Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,633

    Default Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Of course by now most of us know the last steps that Dago took before her current fate. I was curious if anyone has an idea what would have been found with the scanning that Frank planned on doing? What could’ve been “smoothed” out that hasn’t been on Strega and Voodoo? Would’ve been incredible to see if it looked any different than a normal mustang. Maybe one day.........
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '18

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,041

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Good question. Since it got “put away” before it really hit any kind of Strega stride, who knows? Wasn’t Steveo checking out the dog house a while back?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,633

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    Good question. Since it got “put away” before it really hit any kind of Strega stride, who knows? Wasn’t Steveo checking out the dog house a while back?
    Yes and there was and still is a ton of secrecy about the visit and what Steven is allowed to say. Location and other information seems to be off limits.

    I'm still curious if all the pieces are in one place too. Rumor was the parts were separated and given to different parties or something like that, the bank's doing.

    I saw some pictures recently of Dago being torn down in 2009 I think, whenever it was stripped of the "Dago-esque", and it makes sense why it isn't racing. It isn't just putting together Dago, it's making a whole race plane again.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '18

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,771

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Of course by now most of us know the last steps that Dago took before her current fate. I was curious if anyone has an idea what would have been found with the scanning that Frank planned on doing? What could’ve been “smoothed” out that hasn’t been on Strega and Voodoo? Would’ve been incredible to see if it looked any different than a normal mustang. Maybe one day.........
    The scan wasn't just planned, it was done. The data could be used to run CFD analysis, as well as giving them the ability to put it back as it was before it was stripped. The six million dollar question is who has the data and if they would make it available at any price. My guess is that it will never be seen by anyone. Not that anyone seems interested in fielding a top level Gold racer at this point anyway....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,831

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    I think Jason brings up the biggest point here. The general public takes Frank Taylor's name in vain as the 'reason' Dago isn't racing anymore, and is in parts in a hangar in Sacramento. Lots of criticism for stripping off everything that Bruce Lockwood applied in 1995-96...but there was such a method to the madness by doing that. They didn't 'ruin' it. They took technology that was too expensive or didn't exist when the profiling in the '90's took place, and applied it in a way that (as Jason said) would allow them to either put it back to how it was, or to improve it based on the changes in the course in the ensuing years. Frank and his partners spent a lot of money doing that, and the data is still there and available. But as my buddy Ralph Payne used to say..."proprietary information, my boy".

    The bank repossessed the airframe from Taylor, not because HE defaulted on payment, but because the previous owners defaulted. Taylor and his partners lost everything with no recuperation of any of their investments.

    Even in the smallest of ways, I was involved with Frank on that project and I know that he didn't do anything--ANYTHING--to with the intent of making the plane slower.

    I can't say that about everyone. There is at least one (for now) retired owner who took one of the fastest racers ever and invested millions of dollars over the years to make it slower.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,633

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    I think Jason brings up the biggest point here. The general public takes Frank Taylor's name in vain as the 'reason' Dago isn't racing anymore, and is in parts in a hangar in Sacramento. Lots of criticism for stripping off everything that Bruce Lockwood applied in 1995-96...but there was such a method to the madness by doing that. They didn't 'ruin' it. They took technology that was too expensive or didn't exist when the profiling in the '90's took place, and applied it in a way that (as Jason said) would allow them to either put it back to how it was, or to improve it based on the changes in the course in the ensuing years. Frank and his partners spent a lot of money doing that, and the data is still there and available. But as my buddy Ralph Payne used to say..."proprietary information, my boy".

    The bank repossessed the airframe from Taylor, not because HE defaulted on payment, but because the previous owners defaulted. Taylor and his partners lost everything with no recuperation of any of their investments.

    Even in the smallest of ways, I was involved with Frank on that project and I know that he didn't do anything--ANYTHING--to with the intent of making the plane slower.

    I can't say that about everyone. There is at least one (for now) retired owner who took one of the fastest racers ever and invested millions of dollars over the years to make it slower.
    Lol at the last paragraph. But yes this is my understanding about all of this. I’ve read over some of the older threads and agree that Frank was doing really what was best for Dago and he ended up getting screwed. Doesn’t make sense to me that Frank wouldn’t get reimbursed in any way for the previous owners issues, but I have very limited knowledge of repossessions... so basically when it went up for sale from the bank Hoffman bought it (for unknown reasons) and Frank couldn’t because he lost all of his money? How is that fair? Seems like you can file some sort of lawsuit about that, at least I would think
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '18

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Texas, Oregon
    Posts
    619

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    ...Doesn’t make sense to me that Frank wouldn’t get reimbursed in any way for the previous owners issues, but I have very limited knowledge of repossessions... so basically when it went up for sale from the bank Hoffman bought it (for unknown reasons) and Frank couldn’t because he lost all of his money? How is that fair? Seems like you can file some sort of lawsuit about that, at least I would think
    But is there any point in suing someone who doesn't have any money? Sadly, that will only make the attorneys richer and leave the plaintiff (Frank Taylor, et al in this case) with even less money.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Napa Ca
    Posts
    1,141

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    it would be interesting to see those scans. Apparently it was well known that the doghouse on Dago was the cleanest one built. That was why Stevo went to have a look at it. He knew he could find the winning edge with Voodoo by copying it. My guess is that the current owner of Dago has the scans.

    Its a shame what happened to Dago, I do hope that one day it will return, and not as a stocker, not as a TF, but as Dago Red.

    Will

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,041

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    But as my buddy Ralph Payne used to say..."proprietary information, my boy".
    Proprietary Information

    Best race plane name ever?

    I loved Dago so much. As a fenceline rat, I watched most of it’s laps from the VOS. There was something special about the way that thing came through there. It seemed like it would pull from 6 so much better than anyone. It was amazingly smooth. Best I ever saw.

    Thank you for the comments. Always appreciated.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,771

    Default Re: Dago Red, drag-reduction scan potential?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    My guess is that the current owner of Dago has the scans.


    Will
    Why would he have them? He was not involved with that program, and I seriously doubt the person that was would let go of that data. Especially since he was the one that got screwed over the most.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •