We don't need no stinking Merlins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't need no stinking Merlins!

Imma gonna pop one of these bad boys into Dago Red when the lottery check arrives.

'71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Re: We don't need no stinking Merlins!

Put it in a Thunder Mustang. Still, the prop reduction will need to be crazy to keep the prop tips below super sonic. Also, how long its it going to last at those power settings? Don't get me wrong, its a cool project, but something tells me that its totally wrong for an aircraft application.

Hell, with something that exotic, put it in a Nemesis. You gotta have a plane that looks equally exotic to match the engine. Seriously, how cool would it be to see 8 exhaust stacks per side? Still, you gotta make it survive running at peak power for the entire span of the week. That might be a tall order.

Will

Comment

My first thought was to buy Relentless...the sexiest airplane in the sky. But really this thing claims to make 5k HP at redline 6900 RPM. Even de-tuned to 2.5k HP for reliability (cough) in a Thunder Mustang or tucked under the hood of a beefed up Relentless....would walk-the-walk. Maybe it would be too heavy for existing Sport class designs?

Anyone know what the RPM of the Pond Racer's Nissan engines were at race settings? I wonder what it's prop tip speed was?
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

"Easy" to make 5k HP for a few seconds. Very different story to make it for 10 minutes at a time. A lot of it will come down to how much thermal load it could handle and for how long.

Comment

I get the whole car vs airplane engine thing and the difference of load. I dream of the day though that somebody like this gets involved in putting some of the newer power plants on the front of something like Nemisis. The reliability and longevity that they are getting out of turbo motors is amazing. The turbo also allows for some creative packaging vs. a supercharger. What would Nemesis do with 1200-1500 hp on the front of it?

This is another of his creations, check out the Dyno numbers at low rpm and boost

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
            I get the whole car vs airplane engine thing and the difference of load. I dream of the day though that somebody like this gets involved in putting some of the newer power plants on the front of something like Nemisis. The reliability and longevity that they are getting out of turbo motors is amazing. The turbo also allows for some creative packaging vs. a supercharger. What would Nemesis do with 1200-1500 hp on the front of it?

This is another of his creations, check out the Dyno numbers at low rpm and boost
            https://youtu.be/NRI17Gt2wI4
            Probably not much faster than it went before. You are adding a lot of weight, complexity, and possibly drag when you bolt a boat anchor on the front of an arrow.

Comment

Working...
            X