Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hunting for microknots

Default Re: Hunting for microknots

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/08...st-motorsport/

Nice interview with ars Technica.

New prop is on, and working to get some flight testing in with all the systems working at race power. 9 days till plane leaves...
    Really looking forward to seeing you guys run. Hopefully I can catch up with you in the pits and thank you in person for keeping us updated on your program. I, well probably all of us, really appreciate you posting up all kickass **** you got going on yer hot rod. Go get Ďem!
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    I bet you are hearing "are we there yet"
    You kidding? I'm thinking what I would give to have one more week. Been working year round on this thing the last 2-3 years and there's still never enough time.

I tend to wander quite a bit (well depends on how much we have to do) so I can watch all the other classes, but I shouldn't be that hard to find. Come by the pit and ask for "younger" Thomas. See you there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3TDB3DyfYgf6YDN6A
    "young" Thomas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9727.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	23617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9728.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	614.6 KB 
ID:	23618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9731.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	23619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9732.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	628.4 KB 
ID:	23620
    Augmenters MK2.5 are done. Not sure if we will get a measurable performance bump out of them, but all the research says it can't hurt, and they look even cooler than before.
    And finally a sneak peak at our secret weapon.

Always kind of a surreal experience, when the speed mod season ends and we actually get to go race. But the plane is the best it has ever been so we're all excited to see what it will do. Plane should be in Reno in the next two days.
    "young" Thomas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A214940-DFE2-49C8-8907-19E78FBA70B3.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	23720
    Well itís flown several times this way so I guess the secret is out.
    We spent 8 months designing some faster wingtips. Cut 1 foot off each wing because when we did the math we. Found we didnít need it. Predicting 5 more mph from the reduced drag. Come visit us in the pits to check it out.
    "young" Thomas

Write up on the wingtips has been published.
    http://teamonemoment.com/2018/10/clipped-wingtip-mod/
    "young" Thomas

Thanks for writing this highly interesting article. I love reading technical stuff like this

Thank you. I enjoyed writing it and sharing some of what we do in sport class.

We gained over 30mph this year, but according to the math, the wingtips are responsible for only 5 of them. The rest comes from body work, paint (and no wrap), propeller design, horsepower, improved cooling, and dozens of other little things.
    "young" Thomas

So what are the planned mods for this off season?

Oh there's a list....
    But they aren't as flashy as cutting the wingtips off or getting a new paintscheme.
    Item 1 is automate the ADI and spray bar systems. If you watch the in-cockpit views you see him flipping switches throughout the race to turn different pumps on and off. That needs to end.
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Oh there's a list....
    But they aren't as flashy as cutting the wingtips off or getting a new paintscheme.
    Item 1 is automate the ADI and spray bar systems. If you watch the in-cockpit views you see him flipping switches throughout the race to turn different pumps on and off. That needs to end.
    Automating stuff like that can get you in trouble too. I do agree it is still better than a full manual system though.