Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Strega, No Voodoo, No Bear and Maybe No Sanders

Default Re: No Strega, No Voodoo, No Bear and Maybe No Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Think it has anything to do with the midair collision a few years ago?
    Positively 100 Percent nothing to do with anything flying FAA or anything like it. Hopefully if they are coming their issue is settled by then.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Good luck with this years ďracesĒ the story is now breaking in the new Warbirds Intl. Team Sanders are currently grounded due to a situation and if itís not resolved by Sept they are out too. Jay is done racing and Strega is not coming. ( Jay is still the 7 Pilot). So the winner is SAwbones? No thanks . The Sanders issue is the reason Dennis did not fly at Chino. Voodoo are an open question at this point and havenít said yes or no under their new situation. Rod isnít coming back - thatís not even news anymore.
    Iíll be honest, your post discusts me. True air racing fans will still be there, even if you wonít.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Once again, some have been predicting that this is the "last year" and the races are over ever since they started. It seems that some are just ready to stick a fork in.
    My first year was 1976 and they were scrounging for ANYONE to show up for unlimited racing. One of the best years simply because of the variety that DID show. Competitive? Not really, but fun!
    I agree that the Strega/Voodoo show can get a little repetitive but I still get up and scream for that final race. Last year was awesome with all of the different types in the unlimited races. Was it a show, more than a race? Sure, but I'll take it.
    So the "Bad Boys of Air Racing" (boy I hate that phrase) aren't there. Or they are, nobody knows until Monday on the ramp. If they aren't, will I be there? I have only missed 2 years since 1976 and those were with me kicking and screaming about it. The only way I won't be there is if I show up in September and the gates are locked.

We are looking forward to another GREAT year of racing fun in September!!

This year will be different but it isn’t because the races are “over” and I think it’s happening for a good reason. RARA is doing a great job filling the field with variety. TFL was cool to see, but they basically just flew the pylons for show, I also read recently that none of them wanted to bump into silver just so they could “race” each other in bronze for fun. That will be a different story with CAF and PSAM this year and I’m really looking forward to it. I think we’re going to see a lot of planes trying pretty hard to get better placement just because the top end competition isn’t there and that’s going to be cool to see. If you’ve ever seen Jason Somes fly at an airshow, you’ll understand why it’s gonna be awesome to see him race an unlimited.

Besides that, the future isn’t black. Blue Angels next year, Precious Metal, Furias, Tsunami all being worked on for a comeback and Strega/Voodoo ready to take them on if the need arises. I don’t care how much money is at stake, I don’t think Tiger will watch gold racers run the pylons without the witch unless there’s absolutely nothing he can do about it. I’ve also heard here and there that RARA is working hard for an unlimited purse sponsor or 2 and it just hasn’t come to fruition yet
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 06-09-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

It would be something to see Miss America show up with a race motor and get a gold win.

The only thing over is 500 mile racers. With engines costing 300k plus itís no surprise, it really makes no sense. Glad to have seen the last shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    It would be something to see Miss America show up with a race motor and get a gold win.
    I think that's the plan, I'm hoping Brown didn't bring Goldfinger to PRS because she's getting her September mods done
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    I think that's the plan, I'm hoping Brown didn't bring Goldfinger to PRS because she's getting her September mods done
    Yes, yes. I'm a glass half full type of guy, so I'll go with your assumption.

The general opinion of those I spoke to yesterday afternoon is that there is new management and GREAT hope of good things to come. Fred Telling KNOWS air racing and is probably the best thing that could happen to RENO.

The main thing that will make the "big boys" come and stay is SPONSORSHIP! It would be good to always present a supportive face from the fans of the sport! NASCAR has that, we don't... other than a few VERY important sponsors currently, our sport lacks the volume of major sponsorships that make NASCAR happen, from the bottom to the top, it's all about "partners" working together.. We're one of those little cogs that makes up the wheel...

I'm with Leo, given cooperation from my health care professionals, (spending last year cooped up in a hyperbaric chamber during September SUCKED!) it would take a locked gate to keep me out come September!

GO RARA!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"