Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo Speed Record

Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

It's alsofaster than the Bear, on HALF the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
    It's alsofaster than the Bear, on HALF the motor.
    To be correct Voodoo has .4922% of the cubic inch displacement of Rare Bear. Voodoo also runs her one and done engine package at 212.5% of the boost. Yes Rare Bear used a 300 horsepower dose of nitrous oxide continuosly to set the 3 KM record. Lyle started his record attempt without screaming out of the stratosphere, quite frankly because in the pre-GPS era it was hard to find the 3 KM course. Then we changed the oil and the spark plugs and flew all the way from Las Vegas, New Mexico to Van Nuts, California. Then we checked the valve lash, flew to Reno, Nevada then we won Reno. Then we flew the plane from Reno, Nevada back to Van Nuys, California did a typical years maintenance which included change 2 or three cylinders, plug changes, exhaust pipe inspection, valve lashing, fly back to Reno on the same engine and won Reno again. You'll never do that with a Merlin. You'll also never do that with Rare Bear again either. The group of people who made that happen with the knowledge required to make that happen are no longer working on the airplane and quite frankly under the current ownership never will again. I have respectfully responded to your post. I do so because my Dad no longer can, nor actually would he likely as he prefered in his lifetime to respond with his airplane. It would be quite a nice day to see a youthful Lyle Shelton, Tiger Destefani, Skip Holm in "butter knife" and Stevo Hinton race, however time equalizes everything.
    John
    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-12-2018 at 05:13 AM.
    John Slack

Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    To be correct Voodoo has .4922% of the cubic inch displacement of Rare Bear. Voodoo also runs her one and done engine package at 212.5% of the boost. Yes Rare Bear used a 300 horsepower dose of nitrous oxide continuosly to set the 3 KM record. Then we changed the oil and the spark plugs and flew all the way from Las Vegas, New Mexico to Van Nuts, California. Then we checked the valve lash, flew to Reno, Nevada then we won Reno. Then we flew the plane from Reno, Nevada back to Van Nuys, California did a typical years maintenance which included change 2 or three cylinders, plug changes, exhaust pipe inspection, valve lashing, fly back to Reno on the same engine and won Reno again. You'll never do that with a Merlin. You'll also never do that with Rare Bear again either. The group of people who made that happen with the knowledge required to make that happen are no longer working on the airplane and quite frankly under the current ownership never will again.
    John
    There's no question the Merlin has to work A LOT harder than the big radials, and that usually means attempts like this trash the motor. That makes them no less impressive. To get these kinds of speeds and this much power from an engine this size, and one that was designed in the 1940s, is way beyond amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    It got easier. They did it with the easier requirements, and went slightly faster. Had the requirements been as hard as they were before, the attempt would not have counted for anything, and they likely would not have gone as fast.

Voodoo is faster than steadfast though. That we can see.

What exactly was easier about Voodoo's attempt as compared to RB's attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    What exactly was easier about Voodoo's attempt as compared to RB's attempt?
    Well, someone who was actually there just explained it for you in the post above yours.

"SCREAMING OUT OF THE STRATOSPHERE"

Well, someone who was actually there just explained it for you in the post above yours.

"SCREAMING OUT OF THE STRATOSPHERE"
    This was done on all 4 passes?

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    This was done on all 4 passes?
    No, but does that matter ? Math matters.

=average of 566

= average of 505

This never gets old for you?

Look man, no one is disagreeing with you when you say that the super stangs are fast. They are the fastest game in town right now, by a lot.

But you seem to always push this narrative that there is no reason they couldnt just drop what they were doing, pop up in the air for a minute and beat the old record, or push the throttle to 11 on race day and turn 600mph laps with their eyes closed.

Voodoo, now appears to be very close to the speeds the Bear was capable of in its prime, probably even a tiny bit faster, Same for Strega. All three of those planes are very evenly matched when healthy and performing.

To make an airplanes top speed go from 300 to 400 mph can be done with some airframe mods, and a hot motor.

To make an airplanes top speed go from 400 to 450 mph takes some **** hot air frame mods, and a wizard engine builder.

To go from 450 to 475 needs all of the above, then some, and then some luck.

To go from 485 to 500 needs the all of the above and then the stars to align for you.

every mph over 500 is year of work, and cubic dollars.

Strega=fast as hell
    Voodoo=fast as hell
    Bear=fast as hell

There is no disputing that.

Why dont you just get on board with everyone and agree to that?

I have watched that bear cat whoop the pants off people for 35 years. I have also watched Strega and voodoo whoop the pants off people for the last 10 years. Perhaps you are just missing some perspective?

This never gets old for you?

Look man, no one is disagreeing with you when you say that the super stangs are fast. They are the fastest game in town right now, by a lot.

But you seem to always push this narrative that there is no reason they couldnt just drop what they were doing, pop up in the air for a minute and beat the old record, or push the throttle to 11 on race day and turn 600mph laps with their eyes closed.

Voodoo, now appears to be very close to the speeds the Bear was capable of in its prime, probably even a tiny bit faster, Same for Strega. All three of those planes are very evenly matched when healthy and performing.

To make an airplanes top speed go from 300 to 400 mph can be done with some airframe mods, and a hot motor.

To make an airplanes top speed go from 400 to 450 mph takes some **** hot air frame mods, and a wizard engine builder.

To go from 450 to 475 needs all of the above, then some, and then some luck.

To go from 485 to 500 needs the all of the above and then the stars to align for you.

every mph over 500 is year of work, and cubic dollars.

Strega=fast as hell
    Voodoo=fast as hell
    Bear=fast as hell

There is no disputing that.

Why dont you just get on board with everyone and agree to that?

I have watched that bear cat whoop the pants off people for 35 years. I have also watched Strega and voodoo whoop the pants off people for the last 10 years. Perhaps you are just missing some perspective?
    I am responding to you because, pretty much responding to Grampi is like teaching a pig to sing. I have no dog in the hunt anymore, I designed and made the parts for changing the wing incidence angle on Strega, I designed the parts for changing the wing incidence angle on Voodoo. I was involved in the Rare Bear engine program until my Dad and I had a disagreement in 1999, 1999 & 2000 were spent with Strega. the next year I was moved by Dwight Thorn over to the Dago Red program. So I may have a little more real knowledge of the aircraft involved than Grampi. With a fully healthy Bear and Lyle Shelton in the cockpit none of the Mustangs mentioned could beat the Bear. Unfortunately time has robbed us of both of those assets. The Bear has been taken down a road that the people who won races with her strongly disagree with. But current ownership will not allow that to be remedied, and the people who could remedy that will not work for the current ownership.
    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-12-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    John Slack

So if an airplane goes 554 mph after diving from 6000 feet AGL, and then goes 528 on the next pass when it cannot dive the same way, is it a 550 mph airplane or a 528 mph airplane?

A good little article on the speed record here: http://vintageaviationecho.com/voodoo-speed-record/

Neal