Where to Stay During Race Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Stay During Race Week?

For nearly 20 years, we've parked our motorhome at the dry camping lot owned by St Michael church. Last year, they let us know that the church is trying to sell the lot.

At this point, I believe that the church still owns the lot and are taking reservations for September. The catch is that if they sell the lot between now and then, they will issue refunds. The problem is, that a refund is not really suitable compensation for losing our spot at the last minute if it sells.

I figured that I would ask here for suggestions on where to camp. Collectively, we've got a 30 foot motorhome, a 34 foot motorhome, a tow car for the second motorhome, and a camper on a pickup truck.

We were thinking about the Optimist lot, but my wife said when she looked into it, that the entrance to the races is through the pits, so everyone needs a pit pass. That would be a really expensive option, since we have about a dozen people in the group, and many of them don't want to go through the pits every day.

Does anyone here have any recommendations? We really like being able to walk into the races (watching from the motorhome is a bonus for some of the group who can't manage a full day in the grandstands).

Thanks,
    -Wade

Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

The church does not own that land. They pay someone for the right to (over)charge people and treat them poorly. That is why they are being hinky about this. They cant control anything with the sale.

After I decided to no longer stay with them I found these guys. Just north of the optimists, and a better deal. Always room and the people who own the land are good people. You dont need a reservation, just show up. The 2nd gate is a real quick walk (less than 4 minutes, not pit entrance, only need normal ticket) , and always has a much shorter line than the main gate. If you already have tickets it is the fastest way to get in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flyingjibus; 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

you do lose a lot of elevation as compared to the church dry lot though. motorhome rooftop viewing is possible, but nowhere near as good over by St Michaels.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
        The church does not own that land. They pay someone for the right to (over)charge people and treat them poorly. That is why they are being hinky about this. They cant control anything with the sale.

After I decided to no longer stay with them I found these guys. Just north of the optimists, and a better deal. Always room and the people who own the land are good people. You dont need a reservation, just show up. The 2nd gate is a real quick walk (less than 4 minutes, not pit entrance, only need normal ticket) , and always has a much shorter line than the main gate. If you already have tickets it is the fastest way to get in.

..note the B17 and B24 in the upper right of the photo...

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          ..note the B17 and B24 in the upper right of the photo...
          Yes, thats is when the Collings Foundation came to town.

Heres couple shots on the ground.

Comment

I think the red car in the second row from the fence is me... sure spent a fair amount of time there.
            I stayed in the Optimist lot from 79 to 02. The walk to the main gate was not that far and the second gate was even closer. Never went in the pit gate, even had the same assigned spot from 88 on, X-10. It may have changed since then, I bypass it all now and don't pay close attention. I always liked it there, for what it was (windy, hot, porta-johns, one payphone for the whole area).
            My son went with me from 94 on and wants us to park the fifth-wheel out there for the week just for the experience again.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Just a thought, but I believe if you volunteer, there's free RV parking available. It's just to the left when you walk through the first fence at the main opening near the apartments.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding volunteering, I don't think that it's feasible this year because I need to be with family and friends. But a few years ago, I brought my son's in-laws down to Reno and we had a blast. They've come with us a couple of times since, but will miss this year because they'll be out of the country.

My son's father-in-law is a soon to retire A&P with the airlines, and also a general gear head and auto racing fan. He's been thinking about what to do after retirement, and I could see him doing any number of volunteer things around this sport. I'm kind of hoping that happens. If it does, I'll probably find somewhere to help out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                  I think the red car in the second row from the fence is me... sure spent a fair amount of time there.
                  I stayed in the Optimist lot from 79 to 02. The walk to the main gate was not that far and the second gate was even closer. Never went in the pit gate, even had the same assigned spot from 88 on, X-10. It may have changed since then, I bypass it all now and don't pay close attention. I always liked it there, for what it was (windy, hot, porta-johns, one payphone for the whole area).
                  My son went with me from 94 on and wants us to park the fifth-wheel out there for the week just for the experience again.
                  Staying on site is a completely different experience as I am sure you know. Lots of stuff happens before and after the show. Some of the best things I have seen at Reno happened after most everyone went back into town to stay in their hotels.

Waking up to unlimited dawn patrols is one of the things that keeps me coming back.

Comment

Some wonderful memories of good scotch, good cigars and good friends and family sitting out in the evenings watching the flying. Mornings we were already out there or in line for dawn patrol.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                      Staying on site is a completely different experience as I am sure you know. Lots of stuff happens before and after the show. Some of the best things I have seen at Reno happened after most everyone went back into town to stay in their hotels.

Waking up to unlimited dawn patrols is one of the things that keeps me coming back.
                      Well said...agree 110%. Staying on site adds a tremendous amount to the total experience. Highly recommend it if at all possible.
                      Last edited by Air Boss; 06-18-2018, 11:08 AM.
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X