• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Race E Announced

Not April fools

Format is like Formula One but electric

Powerplant has not yet been selected

Projected inaugural season is 2020

I suspect it will be similar to the Electroflight racer.
    Next-generation battery systems & battery system management for Electric Aerospace. Evolito's Power & Energy Dense Battery Solutions
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Re: Air Race E Announced

Cool. There’s some really cool stuff in this format. The simplicity of the motors is really appealing. RARA should be jumping in on this.

The thing I really like was the safety plans-

The carbon composite airframe is fitted with a whole aircraft ballistic parachute system and incorporates a separate pilot safety cell, similar to that in F1 racing cars.

Obviously this doesn’t mean the elimination of the possibility of death but, it’s a start.
    Last edited by Fence Sence; 04-04-2018, 09:28 AM.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about electric anything racing. Seriously, I'd rather watch sailplane racing. Part of the allure to racing anything is the sound of the engine. Sorry, the sound of an electric engine doesn't do anything for me.

Will

Comment

The props themselves make a lot of noise (look up the 22% electric Precious Metal models as an example). So long as the racing is close and competitive I'm game. Sounds like this could be getting some corporate backing too.
        Last edited by CubersWrist; 04-05-2018, 11:53 AM.
        "young" Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about electric anything racing. Seriously, I'd rather watch sailplane racing. Part of the allure to racing anything is the sound of the engine. Sorry, the sound of an electric engine doesn't do anything for me.

Will
          I agree... to a point. I used to think the air races weren't fun without the noise. I enjoy the sound of high performance piston engines as much as the next guy, as do my children (teenagers now). Planes going by one, then the other, then another seconds apart isn't a race, it's a parade, no matter how loud it is. I've seen that plenty of times. Very meh.

I didn't think the jet class would be successful early on because they weren't loud, but that class has demonstrated to be quite competitive with some exciting racing action. All without afterburners...

I have no idea what an electric airplane sounds like but if the racing is competitive, I will enjoy watching them race. Maybe they can put some of those Stuka sirens on the planes to make some noise...

The bottom line is this, electric is coming. Apparently, it's already here. Maybe just not at the National Championship Airraces... But, I could be wrong.

John

Comment

Noise is not the end all be all of racing for me. I enjoy the competition aspect more than anything. I enjoy watching just about any form of racing. Not much noise in ski racing. Not much noise in horse racing. America’s Cup? Pretty damn quiet. I still like to watch. If the world ran out of fossil fuel today, where would motorsports be? To dismiss the future because of a lack of noise is foolish IMO. Not that I don’t love screaming machines. I just love racing as a whole more than the potential noise it makes.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Electrics make noise because of the propeller. It's just a different noise.
              Finally got someone to do some video of my new electric racer.Probably does at least 60mph.Its an Extreme Composites Mustang. Motor Medusa 36-60 2000 Kv with...
              "young" Thomas

Comment

I am all for electric racing. It will be great, you'll love it! It will never replace piston powered planes for the cool factor, but would make another neat class to watch.

Comment

Hopefully they will keep the rules as open as possible so that we can see the development of a class that will eventually compete with the unlimiteds.
                  There is no reason for electric aircraft to be slow and with several thousand horsepower going through one or more props. the noise will be there.
                  The compact nature of electric motors will allow efficient air frames that may provide a different look to other racing classes.
                  Keep the races to just a couple of laps of the full course initially to keep the battery cost low, while still giving fast lap times (to compare with other classes).
                  It will be fun to watch this class develop over the coming years with advances in batteries and motors. Electric dragsters use liquid nitrogen for cooling which will be impressive as it leaves trails behind the aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                    Not April fools

Format is like Formula One but electric

Powerplant has not yet been selected

Projected inaugural season is 2020

I suspect it will be similar to the Electroflight racer.
                    https://www.electro-flight.com/
                    Cool Idea. Maybe we can get rid of the stinking jets and breathe some fresh air for a change with these!

Comment

Originally posted by Colbourne View Post
                      Hopefully they will keep the rules as open as possible so that we can see the development of a class that will eventually compete with the unlimiteds.
                      There is no reason for electric aircraft to be slow and with several thousand horsepower going through one or more props. the noise will be there.
                      The compact nature of electric motors will allow efficient air frames that may provide a different look to other racing classes.
                      Keep the races to just a couple of laps of the full course initially to keep the battery cost low, while still giving fast lap times (to compare with other classes).
                      It will be fun to watch this class develop over the coming years with advances in batteries and motors. Electric dragsters use liquid nitrogen for cooling which will be impressive as it leaves trails behind the aircraft.
                      Don't forget the weight of batteries that'd be needed for an Unlimited sized plane to go that fast.

Comment

Don't forget the weight of batteries that'd be needed for an Unlimited sized plane to go that fast.
                        Fuel, adf and oil weigh a bit as well. And I believe they will take baby steps with this technology and start with smaller than unlimited birds like F1 sized aircraft.
                        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Working...
                        X