Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited News!

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
    I've heard nothing to suggest they will be there.

Back on the topic of good news, I've not seen Miss A in person yet, so I'm looking forward to that. Also more important is the relationship between Miss A's owner and RARA seems to have been mended (which is something people have been yelling at RARA to do for years now).
    Also it would be refreshing to see a new plane (ie not Strega or Voodoo) win the unlimiteds for a change.

Also assuming Czech Mate's owner refuses to race again, this would be the ideal year for people to pull together 400K. Pretty sure that would make CM the new "people's racer".
    RARA's COO has been making a serious effort to fix previous wrongs. I first met him at the NAG banquet back in March, and then again at Chino two weeks ago. The fact that Miss A will be back says a lot for that. Had someone suggested that Miss A would be back prior to the NAG banquet, I would have laughed. Still, when I was sitting next to Pete Law, and heard him say that he had done a new cooling system for Miss A, I was shocked. Later on, Tony (RARA COO) introduced himself and made the announcement that they would be back. I was totally shocked. When I ran into him again at Chino, he shocked me again with the news that Mike Brown would be back with Goldfinger.

Part of the issue with Strega and Voodoo is that the owners want big $$$$ to show up. From the sound of it, it seemed like they each wanted the same amount as the whole Unlimited purse.

As for getting Czech Mate back, it seems like there really isn't anyone too excited to fly it. Sherm Smoot said he was done racing it at the NAG dinner two years ago, and Jay didn't seem all that thrilled to try racing it again. At this point it might be less a case of the owner feeling snubbed by RARA, and more a case of there being no one to fly it. (Pure speculation there)

The cool thing I see is the interest museums are showing in bringing their birds out to race. I spoke with Mike Pfleger at Chino about racing the Wildcat again and he was all for it, but wasn't sure if the museum would give him the go ahead. We almost had a Zero racing, but apparently it will only be a static display. I think the Griffon powered Spitfire is a go still. There is also a P63 Kingcobra slated to race this year.

Are there any 500+ mph birds racing? Nope, not that I know of. Do we have the possibility of some awesome racing at 460ish? You bet! Personally I'd love to see Miss A win this year since it is perhaps the oldest racer still wearing essentially the same paint scheme as it did in the early '60s (Miss Merced would be the next oldest followed by Cloud Dancer I think.) It would be fantastic to see such an iconic racer take the gold more than 50 years after it made its first appearance at Reno.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      RARA's COO has been making a serious effort to fix previous wrongs. I first met him at the NAG banquet back in March, and then again at Chino two weeks ago. The fact that Miss A will be back says a lot for that. Had someone suggested that Miss A would be back prior to the NAG banquet, I would have laughed. Still, when I was sitting next to Pete Law, and heard him say that he had done a new cooling system for Miss A, I was shocked. Later on, Tony (RARA COO) introduced himself and made the announcement that they would be back. I was totally shocked. When I ran into him again at Chino, he shocked me again with the news that Mike Brown would be back with Goldfinger.

Part of the issue with Strega and Voodoo is that the owners want big $$$$ to show up. From the sound of it, it seemed like they each wanted the same amount as the whole Unlimited purse.

As for getting Czech Mate back, it seems like there really isn't anyone too excited to fly it. Sherm Smoot said he was done racing it at the NAG dinner two years ago, and Jay didn't seem all that thrilled to try racing it again. At this point it might be less a case of the owner feeling snubbed by RARA, and more a case of there being no one to fly it. (Pure speculation there)

The cool thing I see is the interest museums are showing in bringing their birds out to race. I spoke with Mike Pfleger at Chino about racing the Wildcat again and he was all for it, but wasn't sure if the museum would give him the go ahead. We almost had a Zero racing, but apparently it will only be a static display. I think the Griffon powered Spitfire is a go still. There is also a P63 Kingcobra slated to race this year.

Are there any 500+ mph birds racing? Nope, not that I know of. Do we have the possibility of some awesome racing at 460ish? You bet! Personally I'd love to see Miss A win this year since it is perhaps the oldest racer still wearing essentially the same paint scheme as it did in the early '60s (Miss Merced would be the next oldest followed by Cloud Dancer I think.) It would be fantastic to see such an iconic racer take the gold more than 50 years after it made its first appearance at Reno.

Will
      Thanks Will, I imagine I took the initial info from you and put it here! Forgot you had an AAFO account!

The new team is doing a great job so far in fixing previous wrongdoings, biggest thing besides making RARA 'respectable' is the purse needs to go up. Let's see how the new team does in that regard, haven't heard anything big yet, but have hear rumors of things that'll hopefully come to fruition within a year or 2. As for this year, I'm more than happy to have some super stockers racing at 450+. Better than Dreadnought running around in the lead at 430...

All the Unlimited fans gotta look at Sport class too, they're pretty fast, have an awesome sound, and can be pretty unreliable like the Unlimiteds since they're always on edge. Puts an air of excitement into it when you know someones pushing their limits.

Gonna be an awesome year. Fill up the Unlimited class with some stockers like the old days, have a solid base of super stockers that ran speeds like Risky Business, Miss America, the 3350 Furies... And hopefully bring the big boys back when Reno gets ramped up again
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Just my opinion here, but as much as I like Voodoo and Strega, it is getting a bit boring, especially if one doesn't race. In that case, as long as the plane stays healthy, it will win. Doesn't even have to be at full race speed, just enough to stay out front...sort of like racing an Indy car against a standard sports car....you pretty much can have a sure bet on who is going to win.
        I like the idea of several "lesser" planes, if you will, (not saying this in a bad way!) that are more evenly matched across the field having a race. Makes it much more exciting when it is up for grabs who will win, and not quite a slam dunk.
        As for the owners of Voodoo and Strega wanting big money, that is their choice, but if they don't get what they want, what does one do with a full out race P-51? You can fly it around, but I would bet it would not be that comfortable; you can try and keep beating the speed record, but even then, there will be a time when it will be impossible to improve on; or give exhibition demonstrations at air shows. In that case, I think that the distance would be the limiting factor due to range, and maintainence issues that might arise on the flight.
        I would like to see a race with the "super racers" such as Voodoo, Strega, Precious Metal, Rare Bear, and any others with the ability of that much speed. It would, IMO, make it a bit more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
          Just my opinion here, but as much as I like Voodoo and Strega, it is getting a bit boring, especially if one doesn't race. In that case, as long as the plane stays healthy, it will win. Doesn't even have to be at full race speed, just enough to stay out front...sort of like racing an Indy car against a standard sports car....you pretty much can have a sure bet on who is going to win.
          I like the idea of several "lesser" planes, if you will, (not saying this in a bad way!) that are more evenly matched across the field having a race. Makes it much more exciting when it is up for grabs who will win, and not quite a slam dunk.
          As for the owners of Voodoo and Strega wanting big money, that is their choice, but if they don't get what they want, what does one do with a full out race P-51? You can fly it around, but I would bet it would not be that comfortable; you can try and keep beating the speed record, but even then, there will be a time when it will be impossible to improve on; or give exhibition demonstrations at air shows. In that case, I think that the distance would be the limiting factor due to range, and maintainence issues that might arise on the flight.
          I would like to see a race with the "super racers" such as Voodoo, Strega, Precious Metal, Rare Bear, and any others with the ability of that much speed. It would, IMO, make it a bit more interesting.
          I agree, would I like to see Voodoo and Strega go at it again this year? Well yes, but it probably won't ever top last years race so what's the point? The next time I want to see the supers go at it is when it's Voodoo, Strega, and at least one more be that Bear, Furias, PM, etc... I think in the meantime it's in RARA's best interest to find the sponsor(s) to increase prize money and increase Unlimited attendance in ways besides the top dogs, which they've been doing a hell of a job...

For now I think the best gold race will be super stockers very evenly matched... Maybe get Mike on the road to trimming Goldfinger up some more or buying 232? Not saying it's likely, just saying it isn't impossible to gain interest again.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
            As for the owners of Voodoo and Strega wanting big money, that is their choice, but if they don't get what they want, what does one do with a full out race P-51? .......
            This definitely works. For example the Sport class is competitive from gold all the way to medallion. The more racers you have, the tighter the competition. And in the end watching to RV-8's battle it out every single lap can be intensely fun. Similarly Biplane silver is usually the best race in that category even if Phantom is in the gold lapping the whole field.
            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              I agree, would I like to see Voodoo and Strega go at it again this year? Well yes, but it probably won't ever top last years race so what's the point? The next time I want to see the supers go at it is when it's Voodoo, Strega, and at least one more be that Bear, Furias, PM, etc... I think in the meantime it's in RARA's best interest to find the sponsor(s) to increase prize money and increase Unlimited attendance in ways besides the top dogs, which they've been doing a hell of a job...

For now I think the best gold race will be super stockers very evenly matched... Maybe get Mike on the road to trimming Goldfinger up some more or buying 232? Not saying it's likely, just saying it isn't impossible to gain interest again.
              I haven't seen a word said in this thread about the possibility of a good race between Miss America and Dreadnaught. Unless Miss America has really gone all out on the speed mods shouldn't they be about equal in race speeds? Then, if maybe Sawbones was able to ramp it up a bit (remember Howard Pardue and Riff Raff were both bumping up against 440 mph in their day)--that could make for some very interesting racing without the top guys and also some extremely fun sounds!!!! This seems to be a bit closer to reality for this coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by dec View Post
                I haven't seen a word said in this thread about the possibility of a good race between Miss America and Dreadnaught. Unless Miss America has really gone all out on the speed mods shouldn't they be about equal in race speeds? Then, if maybe Sawbones was able to ramp it up a bit (remember Howard Pardue and Riff Raff were both bumping up against 440 mph in their day)--that could make for some very interesting racing without the top guys and also some extremely fun sounds!!!! This seems to be a bit closer to reality for this coming year.
                I agree, what I meant by "super stockers" is those that aren't stock that run behind the top gold racers. Dreadnought, Sawbones, Miss America, potentially Goldfinger, and maybe even Lylia and Full Noise (depending on what happens). Now this could be a pretty good Gold race. Woelbing might even be tempted to bring Miss Merced if the possibility of winning gold is nothing over 450mph laps... Awesome sounds, tight racing, I'm all for it!!!

And on top of that I think the motivation to "try harder" will be there for all the competitors. Dreadnought can run faster than it has the past few years, we know that. There just hasn't been the need to since third has been somewhat guaranteed...
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I agree, what I meant by "super stockers" is those that aren't stock that run behind the top gold racers. Dreadnought, Sawbones, Miss America, potentially Goldfinger, and maybe even Lylia and Full Noise (depending on what happens). Now this could be a pretty good Gold race. Woelbing might even be tempted to bring Miss Merced if the possibility of winning gold is nothing over 450mph laps... Awesome sounds, tight racing, I'm all for it!!!

And on top of that I think the motivation to "try harder" will be there for all the competitors. Dreadnought can run faster than it has the past few years, we know that. There just hasn't been the need to since third has been somewhat guaranteed...
                  I spoke with Dusty a couple weeks ago and it sounds like Lylia is out. He's still trying to pay off Shanty Irish, and it sounds like the engine on the Yak could use some attention.

As for the super stock racers, I think Sawbones is pretty well tapped out since the owner doesn't want to do any more speed mods, and doesn't want to have to rebuild the engine (so they run it at normal power settings.) Dreadnought is going to need the big tail to go fast, but I gather that they aren't all that excited to put it back on for some reason. (It was damaged in the unfortunate accident that caused another aircraft to crash with a loss of life a couple years ago.) Goldfinger is a total wild card, although I hear Mike Brown was spending quite a bit of time at Ione lately. As much as I would love to see Full Noise in the mix, I really don't see it happening without a ton of mods. Sure, they might make the Gold, I still think they are going to be in the mid-high 300s. If Miss A shows up with a hot engine and some bolt on mods, I'll bet on Miss A for the win. (They could also blow the induction trunk off like RR3 did in 2009 and be done.) I have to say, I think Reno will be exciting as ever, with a few old faces who haven't been seen in a long time, and perhaps some new ones. The racing will be perhaps better than ever even though its not at 500 mph.

Will

Comment

Jets will still be there. 500mph racing will still happen.
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Honestly, if most of the planes everyone has mentioned in this thread show up, I won't miss Strega or Voodoo. And, whenever PM makes it back, another Gold contender.

Thom is still planning on bringing Precious Metal back once they rebuild her, right?

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                        Honestly, if most of the planes everyone has mentioned in this thread show up, I won't miss Strega or Voodoo. And, whenever PM makes it back, another Gold contender.

Thom is still planning on bringing Precious Metal back once they rebuild her, right?
                        Every time someone asks him he says yes it's just a slow process
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I thought Destifini, right after last years win, said that Strega would definitely be back next year (2018). Sounds good about the other airplanes showing up, I'm all for that, and hope they do. Like someone else said there's the Jets for the 500 mph laps, Sport Class for 400 mph class. and always GREAT, tight racing from the T-6's, Biplanes, and F-1's. Can't wait for Sept.

Comment

Every time someone asks him he says yes it's just a slow process

Wait for it....

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Say, what's the latest news on "Wildfire"?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              I thought Destifini, right after last years win, said that Strega would definitely be back next year (2018). Sounds good about the other airplanes showing up, I'm all for that, and hope they do. Like someone else said there's the Jets for the 500 mph laps, Sport Class for 400 mph class. and always GREAT, tight racing from the T-6's, Biplanes, and F-1's. Can't wait for Sept.
                              It sounded like Tiger wants to bring Strega back if there is competition. We spoke to Jay at Chino and he was hesitant at best about them going. I think it would be awesome if Strega shows with a 'stock' engine to see how it competes against Miss A and Goldie. Save them the money to rebuild a full race engine and they might even break even if they win...

And N22252, the latest is still that magazine article about Mojave that stated their intentions to bring the plane this year. Their communication is awful and I don't really know anybody working on the project that I want to reach out to. Matt used to chime in here and there, but...

*side note, loving this thread, a lot of different posters on here all with something to say, not me and Dawg having a conversation LOL
                              Last edited by GRNDP51; 05-22-2018, 02:45 PM.
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I thought the races were dying or dead?
                                The gold has become a show of 2 fast planes working around the slower planes until one of them cannot keep up the pace. As exciting as last year was, I would still like to see several racers out front in the gold battling it out. I don't care if it is at 500 mph or 350.
                                Looking forward to this year!
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X