-Off Topic- Pictures of the lexington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Off Topic- Pictures of the lexington

I was looking over the pictures of the sunken carrier Lexington. The Wildcat has 4 battle flag kill markings, a ship bombed kill marking, a Felix the bombcat sticker, and what looks like an unfortunate sailor under the right rear wing root.
    Wow.

Re: -Off Topic- Pictures of the lexington

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
    I was looking over the pictures of the sunken carrier Lexington. The Wildcat has 4 battle flag kill markings, a ship bombed kill marking, a Felix the bombcat sticker, and what looks like an unfortunate sailor under the right rear wing root.
    Wow.
    I agree, really well preserved. Hope Paul Allen shares more of this discovery.

RIP in who all went down with Lady Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
      I agree, really well preserved. Hope Paul Allen shares more of this discovery.

RIP in who all went down with Lady Lex.

The Lexington was scuttled by one of our destroyers. No one went down with it. Its not a war grave. Yes there were people killed in the action that crippled her, but the ship was evacuated when she was scuttled.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        The Lexington was scuttled by one of our destroyers. No one went down with it. Its not a war grave. Yes there were people killed in the action that crippled her, but the ship was evacuated when she was scuttled.

Will
        Well if that is the case, sure would be nice to figure out a way to retrieve some of those planes and other significant artifacts for the Smithsonian?

Preserve them for future generations before mother nature claims them.

Just thinking out of the box.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 03-09-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
          I've done several web searches and keep coming up with 216 sailors died during the attack and went down with her when she was scuttled. So if that is the case she is a war grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            I've done several web searches and keep coming up with 216 sailors died during the attack and went down with her when she was scuttled. So if that is the case she is a war grave.

Pretty sure Lex is most certainly a war grave but the planes have been declared not to be so
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

She had better be a war grave. If not, DoD needs to rethink their definition of one.
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I'm fairly certain the article I read stated it is a war grave, and there is no prospect of recovering planes. Shame, seeing those Devastators in such good shape, but understandable.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Back in the 1970's my high school shop teacher was a survivor of the USS Yorktown. He said one thing that he always remembered was all the sailors shoes laying along the edge of the deck where they removed them and set them there just before jumping off into the water.
                  He said they went over the high side as the ship was listing, because they were afraid it would capsize over on top of them or suck them under if they slid off the low side.

The Lexington was under direct fire for seven minutes and they tried to save her for six hours.
                  She went down with her all of her dead still aboard, from what I've read.

Comment

Working...
                  X