Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72

Thread: Voodoo Speed Record

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    1,442

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Judge View Post
    Frankly, I'm scratching my head asking the same question from time to time...
    Well ya, your going to that this anywhere.

    But, this is one awesome place. There is enough interest here and a unique environment to grow this site..

    It's simple folk, Wayne needs some help here!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Once again Big Jim said a lot by not saying too much.
    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-13-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    John Slack

  3. #43

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    You die hard RB fans crack me up. You have an excuse for everything. Dago Red and Strega both have gone around Reno faster than RB EVER went, but you claim their 507+ MPH speeds weren't as fast as RBs 499 MPH lap. Voodoo went faster in the 3K, but according to you, he didn't go as fast as RB because he "dove out of the stratosphere". I also believe if Dago Red or Strega had made the 3K attempt, they too would've both broken RBs record, but you guys would never admit it. You would have an excuse for that too...
    Maybe they just want to spool you up!

  4. #44

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    I was lucky to work on the Bearcat with some of the remaining crew from its glory days, my time was from 1993-2001, John was certainly one of them. If you've never actually been part of a crew that is responsible for strapping a guy into a Gold Unlimited racer on Sunday at Reno your perspective is likely different from those that have. The sheer amount of work that it takes to prepare an airplane to even get there is staggering when they run that fast, and it's usually volunteers. After extended conversations over the years with some of the main crew that were part of the record attempt I've come to the conclusion that the stars weren't perfectly aligned and a couple of mistakes were made that kept the Bearcats record from being around 545 mph. It was obviously capable, the engine went on as if it hadn't done anything special, as did the pilot and airframe. I still think the Bearcat is capable of being faster, but as John said the brain trust is gone, some from indifference, some have passed away. Makes me sad sometimes, but I also look back with a sense of nostalgia and I'd actually like to just see the airplane again.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    A short history. https://www.airspacemag.com/history-...220946/?page=1
    Lots of stuff left out and some wild inaccuracy, but there is some actual history in the article. Honestly until someone gets a bug in their ass to do something with it it's tied for the record of the worlds slowest airplane. It's stationary.
    Last edited by knot4u; 06-13-2018 at 08:30 PM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Sometimes I laugh to myself and think that this will actually turn out to be someone like Pete Law hiding behind a pseudonym, just stirring up the pot for fun....that he'll reveal himself like Alan Funt on some episode of Candid Camera. I would feel much better for having been punked. Because right now, it just feels like the kid who keeps acting out over and over again just to get attention.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Sometimes I laugh to myself and think that this will actually turn out to be someone like Pete Law hiding behind a pseudonym, just stirring up the pot for fun....that he'll reveal himself like Alan Funt on some episode of Candid Camera. I would feel much better for having been punked. Because right now, it just feels like the kid who keeps acting out over and over again just to get attention.
    You guys completely ignore the facts, then you make it out like I'm the one who's out in left field...

  8. #48

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Well ya, your going to that this anywhere.

    But, this is one awesome place. There is enough interest here and a unique environment to grow this site..

    It's simple folk, Wayne needs some help here!
    Yes, this site is a good one to be sure. Just from time to time it gets a bit personal and leans towards eating our own young.

    But...I'm still here and enjoy learning from the experiences and KSA's of those who are willing to share.

    On another note...Wayne, wasn't there a "Donate" button floating around? Did I overlook it? Happy to drop some $$$ in the coffers and challenge others here to match. Any takers?
    Owen Ashurst
    Deputy Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    1,442

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Judge View Post
    Yes, this site is a good one to be sure. Just from time to time it gets a bit personal and leans towards eating our own young.

    But...I'm still here and enjoy learning from the experiences and KSA's of those who are willing to share.

    On another note...Wayne, wasn't there a "Donate" button floating around? Did I overlook it? Happy to drop some $$$ in the coffers and challenge others here to match. Any takers?
    You can count me in.


  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    1,188

    Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    You guys completely ignore the facts, then you make it out like I'm the one who's out in left field...
    Source of said facts:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	23260
    Last edited by flyingjibus; 06-14-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •