Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Strega, No Voodoo, No Bear and Maybe No Sanders

Default Re: No Strega, No Voodoo, No Bear and Maybe No Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    It would be something to see Miss America show up with a race motor and get a gold win.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Especially since Miss A is one of only a handful of racers from the early years to still be flying wearing the original name and number. (Older ones being Clay Lacy's race 64, and Miss Merced. Miss A's first year was 1969.) I'd love to see all three parked on the ramp again. I think race 64 might be the only remaining unlimited from '64 that remains (still wearing a race number at least.)

Will

I'm awaiting a doctor's verdict also Wayne. I had back fusion surgery a few weeks ago and it is hard to get cleared to do anything. By September I should be practically running BUT am still going to be getting around the races by golf cart this year! But I WILL be there even if it is to watch one lowly plane bend the pylons.
    BTW stepped outside last night to the sight and sound of a Bearcat, a Hellcat and a Trojan passing over. Between that and the constant practice flights yesterday, I am ready!

The unlimited class ain't what it used to be...

No. But it might well be great again. Its up to us to make our voices heard to any potential sponsors.
    The days of a new modified racer every year or two are probably over, just costs too much, but it isn't dead by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    The unlimited class ain't what it used to be...
    Perhaps...but then, most things aren't. I remain optimistic about RARA 's future given the current leadership team. As for not having the "super" Unlimited's in the field, I suppose it was inevitable at some point. There are projects underway (PM, Tsu, etc.) that may bode well for 2019 and beyond but frankly, I think it will be interesting to see an UNL field that in many respects is somewhat "up for grabs."

Hope the upcoming Ely event goes well. Any air racing event that builds upon the history of Reno is a good thing. Wish all involved at Ely good luck and a safe and exciting event.

Here's to September...
    Owen Ashurst
    Deputy Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Despite deciding not to go this year, I bought a $100 dollar plane ticket last night. 37 years and counting....