Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on FB vs AAFO and a member funding drive push

Default Re: Thoughts on FB vs AAFO and a member funding drive push

It would be great to get teams posting here. That said, people here have said some less than polite things about how things were getting done to various people and they have left.

All forums everywhere have this issue it is not unique.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    All forums everywhere have this issue it is not unique.
    This is true, and its also true on FB. That said, it seems like a few people were put off by people on the board here and decided that it simply wasn't worth their time to post. They may still check in from time to time, but keep a low profile in doing so.

Another thing is that in the offseason, there isn't much going on in here. Perhaps we should start posting non racing related stuff such as local airshows that someone has attended or whatnot. It really does seem like the number of people who start and post to threads has grown pretty small. Heck, the site has a whole list of really great aviation photographers, let's start posting some new threads of Airshows or shoots we do. (In the past 3 weeks I've done Beale and Chino, I've got lots of pics from both, and I know there were a few others who attended at least one if not both shows.)

Will

Thought I'd offer the millenial perspective. There's lots of things happening in air racing, they just typically aren't in the unlimited class. And this forum deals almost exclusively with the unlimiteds. Therefore there is a lacking of actual content from the unlimited teams for people to comment on and discuss, so of course forum traffic dies down. (ie you need a youtube video for there to be youtube comments). Precious Metal was popular because they actually shared stuff and what progress or projects they had. Now that PM is down, Full Noise has stepped up some to fill the gap some, but it's not a full blown racer.

Either there is content and it isn't making it's way here, or my theory, there just isn't much content to begin with. If it's the latter, then new content must be sought out elsewhere (ie the other classes, red bull, air race 1, fixed wing drone racing (which is a thing now) or whatever works for people)

Also most forums are struggling. Facebook has changed the industry. Not saying it's good or bad, just that the market has shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Thought I'd offer the millenial perspective. There's lots of things happening in air racing, they just typically aren't in the unlimited class. And this forum deals almost exclusively with the unlimiteds. Therefore there is a lacking of actual content from the unlimited teams for people to comment on and discuss, so of course forum traffic dies down. (ie you need a youtube video for there to be youtube comments). Precious Metal was popular because they actually shared stuff and what progress or projects they had. Now that PM is down, Full Noise has stepped up some to fill the gap some, but it's not a full blown racer.

Either there is content and it isn't making it's way here, or my theory, there just isn't much content to begin with. If it's the latter, then new content must be sought out elsewhere (ie the other classes, red bull, air race 1, fixed wing drone racing (which is a thing now) or whatever works for people)

Also most forums are struggling. Facebook has changed the industry. Not saying it's good or bad, just that the market has shifted.
    I agree. There is lots happening with air racing, both in the Sport and IF1 classes. Yes, this forum has revolved around Unlimiteds, but there have been a few people in the sport class who have posted here in the past, but they have been quiet lately. It would be great to hear whats going on with Relentless, One Moment, and all the rest of the sport racers. There is a lot of cool stuff going on in that class. The same with the IF1 guys. Its been a long time since any of them have posted anything here. It would be great if that were to change.

I also agree that there is lots of content out there that isn't making it here, especially with the Sport and IF1 guys. It makes it to FB, but not here. I'd love for it to be in both places. Post some stuff to FB, but post the really good stuff here so you have to become a member of the forum to read about it. (Although word would make it back to FB anyway.)

We are the seriously hard core fans of air racing. I lurked as a visitor for probably 10 years before I became an actual member (mostly because I had nothing to add at the time.) however it was here that I was able to follow the races until I was able to make it back to Reno starting in 2010. I'm sure there are others like me who followed but couldn't make it to reno, so lived vicariously through the site. I'd love to see the site return to what it was 15 years ago with tons of content from all the classes.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Another thing is that in the offseason, there isn't much going on in here. Perhaps we should start posting non racing related stuff such as local airshows that someone has attended or whatnot. It really does seem like the number of people who start and post to threads has grown pretty small. Heck, the site has a whole list of really great aviation photographers, let's start posting some new threads of Airshows or shoots we do. (In the past 3 weeks I've done Beale and Chino, I've got lots of pics from both, and I know there were a few others who attended at least one if not both shows.)

Will
    I agree. I love seeing photos of airshows and such, especially if there isn't much going on. I check this forum almost every day, but I just don't have much to say and almost no inside information. But I do love air racing and this website. Thank you to all who contribute!

Also I don't use Facebook and I am fairly young. Just not a fan of Facebook in general. This is where I get most of my info.

Thanks for posting, it's nice to hear from those who visit!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Similar for me. I first attended the races in 1988 and this year will be my 27th visit to Reno. I love the races - all classes - and have deeply appreciated this forum over the years. I don't seem to ever have much to post since I'm not an insider nor a pilot. But I am more than happy to participate in a funding drive for this site. I'm not a FB guy.

Dan