New Concept Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Concept Racer

I tried posting this a couple days ago and LED informed me that parentheses in the thread title were breaking the thread. (Thank you LED). So anyways, I found this a few days ago and haven't seen anything posted so far. Awesome idea, I think if Unlimited racing ever became a mainstream event the aircraft should be similar to this. Hope it gets out of the concept stage!

Reno from '99 to '22

Re: New Concept Racer

Looks like they took a long look at the Bugatti racer. Interesting concept, but I have a feeling it will need far more rudder.

Will

Comment

How's that for limited visibility! Gonna have to fly that one by looking at a tv screen with OmniVision cameras or a periscope like Lindbergh in the spirit of St. Louis.
      would make a great r/c bird, though.

Comment

The main landing gear geometry sure resembles a Bearcat!

Comment

Reno had one watch company as a sponsor for several years.........perhaps there's another in the future. Glad to see any company that has an interest in Air Racing. If Bell & Ross and Stihl became co sponsors. Bell & Ross could say "They're watches take a licking but "Stihl" keep ticking"

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            Reno had one watch company as a sponsor for several years.........perhaps there's another in the future. Glad to see any company that has an interest in Air Racing. If Bell & Ross and Stihl became co sponsors. Bell & Ross could say "They're watches take a licking but "Stihl" keep ticking"
            Groan.

It certainly looks the part of a racer. It also looks like it needs more rudder and more cooling. It is exceptionally pretty though.

I thought MVMT was coming in for some sponsorship. If we could get Brightling back it could be the start of Watch Wars.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

If they build it, I’m buying a watch for sure. Might win the award for most limited visibility of any race plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                Groan.

It certainly looks the part of a racer. It also looks like it needs more rudder and more cooling. It is exceptionally pretty though.

I thought MVMT was coming in for some sponsorship. If we could get Brightling back it could be the start of Watch Wars.
                I haven’t heard anything about MVMT, that would be awesome since their audience is a younger crowd. I’m pretty sure the co-sponsor and watch sponsor this year is De Motu? At least that’s what Scott Farnsworth had in mind...
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by JetsareforKids View Post
                  If they build it, I’m buying a watch for sure. Might win the award for most limited visibility of any race plane.
                  It's not great but the Super Solution and Caudron 561 also had bad visibility. The Anequim dealt with visibility by making the whole area forward of the cockpit transparent.

Rudder might be on the small side, but I haven't seen any numbers so impossible to say. But even if the vertical surface area was found to be lacking that would be determined pretty easily during the more detailed design and testing. And adding vertical area isn't the hardest thing to do.

Great to see a new racer at least on the drawing board.
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Looking at the their promo video it shows it flying through a pair of the Red Bull racing type pylons???

Should have shown it with a Reno air racing pylon "stand on it and turn left"

This may only be a marketing gimmick to sell a watch?
                    Last edited by Desertdawg; 04-12-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      Looks like they took a long look at the Bugatti racer. Interesting concept, but I have a feeling it will need far more rudder.Will
                      Noticed myself. However wonder if the Vee of the horizontal stab acts like the V tail or stabilator(?)of a Beech Bonanza in concert with the vertical surfaces? There must be a master modeler on here that could build an RC model and test this as I'm sure some are thinking of doing anyway?
                      Last edited by GeeBeeZ1931; 05-01-2018, 06:21 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                        Noticed myself. However wonder if the Vee of the horizontal stab acts like the V tail or stabilator(?)of a Beech Bonanza in concert with the vertical surfaces? There must be a master modeler on here that could build an RC model and test this as I'm sure some are thinking of doing anyway?
                        The dihedral of the tail would help get it up out of the prop wash (less drag).

Comment

From what I've heard, Carl Friend had a plan to put a V-tail on the Rare Bear. It obviously never happened, but it would've been an interesting experiment.

Comment

The midget Deerfly had a V-tail for a while. I have read that it made it unstable in pylon turns and eventually was a factor in it's crash.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                            X