Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on air racing sponsorships

Default Re: Thoughts on air racing sponsorships

Think about how much visibility Jelly Belly got out of the races.
    They have sponsored (in varying degrees) one of the slowest mustangs for years (Sorry Steve and Brant) along with the Pietsh (sp) shows. I think I have heard the name Jelly Belly as many times as I have heard Section 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thursday-16 012.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	955.2 KB 
ID:	23095  

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Think about how much visibility Jelly Belly got out of the races.
    They have sponsored (in varying degrees) one of the slowest mustangs for years (Sorry Steve and Brant) along with the Pietsh (sp) shows. I think I have heard the name Jelly Belly as many times as I have heard Section 3.
    True. However, Kent does several shows throughout the year. Again, if the average show has 100K guests and he does, say, 10 shows...that's 1M sets of eyes. Far more, with likely a more diverse audiences, than Reno.
    Last edited by Air Judge; 10-18-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Air Judge
    Deputy Chief Pylon Judge
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE LLC
    http://airbossone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Air Judge View Post
    True. However, Kent does several shows throughout the year. Again, if the average show has 100K guests and he does, say, 10 shows...that's 1M sets of eyes. Far more, with likely a more diverse audiences, than Reno.
    There was some interest in taking the Unlimited demo races that were held at Oshkosh and a couple other places to the level of air show act with a series of appearances.. In the day of World of Wings, this sort of thing was exactly what Bob Avery was trying to accomplish, he spent a LOT of his own money trying to figure out a way to get more exposure for the sport, enough to generate enough income to support itself and, obviously a promoter willing to stick his neck out to make the attempt to make it happen.

Spent a lot of time with that organization doing whatever I could to help the effort succeed. One of the biggest problems is, with today's costs to operate a raceable Unlimited it's tough for venues to afford to absorb the costs and make it worth the while of raceplane owners to participate... without sponsorship.

I've probably written 1000's of words on this site pulling hair out about this very subject. It's always felt like it should be a "build it and they will come" thing.. but it's built and they don't come..

Red Bull wanted in but they wanted to take complete ownership of "Air Racing"... instead, they stole some guy's idea about having low level wavered airshow pilots race against the clock around inflatable beverage can/bottle shaped pylons... Thank our creator that RENO kept those bandits out!

If red bull wants to pitch a hissyfit because I said they stole the idea.. I've got the predated non-disclosure agreement and message digests that spelled out the concept.. Guy's name is Sam Bousfield... a TRUE dreamer and innovator who's brilliant ideas have not yet made it to complete fruition... he is onto something pretty damn cool though.. Samson Switchblade flying "car"
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Not to knock the street racing show, but that is the exact kind of show that leaves me scratching my head; If they can get funding, why hasn't someone figured out how to make this work?

It's really too bad that guys like Bob Avery, Jeff Lee, Mitch Carley, Dave DeVos weren't still around with enough moxy to attempt to create a show around air race teams. Market is certainly there on Discovery or some other of its many channels. In the day that Avery put up the bux for Jeff and Mitch to create the initial episode of "World of Wings". It was tougher than crap to get that pilot on the air!

Today, if Discovery was presented with a fully funded production pilot such as WoW was, it'd have been MUCH easier to obtain funding to go forward with production of a series of episodes.. which was what was planned... in the hangar stuff with restoration projects, RACERS..

Would that it were!
    Can't say I didn't try to help!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

For whatever its worth, when I was on the National Air Racing Group board of directors back in the mid-1990's I actually pitched a presentation to the Unlimited Class that they develop an air race 'demo' team to take to ICAS and sell to the airshow industry. It would have actually involved two groups of 4-5 planes--an East Team and a West Team. To be honest, there was very little interest in the concept.

Interesting, though, that a couple years later Oshkosh picked up on the concept, and Nellis did a couple years later too.

Just sitting here on a Saturday afternoon watching tractor pulling on NBCsports. Looks like less that three thousand in the seats. I don't think to many people in the TV audience have ever been on a tractor like that much less even driven one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    For whatever its worth, when I was on the National Air Racing Group board of directors back in the mid-1990's I actually pitched a presentation to the Unlimited Class that they develop an air race 'demo' team to take to ICAS and sell to the airshow industry. It would have actually involved two groups of 4-5 planes--an East Team and a West Team. To be honest, there was very little interest in the concept.

Interesting, though, that a couple years later Oshkosh picked up on the concept, and Nellis did a couple years later too.
    I worked Sun n Fun last year and we Red Bull there putting on a demo race betwen Kirby C and Michael G. It went well but I can't say how much it influenced the crowd to attend a race. Red Bull can be set up as a linear show which is consistent with the showline at a typical air show...Reno not so much though I'm sure the logistics could be worked out...or perhaps that's already been worked out? Don't know. That said, at a minimum I'd think getting a couple UNL's, a couple Sports or F1's etc. to Oshkosh, Sun n Fun, or a few other more regional show even just on static with RARA's participation and using a couple big screens showing the action, running the NBC series (assuming they have lecense to do so), and other marketing pieces may gain an ROI to some degree. Tons of ideas out there...but it again boils down to the chicken and egg. Takes $$$ to make $$$. And over the last several years, RARA hasn't been in a position to make those kinds of expenditures. Things are turning around and with any luck by the turn of decade, those opportunities may once again be a viable option.
    Air Judge
    Deputy Chief Pylon Judge
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE LLC
    http://airbossone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Air Judge View Post
    I worked Sun n Fun last year and we Red Bull there putting on a demo race betwen Kirby C and Michael G. It went well but I can't say how much it influenced the crowd to attend a race. Red Bull can be set up as a linear show which is consistent with the showline at a typical air show...Reno not so much though I'm sure the logistics could be worked out...or perhaps that's already been worked out? Don't know. That said, at a minimum I'd think getting a couple UNL's, a couple Sports or F1's etc. to Oshkosh, Sun n Fun, or a few other more regional show even just on static with RARA's participation and using a couple big screens showing the action, running the NBC series (assuming they have lecense to do so), and other marketing pieces may gain an ROI to some degree. Tons of ideas out there...but it again boils down to the chicken and egg. Takes $$$ to make $$$. And over the last several years, RARA hasn't been in a position to make those kinds of expenditures. Things are turning around and with any luck by the turn of decade, those opportunities may once again be a viable option.
    I've been thinking Reno and the EAA could be a good pairing. While the EAA doesn't really have an interest in racing, most of the planes at Reno fall in the Experimental class, and the Warbirds are warbirds (that EAA does support.) I'd think Oshkosh would be a fantastic realm for RARA to have a booth at minimum, and there are even some racers back there that might be able to be static displays at the very least, or could participate in some mock races if such a thing could be put together. Heck, there are racers from IF1 to Unlimiteds that could make a showing there. What could be better than having a presence at the largest airshow in North America? They should also try and put a booth up at the Chino airshow as well. I'd have to guess a display at Chino could be arranged for very little since the Hinton's are huge supporters of the air races.

Will