Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R-3350 racers with a slow nose case?

Default R-3350 racers with a slow nose case?

Remind me. Which racers used the R-3350 EA-2 slow nose gear reduction case?

Rare Bear
    September Fury
    Critical Mass
    Riff Raff

Were there any others? Cornell's racer was going to have one but that went to Sept Fury. I'm pretty sure Mr. Awesome does not have one.

Thanks,

Default Re: R-3350 racers with a slow nose case?

Riff Raff never used the slow speed nose case we got from Matt Jackson in the early 2000s. We ran a stock motor every year we raced. Owner Mike Keenum never pulled the trigger on building a race engine and eventually traded the case to Jeff Abbott for some engine work. Not sure what Jeff did with it from there. My guess is its in the Rare Bear inventory now.
    Ray

Thank you for the info and corrections!

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaffRay View Post
    Riff Raff never used the slow speed nose case we got from Matt Jackson in the early 2000s. We ran a stock motor every year we raced. Owner Mike Keenum never pulled the trigger on building a race engine and eventually traded the case to Jeff Abbott for some engine work. Not sure what Jeff did with it from there. My guess is its in the Rare Bear inventory now.
    Ray

I believe Stew Dawson had one. Don't know if Rod ended up with it or not. Jeff Abbott used to be his engine man, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    I believe Stew Dawson had one. Don't know if Rod ended up with it or not. Jeff Abbott used to be his engine man, I believe.
    Any chance that the Neptune fire ers that have just been retired had a slow nosecase? Or was that just in a certain model of the Constellations?

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    Any chance that the Neptune fire ers that have just been retired had a slow nosecase? Or was that just in a certain model of the Constellations?
    I always heard that 16 aircraft (Super Connies?) were built with the slow-turning nosecases to fly over the polar icecap. I don't know of any others. I think most military aircraft had a spare set of engines as part of the contract, but not sure how many of these were ever produced.

As far as I know, the slow nose case was used in the R-3350-988TC18EA-2 engine. Only 283 of these engines were built. The only application for these engines were the 44 L-1649 Starliners. The EA-2 has a .355 reduction, and other TC engines had a .4375 reduction.

B-29 and B-32 engines did have a .35 reduction, but these were the early engines (A and B) that had some issues. Late/post war engines were the C-series, and almost all had a .4375 reduction. The nose cases are not interchangeable between A/B and later engines. Fifi had its engines switched over to the later C engines in 2010, and Doc also uses C engines. Well, both B-29s use components of various C-series engines to make their own hybrid engine. The TC engines are D and E series.

I believe Rod owns all of the complete slow nose cases with the exception of the ones that Lufthansa has for their Super Connie restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    I believe Rod owns all of the complete slow nose cases with the exception of the ones that Lufthansa has for their Super Connie restoration.
    And some of those (Rod's) are not very cherry
    Last edited by toldjaso; 11-01-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Where did the ones from the other 2 surviving Super Connie's go?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17