Thoughts on air racing sponsorships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on air racing sponsorships

Just sitting here on a Saturday afternoon watching tractor pulling on NBCsports. Looks like less that three thousand in the seats. I don't think to many people in the TV audience have ever been on a tractor like that much less even driven one.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      For whatever its worth, when I was on the National Air Racing Group board of directors back in the mid-1990's I actually pitched a presentation to the Unlimited Class that they develop an air race 'demo' team to take to ICAS and sell to the airshow industry. It would have actually involved two groups of 4-5 planes--an East Team and a West Team. To be honest, there was very little interest in the concept.

Interesting, though, that a couple years later Oshkosh picked up on the concept, and Nellis did a couple years later too.
      I worked Sun n Fun last year and we Red Bull there putting on a demo race betwen Kirby C and Michael G. It went well but I can't say how much it influenced the crowd to attend a race. Red Bull can be set up as a linear show which is consistent with the showline at a typical air show...Reno not so much though I'm sure the logistics could be worked out...or perhaps that's already been worked out? Don't know. That said, at a minimum I'd think getting a couple UNL's, a couple Sports or F1's etc. to Oshkosh, Sun n Fun, or a few other more regional show even just on static with RARA's participation and using a couple big screens showing the action, running the NBC series (assuming they have lecense to do so), and other marketing pieces may gain an ROI to some degree. Tons of ideas out there...but it again boils down to the chicken and egg. Takes $$$ to make $$$. And over the last several years, RARA hasn't been in a position to make those kinds of expenditures. Things are turning around and with any luck by the turn of decade, those opportunities may once again be a viable option.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
        I worked Sun n Fun last year and we Red Bull there putting on a demo race betwen Kirby C and Michael G. It went well but I can't say how much it influenced the crowd to attend a race. Red Bull can be set up as a linear show which is consistent with the showline at a typical air show...Reno not so much though I'm sure the logistics could be worked out...or perhaps that's already been worked out? Don't know. That said, at a minimum I'd think getting a couple UNL's, a couple Sports or F1's etc. to Oshkosh, Sun n Fun, or a few other more regional show even just on static with RARA's participation and using a couple big screens showing the action, running the NBC series (assuming they have lecense to do so), and other marketing pieces may gain an ROI to some degree. Tons of ideas out there...but it again boils down to the chicken and egg. Takes $$$ to make $$$. And over the last several years, RARA hasn't been in a position to make those kinds of expenditures. Things are turning around and with any luck by the turn of decade, those opportunities may once again be a viable option.
        I've been thinking Reno and the EAA could be a good pairing. While the EAA doesn't really have an interest in racing, most of the planes at Reno fall in the Experimental class, and the Warbirds are warbirds (that EAA does support.) I'd think Oshkosh would be a fantastic realm for RARA to have a booth at minimum, and there are even some racers back there that might be able to be static displays at the very least, or could participate in some mock races if such a thing could be put together. Heck, there are racers from IF1 to Unlimiteds that could make a showing there. What could be better than having a presence at the largest airshow in North America? They should also try and put a booth up at the Chino airshow as well. I'd have to guess a display at Chino could be arranged for very little since the Hinton's are huge supporters of the air races.

Will

Comment

Working...
        X