Voodoo Speed Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voodoo Speed Record

The current ownership seems to be just letting the Bear accumulate dust. The more time passes, the less chance I feel I'll ever see it fly again. I think I'd rather see it in a museum than just be neglected. Is there any hope that there is a flying, and more importantly, a racing future for the Bear?

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
      I am responding to you because, pretty much responding to Grampi is like teaching a pig to sing. I have no dog in the hunt anymore, I designed and made the parts for changing the wing incidence angle on Strega, I designed the parts for changing the wing incidence angle on Voodoo. I was involved in the Rare Bear engine program until my Dad and I had a disagreement in 1999, 1999 & 2000 were spent with Strega. the next year I was moved by Dwight Thorn over to the Dago Red program. So I may have a little more real knowledge of the aircraft involved than Grampi. With a fully healthy Bear and Lyle Shelton in the cockpit none of the Mustangs mentioned could beat the Bear. Unfortunately time has robbed us of both of those assets. The Bear has been taken down a road that the people who won races with her strongly disagree with. But current ownership will not allow that to be remedied, and the people who could remedy that will not work for the current ownership.
      I agree with you 100% Mr Slack. I have watched Lyle pass all of those planes like they were sitting still. Time has just eroded some peoples memories, and others just dont have the experience of seeing that plane at its peak.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
        The current ownership seems to be just letting the Bear accumulate dust. The more time passes, the less chance I feel I'll ever see it fly again. I think I'd rather see it in a museum than just be neglected. Is there any hope that there is a flying, and more importantly, a racing future for the Bear?
        People need to start understanding that there’s a chance for EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to happen. Tsunami is being rebuilt for gods sake and currently there is ZERO money in the sport. Trust me, as Wayne said a few days ago the new ownership really knows what they are doing, they haven’t had a crew like this in a long time, they haven’t been at it a year and they’ve already brought back Hisey and Brown, 2 of the legends that pretty much swore they would never come back again. All its going to take is ONE single spark to reignite this thing and there is NO chance that people are gonna sit on the sidelines while Tsunami is out dominating the pylons at Stead. Sure we might have a few off years like this year is shaping up to be, but there’s still warbirds racing and it’s a perfect time for RARA to really look out their game plan. There is also a reason that NONE of our current racers have been turned back to stock. What’s the last full racer to do so, Critical Mass? There’s a boatload of full race Unlimiteds still out there and until they’re parked in the Smithsonian (NEVER happening) or selling rides at local airshows, they ARE NOT done. Plain and simple. I don’t want to hear “Oh Rod said Bear isn’t racing” that’s BS and not too long ago both Button and Tiger both said “we’re done” and who were the 2 planes at Reno 2017? Exactly. Everyone’s way too pessimistic about Unlimiteds and this is the time they need us the most.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
          I agree with you 100% Mr Slack. I have watched Lyle pass all of those planes like they were sitting still. Time has just eroded some peoples memories, and others just dont have the experience of seeing that plane at its peak.
          Lyle and the Bear they were both unbelievable monsters of performance in their own right.

BTW, I am a huge fan of Stevo Hinton. Huge and have no disagreement with the way he looks at the record. Lyle's record will stand forever, However I would be much happier if Stevo had broken the 1% barrier.
          John
          John Slack

Comment

There was a stipulation in the past by some one who had a controlling interest that Tsunami could never be raced again if it was rebuilt. That was one reason they started to clone it.
            Does anyone know, has that been resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
              There was a stipulation in the past by some one who had a controlling interest that Tsunami could never be raced again if it was rebuilt. That was one reason they started to clone it.
              I feel like that was discussed in the big Tsunami thread but I could be wrong.

Comment

You die hard RB fans crack me up. You have an excuse for everything. Dago Red and Strega both have gone around Reno faster than RB EVER went, but you claim their 507+ MPH speeds weren't as fast as RBs 499 MPH lap. Voodoo went faster in the 3K, but according to you, he didn't go as fast as RB because he "dove out of the stratosphere". I also believe if Dago Red or Strega had made the 3K attempt, they too would've both broken RBs record, but you guys would never admit it. You would have an excuse for that too...
                Last edited by grampi; 06-13-2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

And people on this site still scratch their heads as to why the 'players' don't come here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                    The original players had a legal agreement that only one would ever be built, so no clones. Not sure about any stipulation on not racing it if it was rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      And people on this site still scratch their heads as to why the 'players' don't come here anymore.
                      Frankly, I'm scratching my head asking the same question from time to time...
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                        Frankly, I'm scratching my head asking the same question from time to time...
                        Well ya, your going to that this anywhere.

But, this is one awesome place. There is enough interest here and a unique environment to grow this site..

It's simple folk, Wayne needs some help here!

Comment

Once again Big Jim said a lot by not saying too much.
                          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                            You die hard RB fans crack me up. You have an excuse for everything. Dago Red and Strega both have gone around Reno faster than RB EVER went, but you claim their 507+ MPH speeds weren't as fast as RBs 499 MPH lap. Voodoo went faster in the 3K, but according to you, he didn't go as fast as RB because he "dove out of the stratosphere". I also believe if Dago Red or Strega had made the 3K attempt, they too would've both broken RBs record, but you guys would never admit it. You would have an excuse for that too...
                            Maybe they just want to spool you up!

Comment

I was lucky to work on the Bearcat with some of the remaining crew from its glory days, my time was from 1993-2001, John was certainly one of them. If you've never actually been part of a crew that is responsible for strapping a guy into a Gold Unlimited racer on Sunday at Reno your perspective is likely different from those that have. The sheer amount of work that it takes to prepare an airplane to even get there is staggering when they run that fast, and it's usually volunteers. After extended conversations over the years with some of the main crew that were part of the record attempt I've come to the conclusion that the stars weren't perfectly aligned and a couple of mistakes were made that kept the Bearcats record from being around 545 mph. It was obviously capable, the engine went on as if it hadn't done anything special, as did the pilot and airframe. I still think the Bearcat is capable of being faster, but as John said the brain trust is gone, some from indifference, some have passed away. Makes me sad sometimes, but I also look back with a sense of nostalgia and I'd actually like to just see the airplane again.

Comment

A short history. https://www.airspacemag.com/history-...220946/?page=1
                                Lots of stuff left out and some wild inaccuracy, but there is some actual history in the article. Honestly until someone gets a bug in their ass to do something with it it's tied for the record of the worlds slowest airplane. It's stationary.
                                Last edited by knot4u; 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X