Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo Speed Record

Default Re: Voodoo Speed Record

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Sorry to burst your fan boy bubble, but no it isn't...
    Prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    Prove it.

It's already been done, did you not hear of Voodoo's record?

531>528

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    531>528
    Apparently, flyingjibus doesn't get this...

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    531>528
    That may be so, but it wasn't the required percentage above 528 for it to be official. (Yes Rare Bear's record was "retired" but in order to beat a record, the speed must be a percentage faster. I think its 1% faster. If I'm not mistaken they needed 534 mph for the record to be beaten.) They set the current record at 531, but apparently it was just under the required amount to break the record according to the rules.

I am in no way belittling their accomplishment. What the Voodoo guys did was pretty amazing. My hat is off to them. I hope they make another attempt to beat their own record and in doing so beat Lyles record at the same time. (That way no one can argue the point over a technicality.) My guess is if they don't beat their own record, its still going to stand for decades the same way Lyles has simply because its a very hard record to beat. The bar is set in the stratosphere, someone will need to go to the mesosphere to clear it.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    That may be so, but it wasn't the required percentage above 528 for it to be official. (Yes Rare Bear's record was "retired" but in order to beat a record, the speed must be a percentage faster. I think its 1% faster. If I'm not mistaken they needed 534 mph for the record to be beaten.) They set the current record at 531, but apparently it was just under the required amount to break the record according to the rules.
    Will
    Somebody correct me, but you can't actually beat a 'retired' record so the having to go 1% faster argument doesn't stand up. Voodoo set a new class record all its own, the speed of which is faster than the one set by Rare Bear. Even if Voodoo went significantly faster, it wouldn't offically break the old record. But it would be (and currently is) faster.
    Last edited by Rich W; 06-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Somebody correct me, but you can't actually beat a 'retired' record so the having to go 1% faster argument doesn't stand up. Voodoo set a new class record all its own, the speed of which is faster than the one set by Rare Bear. Even if Voodoo went significantly faster, it wouldn't offically break the old record. But it would be (and curently is) faster.
    I had the same thought but didn't know how to word it till now.
    You have two separate records. They both go in the record book. But Voodoo's record is faster (and I believe in a separate weight category?).

I don't think Rare Bear can both have its record retired and be the fastest airplane ever. That sounds like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

For all the nit pickers. Lets say Voodoo attempts the record again. To do that, they must beat their current record by 1%. That would be at least 536.XX mph. Let's say they "only" achieve 535.XX. Not enough to officially up the record, but faster than the 533.XX needed to be 1% faster than the retired Rare Bear record. Are you going to say they are now faster than the Bear even though it isn't an official record? To me a record is only a record if it is official per the FAI. Voodoo has that record now. Period. And that record is faster than the officially retired number set by Rare Bear.

Steve-o flying Voodoo broke a record held by Will Whiteside, set in his Yak, Steadfast.

This is not hard to understand.

The success was bittersweet, however, as the ultimate goal was to break the speed record over a 3 km closed course set in 1989 by Lyle Shelton in Rare Bear — a Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat. The FAI retired Shelton’s record after the organization made changes in the sporting code. While Hinton’s speed was slightly quicker than Shelton’s, had the rules not changed the record would have to beat by 1 percent, translating to 533 mph.
    https://www.flyingmag.com/p-51-voodo...iston-in-world

It got easier. They did it with the easier requirements, and went slightly faster. Had the requirements been as hard as they were before, the attempt would not have counted for anything, and they likely would not have gone as fast.

Voodoo is faster than steadfast though. That we can see.