NAHI is coming back to RENO!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAHI is coming back to RENO!!!

Word is out!!! The National Aviation Heritage Invitational is coming back to Reno in 2018 with a "display" and all-out competition style in 2019. Amazing news
    Reno from '99 to '22

National Aviation Heritage Invitational returns to Reno Air Races

National Aviation Heritage Invitational (NAHI) returns to the
    STIHL National Championship Air Races

RENO, Nev. [July 11, 2018] – Fred Telling, Chairman and CEO of the Reno Air Racing Association (RARA), announced today that RARA and the National Aviation Heritage Invitational LLC (NAHI) have reached an agreement which will bring NAHI back to the STIHL National Championship Air Races this year and for many years to come.
    For 2018, NAHI and RARA will host a display of vintage aircraft to celebrate NAHI’s return to the STIHL National Championship Air Races. Beginning in 2019, NAHI will have a full vintage aircraft competition including judging in multiple categories and hosting the People’s Choice Award, which is sponsored by Air & Space Smithsonian Magazine.
    NAHI was founded in 1998 at the Reno Air Races by four well-known aviation-oriented organizations; Rolls-Royce, the Reno Air Racing Association, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and the National Aviation Hall of Fame. The goal of NAHI is to maintain our nation’s rich aviation history by encouraging the restoration of vintage aircraft to airworthy condition. In addition, they utilize the aircraft, owners, pilots and aviation legends to encourage students to pursue careers within the aviation and aerospace industry.

“NAHI held its first vintage aircraft competition on the ramp at Reno in 1999 and were a key part of the Reno experience for the 16 years,” said Fred Telling, CEO and Chairman of RARA. “Over the years they have hosted several hundred of the finest vintage aircraft in North America to compete at the Reno Air Races. RARA believes that the NAHI vintage aircraft and the National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinees offer another major attraction for guests attending the STIHL National Championship Air Races and we are extremely pleased to have NAHI back this year.”
    “NAHI was born at the Reno Air Races, and it has enjoyed a great relationship with the race fans,” said Ken Perich, Chairman and Executive Director of NAHI. “In addition to displaying some of the finest restored vintage aircraft in the country on the Reno ramp, we have been honored to have National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinees, including; Neil Armstrong, Gene Cernan, Bob Hoover, Dick Rutan, Robert “Hoot” Gibson, Herb Kelleher, Clay Lacy, Bud Anderson, General (ret) Joe Engle, General (ret) Bill Anders, Patty Wagstaff and Sean D. Tucker participate in our annual events and help present trophies to our winners.”

“Part of securing our future is preserving our past, and this is a big part of that effort, said Tony Logoteta, COO and Board member of RARA. “We have taken this renewed relationship very seriously, and NAHI will play a major role in our annual event. Our multi-year agreement will make NAHI a critical component of the expanded Reno experience. We want the aviation community to know; the Reno Air Races is the HOME of the National Aviation Heritage Invitational.”
    “The vintage aircraft compete for the coveted Neil A. Armstrong Aviation Heritage Trophy, which represents one of the highest honors an aircraft restorer can receive,” said Robert “Hoot” Gibson, Astronaut, Air Racer and NAHI Ambassador.
    Throughout the year the Armstrong Trophy resides at the Hazy Center of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
    “The judging criteria was created by representatives of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, and emphasizes authenticity and attention to detail,” stated Nelson Blankenship, Chief of Restorations for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. “The Smithsonian is actively involved in NAHI and representatives from our restoration staff serve annually on the judging team.”

The STIHL National Championship Air Races and the National Aviation Heritage Invitational will be keeping our aviation heritage alive at Reno-Stead from September 12-16, 2018.
    For more information on the STIHL National Championship Air Races, please visit our website at www.airrace.org.
    For additional information on the National Aviation Heritage Invitational, its mission, aircraft entry requirements and judging criteria, please visit www.heritagetrophy.org.
    ###

About the Reno Air Racing Association:
    The Reno Air Racing Association (RARA), a 501(c)(3), holds the National Championship Air Races every September just north of Reno. The Reno Air Races have become an institution for northern Nevada and aviation enthusiasts from around the world. Independent economic impact studies have shown that our event generates as much as $91.7 million annually for our local economy. The event features six racing classes, a large display of static aircraft and several military and civilian flight demonstrations. For more information on the National Championship Air Races, to obtain media credentials, volunteer or purchase tickets for this year’s event, visit www.airrace.org.
    About the National Aviation Heritage Invitational:
    The vision and mission of the National Aviation Heritage Invitational (NAHI) LLC is to support our aviation industry by doing two important functions; honoring our rich aviation history and inspiring the next generation to pursue careers within the aviation industry.
    NAHI was created to ensure our rich aviation history is kept alive by encouraging the restoration and preservation of vintage aircraft to flying condition. NAHI accomplishes this via a friendly annual competition, where each aircraft is judged against restoration standards established by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. We bring together some of the finest examples of restored vintage aircraft in the country to compete for the grand champion Neil A. Armstrong Aviation Heritage Trophy.
    NAHI utilizes the aircraft, owners and judging staff to help inspire students to consider careers within the aviation industry. We also utilize the ISTAT Careers in Aviation video series to highlight some of the great career opportunities available within our industry.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: NAHI is coming back to RENO!!!

I'm looking forward to shooting this again at sunset/sunrise. This is fantastic news.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        I'm looking forward to shooting this again at sunset/sunrise. This is fantastic news.

Will
        Yes sir. I have taken some of my favorite shots in there before the crowds show-up.

Great news to see this is coming back home.

I think Fred is going to make the Reno Air Races Great Again - "FIGTMTRARGA" - fit that on a hat.

Comment

A move in the right direction. Funny I just posted a question regarding this a few days ago. Glad to see it returning.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            Yes sir. I have taken some of my favorite shots in there before the crowds show-up.

Great news to see this is coming back home.

I think Fred is going to make the Reno Air Races Great Again - "FIGTMTRARGA" - fit that on a hat.

"FIGTMTRARGA" would look best in big letters from the right to left tips on the underside of Rear Bear's wing... In ORANGE

Comment

Looking forward to doing more and better shots like these.

Will

Comment

Hope to hear more info soon about what they plan on for this year. LiveAirshowTV and NAHI have both been pretty excited about this year even though it isn't the actual competition until next year.

Other best part about NAHI is more departures Sunday afternoon
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Will
                  DANG, Will; GREAT shots!! Love the shot of that A-26. I briefly crewed on one at Santa Rosa. Sweet airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                    DANG, Will; GREAT shots!! Love the shot of that A-26. I briefly crewed on one at Santa Rosa. Sweet airplane.
                    Thanks. A-26s are one of my favorites. (I'm looking forward to shooting the ones at Oshkosh in a couple weeks, likely at night, or twilight.) I'm excited to see what birds come over the hill from the show in Sacramento this year. The only reason I wanted to go to the Cal Capitol Airshow was for the NAHI birds. Being the week before Reno, I haven't had the time.

I've gotten far better with the camera since 2015, so I should be able to shoot some nice sunset/sunrise stuff at Reno.

Will

Comment

Thanks. A-26s are one of my favorites. (I'm looking forward to shooting the ones at Oshkosh in a couple weeks, likely at night, or twilight.) I'm excited to see what birds come over the hill from the show in Sacramento this year. The only reason I wanted to go to the Cal Capitol Airshow was for the NAHI birds. Being the week before Reno, I haven't had the time.

I've gotten far better with the camera since 2015, so I should be able to shoot some nice sunset/sunrise stuff at Reno.

Will
                      See ya at OSH: hope the F-82 shows up.

Comment

Will
                        I saw that Stinson last time I was there in 2013. I was talking to the owners son and he told me when his dad saw the plane was for sale " he was on it like a hobo on a hotdog".I'd never heard that expression before and just about choked from laughing so hard. It's now my go to line. Lol.
                        Btw beautiful plane and tbe pics are incredible too.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                          See ya at OSH: hope the F-82 shows up.
                          XP-82 is not coming. FAA still has not signed off on everything and they don't have time to flight test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            XP-82 is not coming. FAA still has not signed off on everything and they don't have time to flight test it.
                            Maybe Reno then if it gets signed off and tested.

What a cool entry for NAHI.

Comment

The -1 Bearcat isn't making Osh either. Flew for about half an hour Monday morning, made metal, engine is coming off.

Who knows perhaps it will find its way West in September.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X