Off Topic: Windoze XP IE6 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic: Windoze XP IE6 Question

Hummn... I'm building a new computer here at "aafo central" and I had to install Windoze XP, and... (grrr) unfortunately, MS Internet Explorer 6 on it... (default, I'll have to see if I can get my old 5.5 running on this system)

On to the question.. by default, on my old 5.5 install, the Sun Java Virtual Machine was installed... it's the plugin that runs the little software thingies called "applets" that are used for various features on aafo and many other sites.. on this site, particularly, it's used to run the scrolling ticker thing on the front page..

As soon as I launched the page, I noticed that the ticker showed as a blank space with a red x in it...

After digging a bit (not so easy with a new platform, I'm used to Windoze 98SE) I found that the Java Virtual Machine plugin had to be installed for this sort of feature to work...

Ok... finally, here's the question, since I know many of you are on IE6, and XP... how many of you see the ticker and how many of you see the blank space with red x??

I have to figure out how to place a mesage there for those who do not have the plugin so they will know it, or... stop using this type of java feature...

I hate it when MS does this stuff.. They disable this automatically in their browser because "it's not made here"...

Anyway.. I appreciate the responses!

Wayne
    PS.. now with this new WAY faster workstation, mebbie I can get current with the POTW stuff since it will take far less time to work with images (reason for upgrade) that is, once I get all my "stuff" transferred over and functioning..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Got ticker

I have XP Home & IE6- the ticker works fine. Happy New Year!

Comment

Thanks Unreg... not at all sure why the JavaMachine pluggy was not installed by default when I stuck in XP Pro...

I'm just marvling at the difference in speed on the new box between it and my old one...!

Old

Win 98SE
      PIII 1GHz
      100MHz fsb
      384 MB memory
      bunch of mixed HD's
      Voodoo 5500 2x AGP 64 mb

New

Win XP Pro
      PIV 2.6
      800MHz fsb
      1GHz Dual Channel DDR 400
      160 MB SATA Western Digital
      ATI 9800 PRO All In Wonder 8x AGP 128 mb

Can you say WOWZER!

Back to work getting stuff moved so I can get back to work.

Can't wait to see how long it takes to process the images from my camera. They start as about 1+ mb .jpg files, converted to .tiffs for working processes (no degredation when saved) they begin to get pretty large in file size.. If I convert them upsize with Genuine Fractals for printing, they become HUGE.. used to crash my old system when they would get too huge, just trying to read/open the files, the old sucker would just freeze and I'd often get the dreded blue screen of death....

We'll see how my hard earned mooola does me on this new system..

Thanks again unregged... I'd love to hear from more of you on this issue about the Virtual Machine thingie.

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Wayne,

I am also running windoze xp home edition. The counter and the rest of the site seem to be working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L
          Hey Wayne,

I am also running windoze xp home edition. The counter and the rest of the site seem to be working fine.
          Thanks Kevin.. The counter thing at the bottm of the page?? That little spinny thing?? That's an animated GIF that I put there a long while ago just for a kick and should run on anything.. the scrolly ticker thing with the "announcements" under the ads is what wasn't working for me.. Is now... !!

Maybe the home edition automatically adds the plug in and XP pro (don't know what the diff is but I got that version just cause ) mebbie pro doesn't ??

Thanks!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm running 2000 Pro and IE6 here at work, Wayne. The ticker ticks just fine, but can you really say it's 'working' when it says stuff like, "Nemesis NXT to debut at Nellis Air Show"?

SteveZ

Comment

Win XP Home, IE 6.0, Laptop

I even see the little coffee cup icon as it's loading and it scrolls fine.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
                but can you really say it's 'working' when it says stuff like, "Nemesis NXT to debut at Nellis Air Show"?

<in my best Rodney Dangerfield impersonation> Boy.... I gotta tell ya... you guys are a tough audience....

LOL... yea.. I've been spending more time trying to make money to keep going at this than keeping going at it.... And every time I say something like this, I get slammed *somewhere*... but hey. What to hey. We've got stuff coming, and I'm actually breaking even (or so) for last year, all good stuff ey.

We do have something coming in a month or so that I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy. And some other things that will come when they come.

But thanks for the feedback!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sounds xxx to me...to much coming

hmmmmm.
                  Randy Rheinschild
                  www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Re: Sounds xxx to me...to much coming

Originally posted by rwflyboy
                    hmmmmm.
                    You been hanging out with the "other" Randy (Goss) too much

Hummn....

From Dictionary.com

ran·dy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rnd)
                    adj. ran·di·er, ran·di·est

Lascivious; lecherous.
                    Of or characterized by frank, uninhibited sexuality.

randy

adj : feeling great sexual desire; "feeling horny" [syn: aroused, horny, ruttish, turned on(p)]

No damn wonder you guyz are so.... err.... ahh.... randy...
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

whore Dogen'

Well you may be right and "we" may be crazy, but it might just be a lunatic your lookin' for....as B. Joel has said at least once.
                      Randy Rheinschild
                      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

by the way...

I need to meet mr Goss next time in Reno...I am sure you may arrange that....BIG CHEESE!!!
                          Randy Rheinschild
                          www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Re: by the way...

Originally posted by rwflyboy
                            I need to meet mr Goss next time in Reno...I am sure you may arrange that....BIG CHEESE!!!
                            welll... amm I gonna have to change my screen name from "head board head" to "cheese head?"

Actually, Randy G. and I keep missing each other at Reno.. I'd bet $$ that we've stood right beside each other and probably talked even but we've never actually been "introduced" and other than a picture I've seen of him with a beer case on his head I don't even know what that Randy looks like..

Now... if we can get the "Three Randys" together...

Randy R.
                            Randy G.
                            Randy H.

That would be a hoot!

We could all go get.... err randy?? Naaaaaa!!!! Not together anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

YOU KNOW THAT'S RIGHT

Well it would be good to get us all together with Rhino as well....but I haven't been able to get any news about a "t-cat" from him at all either BTW.

It would be an awesome air force he would be building wouldn't it?

If Rhino got hold of a t-cat...that would make a lot of people a bit "randy" at Reno...ya think?
                              Randy Rheinschild
                              www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Working...
                              X