not sure about Miss A’s wings. By wingtips I meant something similar to Miss A, right now Goldfinger has stock tips and I imagine you could put some RRIII/ Miss A wingtips on it. They didn’t cut the wings off of RR at all but they put nicer tips. What are the strakes called that flow down the fuselage behind the wings..? Extending those is something all the racers do and that seems reversible. Incredible that RR ran 480 with gun ports too, Goldfinger has clean wings.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

IF Mike gets a real super stock setup on it, and a competent crew, maybe. My guess is he shows up with a completely stock airplane and makes the back of the Gold at best.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                True. I imagine cooling mods could be done for sure especially to accommodate a race Merlin. And I’m not sure about Miss A’s wings. By wingtips I meant something similar to Miss A, right now Goldfinger has stock tips and I imagine you could put some RRIII/ Miss A wingtips on it. They didn’t cut the wings off of RR at all but they put nicer tips. What are the strakes called that flow down the fuselage behind the wings..? Extending those is something all the racers do and that seems reversible. Incredible that RR ran 480 with gun ports too, Goldfinger has clean wings.
                The strakes/wing fillets are there to reduce interference drag. Mike Arnold explains this at the 49 minute mark (whole video is worth watching though).
                "Why it goes so fast", documents the efficient AR-5's record runs and clearly explains the simple drag reduction concepts used to achieve its surprising perf...

Also somewhere on Youtube there is an interview with Tiger where he explains that they are there to keep the low pressure region behind the dog house from sucking the air running along the sides underneath the airplane. You want that airflow to be straight along the sides of the fuselage, so on Strega that fairing acts as a fence. This is the same thinking behind the belly mod on Race #30
                "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  <>
                  Incredible that RR ran 480 with gun ports too, Goldfinger has clean wings.
                  The RR crew made covers for the gun ports,.. out of soup ladles.
                  remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Hey, don't blame the crew, that was Dan who made up the gun port covers !

Comment

A little off topic, but were the trailing edge fillets/fairings that PM installed from RRIII?
                      "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                        A little off topic, but were the trailing edge fillets/fairings that PM installed from RRIII?
                        Strakes and scoop came from RRIII I believe.

Comment

The part for the radiator opening fit over the original scoop and brought it forward and reduced the opening size. this was a part we ran in 2005. That and the trailing edge fairings went to PM.

Comment

I guess I must have missed this but I noticed on MustangsMustangs that POF is listed as the owner of Voodoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                              I guess I must have missed this but I noticed on MustangsMustangs that POF is listed as the owner of Voodoo.
                              Yes Bob donated her to POF for the rest of her days. Doubt she will ever go anywhere else
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X