Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited News!

Default Re: Unlimited News!

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    I agree, would I like to see Voodoo and Strega go at it again this year? Well yes, but it probably won't ever top last years race so what's the point? The next time I want to see the supers go at it is when it's Voodoo, Strega, and at least one more be that Bear, Furias, PM, etc... I think in the meantime it's in RARA's best interest to find the sponsor(s) to increase prize money and increase Unlimited attendance in ways besides the top dogs, which they've been doing a hell of a job...

For now I think the best gold race will be super stockers very evenly matched... Maybe get Mike on the road to trimming Goldfinger up some more or buying 232? Not saying it's likely, just saying it isn't impossible to gain interest again.
    I haven't seen a word said in this thread about the possibility of a good race between Miss America and Dreadnaught. Unless Miss America has really gone all out on the speed mods shouldn't they be about equal in race speeds? Then, if maybe Sawbones was able to ramp it up a bit (remember Howard Pardue and Riff Raff were both bumping up against 440 mph in their day)--that could make for some very interesting racing without the top guys and also some extremely fun sounds!!!! This seems to be a bit closer to reality for this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    I haven't seen a word said in this thread about the possibility of a good race between Miss America and Dreadnaught. Unless Miss America has really gone all out on the speed mods shouldn't they be about equal in race speeds? Then, if maybe Sawbones was able to ramp it up a bit (remember Howard Pardue and Riff Raff were both bumping up against 440 mph in their day)--that could make for some very interesting racing without the top guys and also some extremely fun sounds!!!! This seems to be a bit closer to reality for this coming year.
    I agree, what I meant by "super stockers" is those that aren't stock that run behind the top gold racers. Dreadnought, Sawbones, Miss America, potentially Goldfinger, and maybe even Lylia and Full Noise (depending on what happens). Now this could be a pretty good Gold race. Woelbing might even be tempted to bring Miss Merced if the possibility of winning gold is nothing over 450mph laps... Awesome sounds, tight racing, I'm all for it!!!

And on top of that I think the motivation to "try harder" will be there for all the competitors. Dreadnought can run faster than it has the past few years, we know that. There just hasn't been the need to since third has been somewhat guaranteed...
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

I agree, what I meant by "super stockers" is those that aren't stock that run behind the top gold racers. Dreadnought, Sawbones, Miss America, potentially Goldfinger, and maybe even Lylia and Full Noise (depending on what happens). Now this could be a pretty good Gold race. Woelbing might even be tempted to bring Miss Merced if the possibility of winning gold is nothing over 450mph laps... Awesome sounds, tight racing, I'm all for it!!!

And on top of that I think the motivation to "try harder" will be there for all the competitors. Dreadnought can run faster than it has the past few years, we know that. There just hasn't been the need to since third has been somewhat guaranteed...
    I spoke with Dusty a couple weeks ago and it sounds like Lylia is out. He's still trying to pay off Shanty Irish, and it sounds like the engine on the Yak could use some attention.

As for the super stock racers, I think Sawbones is pretty well tapped out since the owner doesn't want to do any more speed mods, and doesn't want to have to rebuild the engine (so they run it at normal power settings.) Dreadnought is going to need the big tail to go fast, but I gather that they aren't all that excited to put it back on for some reason. (It was damaged in the unfortunate accident that caused another aircraft to crash with a loss of life a couple years ago.) Goldfinger is a total wild card, although I hear Mike Brown was spending quite a bit of time at Ione lately. As much as I would love to see Full Noise in the mix, I really don't see it happening without a ton of mods. Sure, they might make the Gold, I still think they are going to be in the mid-high 300s. If Miss A shows up with a hot engine and some bolt on mods, I'll bet on Miss A for the win. (They could also blow the induction trunk off like RR3 did in 2009 and be done.) I have to say, I think Reno will be exciting as ever, with a few old faces who haven't been seen in a long time, and perhaps some new ones. The racing will be perhaps better than ever even though its not at 500 mph.

Will

Jets will still be there. 500mph racing will still happen.

Honestly, if most of the planes everyone has mentioned in this thread show up, I won't miss Strega or Voodoo. And, whenever PM makes it back, another Gold contender.

Thom is still planning on bringing Precious Metal back once they rebuild her, right?

Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Honestly, if most of the planes everyone has mentioned in this thread show up, I won't miss Strega or Voodoo. And, whenever PM makes it back, another Gold contender.

Thom is still planning on bringing Precious Metal back once they rebuild her, right?
    Every time someone asks him he says yes it's just a slow process
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

I thought Destifini, right after last years win, said that Strega would definitely be back next year (2018). Sounds good about the other airplanes showing up, I'm all for that, and hope they do. Like someone else said there's the Jets for the 500 mph laps, Sport Class for 400 mph class. and always GREAT, tight racing from the T-6's, Biplanes, and F-1's. Can't wait for Sept.

Every time someone asks him he says yes it's just a slow process

Wait for it....

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Say, what's the latest news on "Wildfire"?

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    I thought Destifini, right after last years win, said that Strega would definitely be back next year (2018). Sounds good about the other airplanes showing up, I'm all for that, and hope they do. Like someone else said there's the Jets for the 500 mph laps, Sport Class for 400 mph class. and always GREAT, tight racing from the T-6's, Biplanes, and F-1's. Can't wait for Sept.
    It sounded like Tiger wants to bring Strega back if there is competition. We spoke to Jay at Chino and he was hesitant at best about them going. I think it would be awesome if Strega shows with a 'stock' engine to see how it competes against Miss A and Goldie. Save them the money to rebuild a full race engine and they might even break even if they win...

And N22252, the latest is still that magazine article about Mojave that stated their intentions to bring the plane this year. Their communication is awful and I don't really know anybody working on the project that I want to reach out to. Matt used to chime in here and there, but...

*side note, loving this thread, a lot of different posters on here all with something to say, not me and Dawg having a conversation LOL
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 05-22-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

I thought the races were dying or dead?
    The gold has become a show of 2 fast planes working around the slower planes until one of them cannot keep up the pace. As exciting as last year was, I would still like to see several racers out front in the gold battling it out. I don't care if it is at 500 mph or 350.
    Looking forward to this year!