Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 K behind the scenes perspective of an attemp to break the piston engine record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 K behind the scenes perspective of an attemp to break the piston engine record

I just got my copy of the number 76 Warbirds Digest and there is one of the best articles I have ever seen on the 3 K record attempt. They even go into detail of a minute but minute communications as they occurred during the flight.

Most people didn’t even know that the motor was toast prior to entering the fourth and final pass of the record attempt.
    He had a huge drop in oil pressure that returned to normal just prior to the last pass. With the engine now making good power with manifold pressure at 120 inches with 3450 rpm Hinton lines up for the final pass. After finishing the final pass and thinking the motor was ready at any time to self destruct he for goes the normal cool down and just gets the airplane on the ground as soon as possible. Hinton even made the comment “this thing is pissed” and with plenty of oil down the side of the airplane he lands the racer.

Thanks to Ben Marsh for this great article and for Warbirds Digest for printing it!

Re: 3 K behind the scenes perspective of an attemp to break the piston engine record

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
    I just got my copy of the number 76 Warbirds Digest and there is one of the best articles I have ever seen on the 3 K record attempt. They even go into detail of a minute but minute communications as they occurred during the flight.

Most people didn’t even know that the motor was toast prior to entering the fourth and final pass of the record attempt.
    He had a huge drop in oil pressure that returned to normal just prior to the last pass. With the engine now making good power with manifold pressure at 120 inches with 3450 rpm Hinton lines up for the final pass. After finishing the final pass and thinking the motor was ready at any time to self destruct he for goes the normal cool down and just gets the airplane on the ground as soon as possible. Hinton even made the comment “this thing is pissed” and with plenty of oil down the side of the airplane he lands the racer.

Thanks to Ben Marsh for this great article and for Warbirds Digest for printing it!
    Is this Voodoo you're talking about?

Comment

Re: 3 K behind the scenes perspective of an attemp to break the piston engine record

Originally posted by grampi View Post
      Is this Voodoo you're talking about?
      Yes it is about Voodoo

Comment

Working...
      X