Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relentless for Gold 2018?!

Kevin posted on his facebook page...

"New NXT project, after my miserable showing at Reno this year I decided to keep Relentless and execute my plan to finally win all! 2018 is my year and I know exactly what the plane needs to bump Sharp and Jeff Lavelle from the top spots in the books. Look what my Black Ops guys are up to. Andy Chiavetta started this idea on another NXT customer and we are going forward with it. New cowling, engine, single seat, version of Relentless to win in 2018... stay tuned."

Finally!!!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Relentless for Gold 2018?!

It's hard to decipher, but from the comments on his post, it sounds like this is different airframe than Relentless. A single seat/big tail version that Andy Chiavetta has. With a LyCon engine!!
    Last edited by CJAM427; 10-06-2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Yes, a bit hard to decipher. Still, a single seat NXT would look badass. I can't wait to see what this one looks like. I think the Sport class is about to take its next step in evolution. Do I hear the top 3 in class all running faster than 400 mph average? Jeff Levelle has been at the front for a long time, but this year, perhaps the writing was on the wall. Andrew Findley was looking really good on Sunday till he flipped the wrong switch. Andrew has come a very long way in a short period of time developing his plane. Even with the oops this year, I have a feeling they learned a lot. With a new, cleaner NXt being built, hang on to your hats.

This also raises the question of what John Sharp is going to do with Blue 2. It seems like the Falconer V12 is all tapped out, so how does one make an already high strung Thunder Mustang survive at 400+ for a full race? Will we see a turtle decked Blue 2 next year, or does he rebuild the engine from this year and simply hope the faster planes all pop?

However it plays out, I have a feeling its going to be exciting to watch.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        Yes, a bit hard to decipher. Still, a single seat NXT would look badass. I can't wait to see what this one looks like. I think the Sport class is about to take its next step in evolution. Do I hear the top 3 in class all running faster than 400 mph average? Jeff Levelle has been at the front for a long time, but this year, perhaps the writing was on the wall. Andrew Findley was looking really good on Sunday till he flipped the wrong switch. Andrew has come a very long way in a short period of time developing his plane. Even with the oops this year, I have a feeling they learned a lot. With a new, cleaner NXt being built, hang on to your hats.

This also raises the question of what John Sharp is going to do with Blue 2. It seems like the Falconer V12 is all tapped out, so how does one make an already high strung Thunder Mustang survive at 400+ for a full race? Will we see a turtle decked Blue 2 next year, or does he rebuild the engine from this year and simply hope the faster planes all pop?

However it plays out, I have a feeling its going to be exciting to watch.

Will
        I thought it was a whole new airframe too and I have seen pics of the single seat NXT but that was awhile ago. He lead by saying he isn't going to sell Relentless which made me think that is the plane he is going to modify. I would be on board with a different NXT, Relentless is an unlucky airframe. Andy has a very fast plane, Vicky does too. I don't entirely think that those airframes can keep up with Jeff and Kevin next year, but Andy seemed to think he could've won this year. Blue 2 crew is already working on a new engine for 2018. I imagine if it doesn't go well they will think about what else is necessary to win. Turtledeck unlikely for 2018, maybe for the future though. Good rumors so far

Actually now that I think about it, the airframe that I'm thinking of must have been the NXT at Santa Paula. I think Chia had his hand in that one, and I'm positive it was the single seater. I gotta find those pics....
        Was wrong,,,, not a single seater but this is what I was thinking of..
        “Partially completed kit. Requires engine and radios.” Nemesis Do not bid on this aircraft if you don t intend to complete the purchase. This is a high value kit which is

The Haru and Trace NXT concepts come to mind also...
        Last edited by GRNDP51; 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
          You mean John Parker.

As for Sport Gold, it ain't just Kevin and Andy working up some tricks for next year..
          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

There were two single seat NXTs floating around. One that Chia worked on that was supposed to have that wild diesel engine on it. The other is the one that Kevin had originally intended to put the Trace engine on. I believe that one ended up in France with the Big Frog team after the crash of their first NXT.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              There were two single seat NXTs floating around. One that Chia worked on that was supposed to have that wild diesel engine on it. The other is the one that Kevin had originally intended to put the Trace engine on. I believe that one ended up in France with the Big Frog team after the crash of their first NXT.
              I did some research this afternoon, I'm pretty sure it's the one that was to have the diesel engine.

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                I did some research this afternoon, I'm pretty sure it's the one that was to have the diesel engine.
                That's what I think too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                  You mean John Parker.

As for Sport Gold, it ain't just Kevin and Andy working up some tricks for next year..
                  Yes, John Parker. Duh.

The more the merrier, as I said, 2018 could be a major step in the evolution of the class. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Will

Comment

...As for Sport Gold, it ain't just Kevin and Andy working up some tricks for next year..
                    So Tom, how about a progress report on your mighty Legacy. Does she have a name?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                      So Tom, how about a progress report on your mighty Legacy. Does she have a name?
                      Ok, I am probably overdue for an update here. I'll resurrect another thread I have on it. No name yet, I'm terrible at that. 'Expensive' comes to mind..
                      Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Ok, I am probably overdue for an update here. I'll resurrect another thread I have on it. No name yet, I'm terrible at that. 'Expensive' comes to mind..
                        Hmm - name that plane? "Pricey" would be a decent name as it's a synonym for expensive. Should we make this a "name-Tom's-airplane" contest?

Or how about "Charlie?" As in Charlie from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as this will be your gold ticket ride to the gold heat?
                        Last edited by FlyKidChris; 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                          Hmm - name that plane? "Pricey" would be a decent name as it's a synonym for expensive. Should we make this a "name-Tom's-airplane" contest?

Or how about "Charlie?" As in Charlie from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as this will be your gold ticket ride to the gold heat?
                          haha The problem with referencing the value of it is that it is all relative. I'm usually broke, so everything is expensive. It is a freaking deal compared to what it costs to make an Unlimited go as fast as a Sport Gold airplane. lol
                          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                          X