Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Whatever happened to....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hawera, NZ
    Posts
    91

    Default Whatever happened to....

    Hi all,
    I've just finished going through the Air Racin' forum since the beginning - it's been very slow at work so I needed to keep busy - and was wondering whatever happened to/any updates on any of the following...

    - Miss Merced and Furias
    - the rumoured rebuild/replica/clone of Miss Ashley II
    - the mystery Griffon Mustang racer in Texas in a workshop with two Hs
    - Shockwave, Wildfire (Matt J posted in January he estimated it might be a year from flight test) and American Spirit aka The Racer aka the Jackson/Cornell project
    - rumours of a Super Corsair II? I may have misread...
    - the restoration of the Bearcat painted as Gulfhawk IV at Chino
    - the Allison Yak at Redding
    - David Hoover's Yak at Hayward
    - the tooling and any drawings created by the late Jim Wright for his beautiful Hughes H-1
    - are the Pond Racer moulds really/still in a trailer at Planes of Fame Valle? There was a Dec 2015 post here saying folks weren't sure what was left and there was a picture of the fuselage plug
    Last edited by ZacYates; 10-10-2017 at 07:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Hi all,
    I've just finished going through the Air Racin' forum since the beginning - it's been very slow at work so I needed to keep busy - and was wondering whatever happened to/any updates on any of the following...

    - Miss Merced and Furias
    *Both owned by T-6 pilot Eric Woelbing in Wisconsin, he's raced for 2 years and wants to bring Furias back 'eventually', maybe he will surprise us with Miss M next year..?
    - the rumoured rebuild/replica/clone of Miss Ashley II
    *I remember this, don't know if it is true
    - the mystery Griffon Mustang racer in Texas in a workshop with two Hs
    *Similar to Miss A II, don't think it's very true
    - Shockwave, Wildfire (Matt J posted in January he estimated it might be a year from flight test) and American Spirit aka The Racer aka the Jackson/Cornell project
    *I might be able to reach out to Matt, after he raced Strega he made it clear he was done racing, I imagine that somewhat slowed down the drive to get it finished
    - rumours of a Super Corsair II? I may have misread...
    - the restoration of the Bearcat painted as Gulfhawk IV at Chino
    *It's in restoration at Chino still, that actually is 1 of the 2 Gulfhawks, the other one painted in yellow civilian scheme is close to airworthy, very close, it is not a Gulfhawk. The other Gulfhawk is Palm Spring's
    - the Allison Yak at Redding
    *Progressing nicely... Slow but steady, going to be a very fast plane, designed to beat the Ghost...
    - David Hoover's Yak at Hayward
    - the tooling and any drawings created by the late Jim Wright for his beautiful Hughes H-1
    - are the Pond Racer moulds really/still in a trailer at Planes of Fame Valle? There was a Dec 2015 post here saying folks weren't sure what was left and there was a picture of the fuselage plug
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '17

  3. #3

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    I can give you a little second hand info, I'm sure there's folks on here that know a lot more then I do. First, from my understanding the Bearcat at Chino was the Gulfhawk that crashed after an engine failure at Oshkiosh several years ago. By the way, I saw that airplane at the Tracy warbird airshow and it was beautiful. I believe Steve Hinton owns it and is rebuilding it. I think they work on it when they have time. I heard it will be painted in military scheme. Personally, I loved the Gulkhawk paint job.

    I heard Wildfire is still being worked on and they hope to have it flying in another year or so. I believe Matt Jackson is involved with the project and is spending a few days a month working on it. It would be interesting to know all the details about this project, since my understanding is that it flew years and years ago. Seems like I read that it had some major stability problems and the flight was basically just around the pattern once. Dave Morse did some taxi test on it a few years ago too. That airplane has a very unique look to it, bordering on scary looking.......that's just my opinion. Seems like I heard the fuselage is a T-6 that has been beefed up.......hopefully someone else can chime in here with more accurate info and details. Wildfire has a website, although the last time I looked it hadn't been updated for awhile.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    I'd be curious to know if the Bearcat being restored is actually being modified like the original Gulfhawk IV was, or is it just being restored to a normal Bearcat configuration? The Gulfhawk IV was actually something like 3000 lbs lighter than a normal Bearcat and therefore it performed much better...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    1,225

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Gulfhawk IV - what a nice looking Bearcat.

    I Googled it and came up with this shot from FlightSimm.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gulfhawk2.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	23094  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Whittier CA, Los Angeles USA
    Posts
    477

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    I can give you a little second hand info, I'm sure there's folks on here that know a lot more then I do. First, from my understanding the Bearcat at Chino was the Gulfhawk that crashed after an engine failure at Oshkiosh several years ago. By the way, I saw that airplane at the Tracy warbird airshow and it was beautiful. I believe Steve Hinton owns it and is rebuilding it. I think they work on it when they have time. I heard it will be painted in military scheme. Personally, I loved the Gulkhawk paint job.

    I heard Wildfire is still being worked on and they hope to have it flying in another year or so. I believe Matt Jackson is involved with the project and is spending a few days a month working on it. It would be interesting to know all the details about this project, since my understanding is that it flew years and years ago. Seems like I read that it had some major stability problems and the flight was basically just around the pattern once. Dave Morse did some taxi test on it a few years ago too. That airplane has a very unique look to it, bordering on scary looking.......that's just my opinion. Seems like I heard the fuselage is a T-6 that has been beefed up.......hopefully someone else can chime in here with more accurate info and details. Wildfire has a website, although the last time I looked it hadn't been updated for awhile.
    There was no mechanical failure on Gulfhawk IV. The pilot was used to the controls in the Mustang and made a mistake. I’ve stomped a brake by mistake in an auto car because I’m used to a clutch, so it’s easy to understand.

    https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA
    Last edited by John H; 10-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    1,225

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    There was no mechanical failure on Gulfhawk IV. The pilot was used to the controls in the Mustang and made a mistake. Iíve stomped a brake by mistake in an auto car because Iím used to a clutch, so itís easy to understand.

    https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA
    Isn't that the truth. Up until last year all 4 of my vehicles were manual trans.

    Several times when I rented cars I hit the brakes, or worse tried to shift the auto lever :-)

    Now I have one auto trans vehicle and its taking some learning to drive the damm thing.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    I'd be curious to know if the Bearcat being restored is actually being modified like the original Gulfhawk IV was, or is it just being restored to a normal Bearcat configuration? The Gulfhawk IV was actually something like 3000 lbs lighter than a normal Bearcat and therefore it performed much better...
    The Gulfhawk in Chino (not the original) also had 2 seats, I think it's the only Bearcat that ever had a second seat in it. I believe the canopy was different to accommodate the second seat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Whittier CA, Los Angeles USA
    Posts
    477

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    The Gulfhawk in Chino (not the original) also had 2 seats, I think it's the only Bearcat that ever had a second seat in it. I believe the canopy was different to accommodate the second seat.
    I just looked at my pic from Sat- no more second seat. it’s been put back to single seat and stock canopy again. It’s a real Deja Vu seeing it go back together again.
    Last edited by John H; 10-12-2017 at 11:15 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Canadian Rockies
    Posts
    2,069

    Default Re: Whatever happened to....

    Howard always kept his poker face, but I think he was impressed:



    Tracy3- by Neal Nurmi, on Flickr

    And regarding Bearcat back seats, I think Race 98 had a back seat with rollover structure removed for a while when Herlihy had it back in the late 1970s.

    Neal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •