Stead Runway Project Working 7 Days A week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Runway Project Working 7 Days A week

This past weekend I cruised over to the Stead Airport on Saturday and Sunday and noticed there was heavy equipment working both days.

With such a big project I would imagine there is a tight schedule to be ready for the air races.

Re: Stead Runway Project Working 7 Days A week

Everytime I go out there, those guys are hard at it. Seems like they will have it done.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I hope so. They are way behind schedule, mostly due to weather delays.

Comment

It doesn't sound like they are way behind. Here is the text from the letter sent to me from our Biplane class President, from Mike Scott (Reno Tahoe Airport Authority) last Friday, June 22, 2018:

"In my last construction update I shared the new aircraft flow diagram because we re-opened TWY B full-length on schedule at the end of May. This message is just an update about what our contractor is doing over the next few weeks.

The biggest news is that runway paving west of TWY B should begin mid/late-next week! RHB has been preparing the sub-grades from the east to the west, so while paving is starting near the east end, sub-grade build up will continue so the paver can just continue moving west as sections are completed. This is very exciting because they plan to pave continuously until all the paving is in now. RHB is currently working 6 days a week to keep us moving, but will be doing some “get-ahead” work this Sunday, too. The actual paving operation will be 5 days a week as it stands now which has to be coordinated with an outside asphalt mixing plant.

The final grade layer before paving is called CTB, or Concrete-Treated Base. RHB is mixing that on-site using some re-claimed material (a little recycling is cool). I have attached a couple of pictures of this process in case you’d like to geek out a little on pavement construction.

The paving will be a six inch cross section on top of 18” of sub-base and base materials. When RHB puts down the paving it will be done in two 3” lifts, so not all 6” are done at the same time. The remainder of the runway is around 1,100,000 square feet of surface area, and when you multiply that by 6” of asphalt that is a galactic freighter load of asphalt going in over the next 6 weeks or so, plus what will go into TWY A between A3 and A4.

As a reminder, we have some target dates for the contractor coming into view for the Air Races. On August 27, we should get TWY A from A3 to A4 back for moving aircraft in prep for races. On September 4, RHB should give us back RWY 8/26 in a day, VFR-only config with maybe a few missing signs and surface paint markings for Air Race use. Unfortunately, I (and, I know that you too) want an FAA-standard day/night fully marked runway that is grooved for traction, so I we are giving the runway back to RHB after Air Races for their finish work.

One of the elements that has kept some nice focus on our project is the interest of the RTAA Board of Trustees. They are all very engaged in the progress on our project, and three have maintained a strong focus in particular: Mr. Carey, Mr. Jay, and Mr. Sperber. Lastly, your interest, engagement and for sure, patience, have played a strong role. It’s not over yet, but we are getting there. Thanks.

As always, feel free to share this stuff, and drop a note if you have any questions about it…and, sorry for going all pavement geek on you. Have a good weekend."

v/r

Mike Scott

Reno-Stead Airport (RTS)

Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority

Biplane Race #3

Comment

Working...
        X