2018 Sport Gold Synopsis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Sport Gold Synopsis

Thought I would do this a little earlier this year to liven up the site... Will update this as I find out more and we get closer. Hope you enjoy!

This time I'm going to only include the planes I 'think' have the capability of winning or finishing in top 3. It will be a little different than last years because some fast planes will undoubtedly be left out, they just don't have the chance to win. Some of these are copy/pasted from last years report with some word changes for simplicity.

A full and unbiased report of all the Sport Gold hot-shots for Reno 2018!

(By Race #)...

#8 (N5S) ~Lancair Legacy~ "Race 8": David Sterling's Super Legacy is just about as close as you can get to Dreadnought or Czech Mate in the Unlimited field. Race 8 shows up, puts down impressive speeds, but can't secure the first place trophy. Race 8 has had her share of podium finishes, and also her share of mayday's. David is always ready to take the Gold away from anyone who mayday's, and secured another 3rd place in 2017 with this same strategy. We shall see if Race 8 has any more race preparations done for 2018, but for now expect similar speeds out of this gorgeous Super Legacy.

#24 (N430R) ~Glasair III~ "Race 24": I know nothing about this plane other than it was at PRS and it looks FAST. It's a Glasair III running a twin-turbo setup.

#28 (N105PZ) ~Lancair Legacy~ "Coming In Hot": There are some rumors floating around that Pete Zaccagnino may finally have a Super Legacy capable of winning the Gold. Some of his team members have stated that they are hoping Pete will win both the Jet & Sport gold so this would hold true.

#30: (N115YP) ~Lancair Legacy~ "One Moment": This is where it starts to get interesting!!! One Moment has already had plenty of mods done to her up to this point since Reno 2017. The flap hinges have been cleaned up (more-so removed), the whole underside of the plane has been re-smoothed and re-painted, the new engine has arrived... etc.! I doubt this is the end of mods that will happen as well. I spoke with Andy after the race last year and he said the mayday was unnecessary and precautionary and he was ready to win that race. With an even more refined airframe will Andy be able to finally put One Moment in the top spot?

#39 (N123AJ) ~Glasair III~ "Race 39": No need for an introduction. Year after year, Jeff LaVelle's Super Glasair III is the plane to beat. Look for 400+ speeds as always, and a guaranteed podium finish if it holds up until Sunday.

#47: (N477CM) ~Glasair III~ "Mojo": Mojo could be a sweet surprise in the Gold field this year. Bob Mills has kept 47's competitive spirit that 'Lucky Mojo' passed on, and some mods have been done to further prepare the Glasair for 2018. A new panel will make 47 lighter and hopefully even more simple to navigate around the pylons. Mills could have some other tricks up his sleeve, but will they be enough to catch Jeff?

#181: (N181KG) ~Lancair Legacy~ "GA1": This is the Super Legacy I am looking forward to the most! Reno 2018 was looking dim as Karl needed to attend PRS and PRS was unlikely. Well as we all know PRS is going to happen and Karl has his intentions to attend! This plane was built ground up to win at Reno. This is the first Super Legacy I know of that has been built from scratch to be a Reno racer and has also implemented a handful of new ideas (engine, prop, ADI system)... It will be fast if all the bugs are worked out. Race #181 SHOULD be faster than any other Super Legacy out there. I AM EXCITED!!! Karl did take her to PRS and was happy with how she performed!

That leaves us with 4 Super Legacys & 3 Super Glasair IIIs!!! This WILL be the year of competition. I promise it. I hope all make it to Stead and stay hungry until Sunday. As already said, I will update this as more information comes available.
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-10-2018, 04:47 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: 2018 Sport Gold Synopsis

Awesome synopsis! Thank you for sharing all of the information!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot for this list of information

Any news about #33 and #44?
      #44 is listed for sale on barnstormers but I don´t know how serious this is. Sometimes you see race planes for sale for a very long time.

Regards Franz

Comment

Work on #30 continues daily. Pictures of the new induction system shared on the fb page. Last year's induction mod cut roughly half the length and bend angles between the turbos and the intake. This year we cut it(literally) in half again.

As for #33, Stevo took it up last year and the engine blew while still in the pattern. #44 was found to have the same issue.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Updates in BOLD!
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Another Sport gold racer in the works is Race #3, Sean Vanhattan's Super Glassair project/restoration. Havoc Air Racing is the name of the facebook page. At this point I guess it won't make Reno though (I saw somewhere that applications were due).

Edit:
            47 has a new glass panel with an undisclosed amount of weight saved.

It's also official that 30 is doing away with the wrap and getting painted with a new scheme. I expect the wrap and paint to be similar in weight (both sides claim to be lighter so someone's not being completely truthful), but we weren't able to wax the wrap. And last year was the 3rd year of the same wrap, and with all the holes and rough patches the wrap was contributing a good bit of drag. So the paint should be a net gain.
            Last edited by CubersWrist; 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM.
            "young" Thomas

Comment

Race 42 didn't submit paper work for racing. Race 33 is still without an engine.
              Last edited by georgiacub; 06-20-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

This just in... From Kevin "39 will once again rain supreme, Relentless is standing down to finish her complete rebuild. Enjoy Jeff, 2019 will be little different."

So, no Relentless this year.

Will

Comment

Updated as I've been fortunate to have a glimpse at some entries. Everyone on this list should be participating. This should also be the Gold unless there are any surprises. No N#'s or owner names listed with the entries so it's a guessing game for now.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Bob Mills’ fb update on Race #151 Class Thunder.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	F393A178-4419-44DF-AF01-19C68D1645CF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	228816
                    "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                      Bob Mills’ fb update on Race #151 Class Thunder.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23444[/ATTACH]
                      Wanted to post that yesterday but still incapable of posting pictures on here. It looks incredible. Wonder what speeds they’re looking at
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So most of what I know about propellers is that it's complicated.
                        The main goal is to keep the tip speed below .9 Mach otherwise you start having a drastic increase in drag from the tips going trans-supersonic. This is why Race#30's propeller is so short. This is also why the Texans are so loud and kinda stuck where they are. Adding more power doesn't necessarily make them go faster, could actually hurt.

In tems of efficiency, a single blade is actually the "best". Because you don't have blades going through each other's wake and stuff. This is impractical in most cases because you have to counter weight the single blade and you can only do that for a specific RPM and pitch.

So if you start with two blades and you have some leftover power from the engine, you can try more blades because each blade adds mass and inertia that a weaker engine wouldn't be able to handle. ie Griffon spitfire turns a 5 blade while a Merlin Spitfire turns a 4 blade

Another part of propeller sizing is ground clearance. This isn't an issue it seams on the Thunder Mustang, but for the Stuka's, Corsairs, Czech Mate, Rare Bear and is a big part of the propeller design. The stuka and corsair have the inverted gull wings specifically so they could get a bigger prop with shorter and lighter gear. When the corsairs went to 4 blades rather than 3, the inverted gull wing became shallower because they were able to shrink the prop size down. Rare Bear and Czech mate have so much engine available that they are using as much blade as they can to the point where they have to 3-point the landings. An alternative for both airplanes would be to add more blades.

So having said all of that, I have no idea what to expect. Depends on engine power/rpm, gearbox rpm, and prop tip speeds (which is also dependent on airplane speed). Easier to just wait until race week to find out.
                        "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                          So most of what I know about propellers is that it's complicated.
                          The main goal is to keep the tip speed below .9 Mach otherwise you start having a drastic increase in drag from the tips going trans-supersonic. This is why Race#30's propeller is so short. This is also why the Texans are so loud and kinda stuck where they are. Adding more power doesn't necessarily make them go faster, could actually hurt.

In tems of efficiency, a single blade is actually the "best". Because you don't have blades going through each other's wake and stuff. This is impractical in most cases because you have to counter weight the single blade and you can only do that for a specific RPM and pitch.

So if you start with two blades and you have some leftover power from the engine, you can try more blades because each blade adds mass and inertia that a weaker engine wouldn't be able to handle. ie Griffon spitfire turns a 5 blade while a Merlin Spitfire turns a 4 blade

Another part of propeller sizing is ground clearance. This isn't an issue it seams on the Thunder Mustang, but for the Stuka's, Corsairs, Czech Mate, Rare Bear and is a big part of the propeller design. The stuka and corsair have the inverted gull wings specifically so they could get a bigger prop with shorter and lighter gear. When the corsairs went to 4 blades rather than 3, the inverted gull wing became shallower because they were able to shrink the prop size down. Rare Bear and Czech mate have so much engine available that they are using as much blade as they can to the point where they have to 3-point the landings. An alternative for both airplanes would be to add more blades.

So having said all of that, I have no idea what to expect. Depends on engine power/rpm, gearbox rpm, and prop tip speeds (which is also dependent on airplane speed). Easier to just wait until race week to find out.
                          It’s interesting that Blue 2 and Swiss Thunder run 3 blades which seem to have proven themselves, but Clas adds a blade. My initial instinct is that they tuned the engine to make more power but I highly doubt they would’ve tuned it enough to go from the ability to run on a 3 blade to ‘needing’ 5 blades to harness the power. It could just be experimental, could just look and hopefully sound cool but not make it any faster. Either way it’s very innovative and I love it
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            It’s interesting that Blue 2 and Swiss Thunder run 3 blades which seem to have proven themselves, but Clas adds a blade. My initial instinct is that they tuned the engine to make more power but I highly doubt they would’ve tuned it enough to go from the ability to run on a 3 blade to ‘needing’ 5 blades to harness the power. It could just be experimental, could just look and hopefully sound cool but not make it any faster. Either way it’s very innovative and I love it
                            The IF-1 Knotty Girl uses a 3 blade prop with an 0-200. she is much faster on the start and top end is a bit faster as well. Same HP as when she ran the two blade. Cato Props are the best!
                            Last edited by Bob; 08-05-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                              John Parker once told me the reason they ran the three blade on BT, it had to do with the four blade "coneng" The 4 blade was flexing under high power and I believe the prop mfg designed them a special prop... I've got a hat somewhere from the prop maker that John gave me way back when..
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X