Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Where to Stay During Race Week?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    28

    Default Where to Stay During Race Week?

    For nearly 20 years, we've parked our motorhome at the dry camping lot owned by St Michael church. Last year, they let us know that the church is trying to sell the lot.

    At this point, I believe that the church still owns the lot and are taking reservations for September. The catch is that if they sell the lot between now and then, they will issue refunds. The problem is, that a refund is not really suitable compensation for losing our spot at the last minute if it sells.

    I figured that I would ask here for suggestions on where to camp. Collectively, we've got a 30 foot motorhome, a 34 foot motorhome, a tow car for the second motorhome, and a camper on a pickup truck.

    We were thinking about the Optimist lot, but my wife said when she looked into it, that the entrance to the races is through the pits, so everyone needs a pit pass. That would be a really expensive option, since we have about a dozen people in the group, and many of them don't want to go through the pits every day.

    Does anyone here have any recommendations? We really like being able to walk into the races (watching from the motorhome is a bonus for some of the group who can't manage a full day in the grandstands).

    Thanks,
    -Wade

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    The church does not own that land. They pay someone for the right to (over)charge people and treat them poorly. That is why they are being hinky about this. They cant control anything with the sale.

    After I decided to no longer stay with them I found these guys. Just north of the optimists, and a better deal. Always room and the people who own the land are good people. You dont need a reservation, just show up. The 2nd gate is a real quick walk (less than 4 minutes, not pit entrance, only need normal ticket) , and always has a much shorter line than the main gate. If you already have tickets it is the fastest way to get in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	23261  
    Last edited by flyingjibus; 06-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    you do lose a lot of elevation as compared to the church dry lot though. motorhome rooftop viewing is possible, but nowhere near as good over by St Michaels.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    The church does not own that land. They pay someone for the right to (over)charge people and treat them poorly. That is why they are being hinky about this. They cant control anything with the sale.

    After I decided to no longer stay with them I found these guys. Just north of the optimists, and a better deal. Always room and the people who own the land are good people. You dont need a reservation, just show up. The 2nd gate is a real quick walk (less than 4 minutes, not pit entrance, only need normal ticket) , and always has a much shorter line than the main gate. If you already have tickets it is the fastest way to get in.

    ..note the B17 and B24 in the upper right of the photo...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ..note the B17 and B24 in the upper right of the photo...
    Yes, thats is when the Collings Foundation came to town.

    Heres couple shots on the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWR_3817.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	23262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWR_3861.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	23263  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,621

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    I think the red car in the second row from the fence is me... sure spent a fair amount of time there.
    I stayed in the Optimist lot from 79 to 02. The walk to the main gate was not that far and the second gate was even closer. Never went in the pit gate, even had the same assigned spot from 88 on, X-10. It may have changed since then, I bypass it all now and don't pay close attention. I always liked it there, for what it was (windy, hot, porta-johns, one payphone for the whole area).
    My son went with me from 94 on and wants us to park the fifth-wheel out there for the week just for the experience again.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    Just a thought, but I believe if you volunteer, there's free RV parking available. It's just to the left when you walk through the first fence at the main opening near the apartments.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    Thanks for the responses.

    Regarding volunteering, I don't think that it's feasible this year because I need to be with family and friends. But a few years ago, I brought my son's in-laws down to Reno and we had a blast. They've come with us a couple of times since, but will miss this year because they'll be out of the country.

    My son's father-in-law is a soon to retire A&P with the airlines, and also a general gear head and auto racing fan. He's been thinking about what to do after retirement, and I could see him doing any number of volunteer things around this sport. I'm kind of hoping that happens. If it does, I'll probably find somewhere to help out as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I think the red car in the second row from the fence is me... sure spent a fair amount of time there.
    I stayed in the Optimist lot from 79 to 02. The walk to the main gate was not that far and the second gate was even closer. Never went in the pit gate, even had the same assigned spot from 88 on, X-10. It may have changed since then, I bypass it all now and don't pay close attention. I always liked it there, for what it was (windy, hot, porta-johns, one payphone for the whole area).
    My son went with me from 94 on and wants us to park the fifth-wheel out there for the week just for the experience again.
    Staying on site is a completely different experience as I am sure you know. Lots of stuff happens before and after the show. Some of the best things I have seen at Reno happened after most everyone went back into town to stay in their hotels.

    Waking up to unlimited dawn patrols is one of the things that keeps me coming back.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,621

    Default Re: Where to Stay During Race Week?

    Some wonderful memories of good scotch, good cigars and good friends and family sitting out in the evenings watching the flying. Mornings we were already out there or in line for dawn patrol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •