No announcement yet.

R-3350 racers with a slow nose case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R-3350 racers with a slow nose case?

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
    Remind me. Which racers used the R-3350 EA-2 slow nose gear reduction case?

Rare Bear
    September Fury
    Critical Mass
    Riff Raff

Were there any others? Cornell's racer was going to have one but that went to Sept Fury. I'm pretty sure Mr. Awesome does not have one.

Thanks,
    Did Blind Mans Bluff run the slow nose case or was that mod done by the Dwelle's?
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
      Did Blind Mans Bluff run the slow nose case or was that mod done by the Dwelle's?
      The slow nose case was an engine light hat the Dwelles built up with the help of Larry Klassen I believe. They went through it after the gear collapse on the ramp and found a few things in it. After that, Tom said I ran the best and was super smoothe. That engine went to the Bear team and was subsequently destroyed when run without adi

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
        As far as Race 88 goes, I think that they were not in it long enough to get to a slow nose case. They were making 4,500 HP on methanol on the Dyno, so the power was there but they needed some more years to get things working properly. Imagine that you were in the standard push (flail) to get a racer to Reno, but this is your first year air racing and as it turns out, your only year. Would have been interesting to see how things worked out on years 3 and 4.
        TJ

Comment

The thinking at the time (rumor) was that they had trouble with equal fuel distribution to the cylinders. I also remember a fire truck standing by every time they started up.

Comment

Working...
          X