Thread: Racing Mustang Wheel Choice?

Default Racing Mustang Wheel Choice?

I never really noticed this before..: Dago and Ghost and I imagine a few others have stock Mustang wheels correct? Strega and Voodoo have the Queen Air wheels. Are the Queen Air wheels lighter or something obvious? I always assumed that every race Mustang had them but recently saw some pictures of Dago and realized this.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

Default Re: Racing Mustang Wheel Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    I never really noticed this before..: Dago and Ghost and I imagine a few others have stock Mustang wheels correct? Strega and Voodoo have the Queen Air wheels. Are the Queen Air wheels lighter or something obvious? I always assumed that every race Mustang had them but recently saw some pictures of Dago and realized this.
    The Queen air wheels and brakes are a little lighter. That's not the main reason for their use though. They are significantly cheaper than Mustang parts and the brakes offer better durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    The Queen air wheels and brakes are a little lighter. That's not the main reason for their use though. They are significantly cheaper than Mustang parts and the brakes offer better durability.
    Easy enough! Thank you, is there any reason Dago/Ghost didn't use them? Seems incorrect not to
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 07-09-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Easy enough! Thank you, is there any reason Dago/Ghost didn't use them? Seems incorrect not to
    All down to owner preference. I'm surprised more stock Mustang owners don't make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    All down to owner preference. I'm surprised more stock Mustang owners don't make the switch.
    Has to be “authenticity”. I think the wheels look awesome on race planes and super stockers, but would look out of place on other more authentic restorations
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18